Magnetic field due to current loop

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem that was difficult, but eventually realized they had made a mistake. Their final solution was incorrect because they did not take into account the partial angle of the circle.
exitwound

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu i \phi}{4 R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The field due to the curve R_1 is:

[tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu i \phi}{4 R}[/tex]

[tex]\vec B = \frac{(1.26x10^-6)(.281)(\pi)}{4 (.023)} = -1.21x10^-5 \hat k [/tex]

The field due to the curve R_2 is:

[tex]\vec B = \frac{(1.26x10^-6)(.281)(\pi)}{4 (.066)} = 4.21x10^-6 \hat k[/tex]

Add 'em up and you get [itex]-7.88x10^-6 k[/itex] but apparently it's wrong.

What the heck am I doing wrong?? I even derived the formula separate from the book to ensure I knew what was going on.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, what's the [tex]\phi[/tex] in the formula? The fraction of the circle? Note that the formula for a full loop is

[tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{2 R} \hat z[/tex]

so you have already taken into account that you are dealing with only half a loop by multiplying with 1/2, getting a 4 in the denominator.

Now, the field due to the outer loop is:

[tex]\vec B_2 = \frac{\mu_0 i}{4 R_2} \hat z[/tex]

and the inner loop:

[tex]\vec B_1 = -\frac{\mu_0 i}{4 R_1} \hat z[/tex]

Adding:

[tex]\vec B=\frac{\mu_0 i}{4 R_2} \hat z +\left( -\frac{\mu_0 i}{4 R_1} \hat z\right)=-\frac{\mu i}{4}\left(R_1^{-1}-R_2^{-1} \right) \hat z[/tex]

Inserting the numericals I get:
(EDIT: The radii should of course be in meters!)
[tex]\vec B=-\frac{4\pi\times10^{-7}\cdot 0.281}{4}\left(0.023^{-1}-0.066^{-1}\right)=-2.5\times 10^{-6}\hat z\,\mathrm{T}[/tex]
(with a little help from Wolfram Alpha)

So, you must have punched wrong on the calculatur somewhere :) Try to construct a complete expression before inserting numericals, that greatly reduces that risk

Last edited:
Phi is the partial angle of the circle. In this case, it's pi.

In your calculations, there's no variable for how far around the circle the loop goes. You need to have a phi to calculate whether or not you're going 360 degrees around the point, or 180, or 90 etc.

exitwound said:
In your calculations, there's no variable for how far around the circle the loop goes.

Oh but there is - it's the very first paragraph of my reply :)

exitwound said:
You need to have a phi to calculate whether or not you're going 360 degrees around the point, or 180, or 90 etc.

No.

You need to multiply with the fraction of the circle you are dealing with. A full circle gives one value, a half circle gives half that value. Straight forward

The equation should be:

[tex]
\vec B = \frac{\mu i \phi}{4\pi R}
[/tex]

So when [itex]\pi[/itex] is put into Phi, the equation comes out as

[tex]
\vec B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{4 R} \hat z
[/tex]

which is one half the full circle equation that you posted.

(you edited your post, and your first paragraph changed)

exitwound said:
The equation should be:

[tex]
\vec B = \frac{\mu i \phi}{4\pi R}
[/tex]

So when [itex]\pi[/itex] is put into Phi, the equation comes out as

[tex]
\vec B = \frac{\mu_0 i}{4 R} \hat z
[/tex]

which is one half the full circle equation that you posted.

(you edited your post, and your first paragraph changed)

Oh yes, and I have to edit it again I'm affraid - seems I messed up my units on the radii - sorry :) :)

Guess what, I submitted -2.5e-6 and it's wrong too.

exitwound said:
Guess what, I submitted -2.5e-6 and it's wrong too.

Come to think of it, it says "magnitude" so a personal guess of mine is you should prob. omit the minus...

Thats the correct answer. No negative. This is why I HATE HATE HATE this crappy online submission system. If that was handed into a homework grader, I might have gotten 9/10 on it. But online would give me 0/10.

I complained to the dean about it, but he said they don't have enough money to pay staff to check 900 students' homeworks. They have enough money to constantly upgrade the football stadium though (Penn state). Did I Mention i HATE this format of homework?

1. What is a magnetic field due to a current loop?

A magnetic field due to a current loop is a magnetic field that is created by an electric current flowing through a closed loop of wire. It is a type of magnetic field that is created by a circulating electric current and has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined in a current loop?

The direction of the magnetic field in a current loop is determined by the right-hand rule. When the right hand is wrapped around the current loop with the fingers pointing in the direction of the current, the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a current loop?

The strength of the magnetic field in a current loop is affected by the magnitude of the current, the number of turns in the loop, and the size of the loop. The closer the current is to the center of the loop, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

4. How does the shape of the current loop affect the magnetic field?

The shape of the current loop can affect the magnetic field in several ways. A larger loop will produce a stronger magnetic field, while a smaller loop will produce a weaker magnetic field. Additionally, the shape of the loop can impact the direction and distribution of the magnetic field lines.

5. What are some real-world applications of the magnetic field in a current loop?

The magnetic field in a current loop has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines to produce images of internal body structures. Additionally, magnetic fields from current loops are used in particle accelerators to control the path of charged particles.