Shallow Water Seal Design for ROV Thruster Assembly

In summary, the speaker is looking to design a waterproof shaft seal for an underwater ROV and has found that using o-rings recessed into grooves is the easiest method. They are wondering if this simple seal will be enough for the expected operating depth of 4 meters and if there is any advice on how to machine it. They clarify that the seal is for a stepper motor that will adjust the angle of the thruster, which will be slow and occasional movement. The speaker also asks about turning a groove on the inside of the shaft, to which the other person recommends putting the seals in a replaceable housing around the shaft or machining the grooves on the turning part of the shaft. They also mention the possibility of using a hollow
madacho
I asked another question in a previous thread, but this is a new issue so here's a new thread:

Basically I need to design some kind of waterproof shaft seal for the use of an underwater ROV. Following some earlier advice, I looked into the Parker O-ring Handbook and found the easiest way is just to have o-rings complete the seal, recessed into grooves.

The operating depth I expect to be working in will be no more than 4 meters, so it will be fairly shallow... will this simple o-ring seal be enough to keep water out? And if so, any advice as to how I should go about machining this seal?

It is going to be for a stepper motor that will let my thruster assembly rotate.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
How fast is it going to rotate?
If you just want a seal for the pitch bearing of a moveable thruster then an o'ring set would be fine (slow occasional movement)
If you want to seal the drive shaft of a prop ( continual fast movement) then it's trickier.

You want to use a number of O ring (3-4?) in a row. Probably easiest to turn the grooves in the shaft, you will also want some sort of collar to hold the shaft in place.

yea, its going to be slow occasional movement... a stepper or servo motor that adjusts the angle of the thruster from like 90 degrees, 45 degrees, etc... its not going to be as fast as like the thruster itself, and its not going to be constantly in motion

how would i turn a groove on the inside of a shaft thing though? the manual had pictures that implied cutting a groove on the inside, while the shaft itself was intact. but i guess it would be easier to cut a groove on the shaft itself...

Most boat prop shaft seals put the seals in a replaceable housing around the shaft.
This keeps the prop shaft intact and stronger but in your case it's probably easier to have the o ring grooves on the part that turns because it will be easier to machine and assemble.

I assume you are going to want a hollow shaft because you need to get power out to the thruster motor so you migth as well do all the tricky maching on this part.

1. What is the purpose of a shallow water seal in ROV thruster assembly?

The shallow water seal is designed to prevent water from entering the thruster assembly, which can cause damage to the internal components. It also helps to maintain the pressure inside the assembly, allowing the thrusters to function properly.

2. How is the shallow water seal designed?

The design of the shallow water seal for ROV thruster assembly involves creating a barrier between the internal components of the thruster and the external environment. This is typically achieved through the use of O-rings, gaskets, or other types of seals that are placed around the opening of the thruster.

3. What materials are commonly used in shallow water seal design for ROV thruster assembly?

Some common materials used in shallow water seal design include rubber, silicone, and plastic. These materials are chosen for their ability to create a tight seal and their resistance to water and other external factors.

4. How is the effectiveness of a shallow water seal tested?

The effectiveness of a shallow water seal is typically tested through pressure testing. This involves subjecting the thruster assembly to different levels of pressure and ensuring that the seal holds up and prevents water from entering the assembly.

5. What are some common factors that can affect the performance of a shallow water seal?

Factors that can affect the performance of a shallow water seal include the quality of the seal material, the design of the seal, and the pressure and temperature conditions that the assembly will be subjected to. Inadequate seal design or use of low-quality materials can result in seal failure and potential damage to the thruster assembly.