Is Navy Nuclear Engineering the Best Path for a Technical Engineering Career?

In summary: The degree isn't as important as the skills and experience you will gain. The curriculum for the Nuc school is very good, and the degree you receive is equivalent to a MS in Nuclear Engineering. However, if you decide to leave the Navy and pursue a MS, the admission process might be a little bit tougher. I'm not sure if you would get a degree out of the program, but I think it would be a great experience.
TheDoorsOfMe
Does anybody know anything about the Navy Nuclear Engineering program? Things like how competitive the program is? What kind of work would I do while in the Navy? and how do the skills learned in their program relate to work outside of the navy once done?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
TheDoorsOfMe said:
Does anybody know anything about the Navy Nuclear Engineering program? Things like how competitive the program is? What kind of work would I do while in the Navy? and how do the skills learned in their program relate to work outside of the navy once done?

Thanks,

Are you referring to the the officer or enlisted program?

OmCheeto said:
Are you referring to the the officer or enlisted program?

Yea, good question.

Long ago I talked with a recruiter about this. My advice: never talk to an enlisted recruiter about anything. I'd describe the information they gave me as outright lies.

From what I managed to piece together later, an officer will spend most of their time either on an aircraft carrier or sub. These jobs can be hard on the family life, but there's worse things you could be doing as a single person. There are some private jobs you can move into when you leave, but while these pay well they can be few and far between. The Nuclear Engineering program isn't going to get you into real PhD style research - get a PhD from a good uni for that.

That information is about 6 years old, but I really don't think it has changed much. Take it as you will.

I'm referring to the Officer program.

Those are some good links dianzi thanks!

Do you think it would look good for getting into nuclear research Locrian? I ask that because I want do something more out in world before I start doing more research, like traveling and gaining a variety of experiences. I thought this looked like a good opportunity to do that while still remaining in my field.

Usually one obtains a BS in phyiscs or nuclear engineering before going into the naval nuclear program - as an officer. Out of high school, one would enter the enlisted ranks. One of my classmates went on to the naval program. He ended up teaching for a bit, then took command of an attack sub.

The real research is done at places like Bettis and Knolls labs, who do the materials and reactor research and development. One would need at least an MS and preferably a PhD.

But if one wants to travel for a bit, then the Navy program would be a good option.

The Navy Nuclear Power progam is some of the best technical training available. Great preperation for any technical field.

Did you do the program? edgepflow

TheDoorsOfMe said:
Do you think it would look good for getting into nuclear research Locrian?

My guess is no. It might help you get into the PhD program you need to actually do research, and it might provide background, but it is a long ways from working with a reactor and doing reasearch into improving them.

Of course there could be other benefits - travel, discipline, character growth, $$.

Be prepared, by the way - getting in as an officer is not a trivial process.

TheDoorsOfMe said:
Did you do the program? edgepflow
No, but during my nuclear engineering undergraduate studies, several of my classmates had just finished the nuclear navy training and entered the NE program as freshman. They were all exceptional students with a monster work ethic.

Would there be an advantage of going to graduate school for a MS in Nuclear Engineering over going into Nuc school? Is the curriculum for the Nuc school just as good as a MS program else were? Do you even get a degree out of the program? I am talking about the officer program.

Winzer said:
Would there be an advantage of going to graduate school for a MS in Nuclear Engineering over going into Nuc school? Is the curriculum for the Nuc school just as good as a MS program else were? Do you even get a degree out of the program? I am talking about the officer program.

Obviously it's a totally different experience. Depending on what you want to do, the management skills will probably be more valuable if you choose to leave the Navy. If you are really interested in a technical engineering job are you sure you want to do the Navy route?

1. What is Navy Nuclear Engineering?

Navy Nuclear Engineering is a specialized field within the United States Navy that focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of nuclear propulsion systems used in Navy vessels. This includes operating and maintaining nuclear reactors, as well as overseeing the safety and security of these systems.

2. What types of careers are available in Navy Nuclear Engineering?

There are several career paths within Navy Nuclear Engineering, including nuclear technicians, nuclear power instructors, and nuclear power officers. These roles involve different levels of training and responsibility, but all involve working with nuclear propulsion systems.

3. How does one become a Navy Nuclear Engineer?

To become a Navy Nuclear Engineer, one must first enlist in the Navy and then complete the Nuclear Power School program, which includes classroom training and hands-on experience with nuclear reactors. After completing this program, individuals can then choose to specialize in a specific area of nuclear engineering.

4. What are the benefits of a career in Navy Nuclear Engineering?

There are many benefits to a career in Navy Nuclear Engineering, including job stability, high pay, and opportunities for advancement. Additionally, Navy Nuclear Engineers gain valuable technical and leadership skills that can be applied in a variety of fields outside of the military.

5. Is Navy Nuclear Engineering safe?

Yes, Navy Nuclear Engineering is a highly regulated and closely monitored field, with strict safety protocols in place. Additionally, all Navy Nuclear Engineers undergo extensive training and must pass rigorous exams to ensure they are qualified to work with nuclear reactors. Safety is a top priority in this field.