Continuity Equation - Why do the flow rates have to be equal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the equation of continuity in university physics and how it relates to the conservation of mass principle. The speakers question how one can intuitively conclude that flow rates would have to be the same without experimentation and one speaker explains how the assumption of no "sink" or "source" leads to this conclusion. The equation of continuity is also mentioned, with the divergence of (\rhov) representing the mass flow rate. The continuity equation is described as a statement of the conservation of mass principle and its application is discussed in relation to flow rates through two areas.
Shackleford
I'm reading my fluids chapter in my University Physics textbook. We actually didn't go over this in my University Physics I course. :uhh:

At any rate, I'm looking at the equation of continuity. In explaining it, it says the flow rates through two areas have to be the same because there is no flow in or out. I googled another explanation; it says the masses have to be the same - conservation of mass. This elucidates it a bit better for me. If you choose an arbitrary amount of mass through an area, of course, if there is no exchange of mass with the surroundings the mass will eventually pass through another area. Without doing experimentation, how could you intuitively conclude that the flow rates would have to be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:
I'm reading my fluids chapter in my University Physics textbook. We actually didn't go over this in my University Physics I course. :uhh:

At any rate, I'm looking at the equation of continuity. In explaining it, it says the flow rates through two areas have to be the same because there is no flow in or out. I googled another explanation; it says the masses have to be the same - conservation of mass. This elucidates it a bit better for me. If you choose an arbitrary amount of mass through an area, of course, if there is no exchange of mass with the surroundings the mass will eventually pass through another area. Without doing experimentation, how could you intuitively conclude that the flow rates would have to be the same?

Let's consider a pipe and try to prove that the flow rate for two points on the pipe--call them A and B--is the same. Think about the volume between A and B. If water flows into this volume from point A more quickly than it flows out at point B, the volume would have to grow. That's not possible, so flow rate has to be the same at A and B.

Shackleford said:
<snip>

If you choose an arbitrary amount of mass through an area, of course, if there is no exchange of mass with the surroundings the mass will eventually pass through another area. Without doing experimentation, how could you intuitively conclude that the flow rates would have to be the same?

I wonder if you are having confusion between mass flow and volumetric flow. Otherwise, how could you conclude differently?

You are, of course, assuming there is no "sink" or "source". If there is no source at a point, there can be no increase of volume or mass so the amount going in cannot be greater than the amount going out. If there is no sin, there can be no decrease of volume or mass so the amount going in cannot be less than the amount going out.

the equation of continuity is:

[itex]
\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho \mathbf{v}) = 0
[/itex]

You can think of the divergence of ([tex]\rho[/tex]v) as the mass flow rate 'out of a point' (or an infinitesimally small volume surrounding the point). Only under stationary conditions must the divergence at each point be zero.

The continuity equation is a statement of the conservation of mass principle. Think about where, in what form (ie, integrated in an open control volume?), and under what conditions (stationary? constant density?) you are applying it for you to be able to deduce that flow rate through two areas (which areas?) have to be the same.

1. Why is the continuity equation important in fluid mechanics?

The continuity equation is important in fluid mechanics because it describes the principle of conservation of mass. It states that the mass of a fluid entering a system must equal the mass of the fluid leaving the system, which is essential in understanding and predicting fluid flow behavior.

2. How is the continuity equation derived?

The continuity equation is derived from the conservation of mass principle, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed. It is also based on the assumption of incompressible flow, meaning that the density of the fluid remains constant. By applying these principles to a control volume, the continuity equation can be derived mathematically.

3. Why do the flow rates have to be equal in the continuity equation?

The continuity equation states that the mass flow rate at any given point in a system must be equal to the mass flow rate at any other point in the system. This is because mass cannot be created or destroyed, therefore the total mass entering a system must equal the total mass leaving the system.

4. Can the continuity equation be applied to any type of fluid flow?

Yes, the continuity equation can be applied to any type of fluid flow, as long as the fluid is incompressible. This includes both liquids and gases, as well as steady and unsteady flows.

5. How is the continuity equation used in practical applications?

The continuity equation is used in practical applications such as designing pipelines and pumps, analyzing fluid flow in hydraulic systems, and understanding the flow of blood in the human body. It is also used in the development of mathematical models and simulations to predict and control fluid behavior in various engineering and scientific fields.