Minimize charging time of a battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the specifications and concerns regarding charging a lithium ion battery using a 120V DC source with an internal resistance of 40 Ohms. The battery's EMF is 10V with an internal resistance of 1kOhms. The conversation mentions the need for a proper charger to avoid potential fire hazards and discusses the risks of charging lithium batteries too quickly or overcharging them. The conversation also questions the accuracy of the given internal resistance value and the source of the 10V EMF and 120V DC. Additionally, it suggests purchasing a charger that is specifically designed for lithium ion batteries.
quuker
the source is 120V DC with an internal resistance of 40 Ohms. the battery's emf is 10V with an internal resistance of 1kOhms. what can i add to the circuit to improve the charging time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Different batteries types have different charging requirements. What type are you recharging, and what is it, and from what level of discharge is it being charged from?

Last edited:
it's an lithium ion battery.

Lithium is very tricky to recharge. Rechargers on the market rely upon microcontrollers to quick charge, and then to top-off. Lithium batteries tend to be a fire hazard if charged too quickly or are overcharged. They sell little fire supressing bags to recharge them into keep you from burning down your house due to a mishap. They can explode in a very exothermic fireball.

1) I'm suspicous of the 1K Ohm internal resistance value you've given. It sounds way too high.

2) One wouldn't normally charge a ~10 volt battery with 120 volts. To trickle charge you would use some supply, nominally greater than 10 volts, and include a limiting resistor, and cut-off voltage control for lithium.

3) Lithium ion cells output 3.6-3.7 volts. Where does the 10 volts come from?

4) Where do you get 120 volts DC? Rectification of the 120 VAC line gives you 168 volts.

5) Why don't you purchase a charger that won't burn down your mother's house?

Last edited:

1. How can I minimize the charging time of my battery?

There are several ways to minimize the charging time of a battery. One way is to use a charger that is specifically designed for your type of battery, as this will ensure that the battery is charged at the optimal rate. Additionally, you can avoid overcharging the battery by unplugging it once it is fully charged. Another method is to use a higher voltage charger, but this should only be done if the battery is compatible with the higher voltage.

2. Is it safe to use a fast charger to minimize charging time?

It is generally safe to use a fast charger to minimize charging time, as long as the charger is compatible with your battery. However, using a fast charger too frequently can decrease the overall lifespan of the battery. It is recommended to only use a fast charger when necessary and to use a regular charger for everyday charging.

3. Can I use my device while it is charging to speed up the charging process?

Yes, you can use your device while it is charging, but it may actually slow down the charging process. This is because using the device requires power from the battery, which can offset the charging process. It is best to avoid using the device while it is charging if you want to minimize the charging time.

4. How often should I fully charge my battery to minimize charging time?

It is recommended to fully charge your battery only when necessary, as frequent full charges can decrease the overall lifespan of the battery. Partial charges are actually better for the battery's health and can also minimize the charging time. However, it is still important to fully charge the battery at least once every few months to maintain its health.

5. Can I use a power bank to minimize charging time?

Yes, you can use a power bank to minimize charging time, but it may not always be the most efficient method. Power banks typically have a lower output power, so it may take longer to charge your device compared to using a regular charger. It is best to use a power bank as a backup option for when you do not have access to a regular charger.