10.1 megapixel camera, object is 18,877.90 feet away from me, can I see it?

• Thread starter Max CR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary: This is equivalent to a focal length of about 115 mm (assuming you're using a standard lens).Thus, your camera will be able to see the object at a distance of 18,888.90 ft provided the optics are good enough and the object is not too small in size.
Max CR
I have a 10.1 megapixel camera. If an object is 18,877.90 feet away from me, will my camera be able to see it?

This is a non-school related project that I am doing in order to be awarded scholarships. If anybody knows how I can calculate this answer please let me know.

Please include all equations and work so I know how to do this with other cameras. THank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it a mountain or a mole hill?

You need to know the size of the object, and whether the requirements for "see[ing] it" are simply a single pixel or a certain number of pixels.

THat is true. This item is a cylinder. It has a height of 43 inches, a width of 3 inches, and a circumference of 10 inches.

Thanks

I assume this is a grade school project of some sort. I'd just recommend reading something like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_resolution it explains things as good as I could.

P.S. stating the width AND circumference of a cylinder is redundant

What about optical zoom, or optics in general if any?

Max CR said:
I have a 10.1 megapixel camera. If an object is 18,877.90 feet away from me, will my camera be able to see it?

This is a non-school related project that I am doing in order to be awarded scholarships. If anybody knows how I can calculate this answer please let me know.

Please include all equations and work so I know how to do this with other cameras. THank you!

Since you give no information about the optical system used to image the object, it's impossible to say. And in any case, "minimum resolvability" is very poorly defined.

In order to figure it out, you need at least the field of view, the size of the object, and some estimate of the contrast. From the first two you get the size of the imaged object in pixels (assuming this is a monochrome CCD and not a color CCD with a bayer filter, for example), and from the constrast estimate you can determine the signal-to-noise ratio, which will tell you if you can distinguish the object from background. For example, you can often see electrical power lines against the sky at great distances even though the line diameter is below the resolution limit of the eyeball- you detect the power line, you don't image the power line.

A 3.5' object visible at 3.5 miles distance??

I think we'll have to assume optimum viewing and contrast conditions. Mention them, but otherwise I'd think it reduces to a geometry problem.

Andy raises a good point. A critical piece of info missing is the field-of-view or zoom factor on the camera.

For your telescopic lens with a circular aperture, you need to have an angular resolution (Rayleigh criterion, diffraction limit) of 1.22 lambda / diameter = 1.22 x 3 inches/(12 x 18,888 ft) = 16 microradians = 3.3 seconds of arc, where lambda = wavelength of light (about 0.5 microns = 5 x 10-4 millimeters). Assuming your camera pixel width is .003 mm (you need to determine this), the objective lens focal length FL has to be at least
FL = (0.003 mm x 12 x 18888/ 3) mm.

What is a 10.1 megapixel camera?

A 10.1 megapixel camera refers to the number of pixels or picture elements in the camera's image sensor. This camera has 10.1 million pixels, allowing for higher resolution images compared to cameras with fewer megapixels.

What does it mean for an object to be 18,877.90 feet away?

An object being 18,877.90 feet away means that it is approximately 3.57 miles away from the observer. This distance is often used in long distance measurements, such as in astronomy or surveying.

Can I see the object with a 10.1 megapixel camera from that distance?

It depends on the size and clarity of the object and the quality of the camera's lens. A 10.1 megapixel camera has a high resolution, but it may not be able to capture small or distant objects in great detail. Factors such as lighting and atmospheric conditions also play a role in visibility.

What factors affect the visibility of an object at 18,877.90 feet?

The visibility of an object at 18,877.90 feet can be affected by various factors such as the size and distance of the object, the quality of the camera's lens, lighting conditions, atmospheric conditions, and the observer's vision. Other factors such as the object's color and contrast can also impact its visibility.

How can I improve the visibility of an object at 18,877.90 feet using a 10.1 megapixel camera?

To improve the visibility of an object at that distance using a 10.1 megapixel camera, you can try using a tripod to stabilize the camera, adjusting the focus and aperture settings, and using a higher quality lens. You can also improve the image in post-processing by adjusting the contrast and brightness levels. However, the visibility of the object will ultimately depend on various external factors.