What is the scariest scientific concept?

In summary, the conversation revolves around various scientific concepts that freak people out, such as the idea of time having no end, the boundaries of the universe, human evolution, and death. Some people find comfort in the idea of an afterlife, while others find it scary to think about their finite existence. The conversation also touches upon the atomic bomb, artificial intelligence, and the inevitability of death. Many participants recall their childhood fears and experiences with mortality, with some finding solace in the words of their grandmothers. Overall, the conversation highlights the fear and fascination surrounding scientific concepts that challenge our understanding of the world and our place in it.
lawtonfogle said:
Either way, no free will, only an illusion of it at best.
I don't agree, the mind is very powerful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Molydood said:
topics that freak you out? What about trying to think about the boundaries of the universe? etc

Yes, some results from experimental psychology on "human nature". For example Milgram's "torture experiment" or one of its variations, or perhaps the more famous (albeit perhaps scientifically less sound) Stanford prison experiment.

Physics does not "freak me out" anymore, I guess it is simply because I am used to "weird" concepts in QM etc by now, having worked with them for a few years,
But the results of Milgram's experiment is actually scares, even though I am quite cynical when it comes to humanity.
They actually reproduced the original experiment in a recent BBC documentary and it is one of the most unsettling things I've ever seen on TV.

f95toli said:
Yes, some results from experimental psychology on "human nature".
That's actually the first thing that came to my mind, people like Mengele. Something that truly scared me recently was this wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unnecessary_Fuss" . I know animal research is important, but the thought of deliberately inflicting brain damage to baboons and laughing about it really made me sick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Molydood said:
Something that always freaks me out is the idea that time has no end, every time I think about it I get properly wierded out.

If we believed that time itself had an end, that would bother me more.

A few somewhat related things that are weird to me, but only if I spend too much time thinking about them:

We have a small number of stable subatomic particles. The positively and negatively charged ones are so utterly different in their properties, and that somehow allows them to combine to form a variety of elements from which stars, planets, and life can be formed. (For example if protons and electrons had roughly the same mass, would there be large atoms? If so, would it be as easy to ionize them as it is the ones we actually have?)

Our solar system had to come along later than others, so that it could contain heavier elements (that formed from fusion of H and He in earlier stars) from which life can be formed.

Our planet's orbit is located within a narrow range, so that water can exist in a liquid state and life (as we know it) can form.

Lying in bed as a young child, I used to see "atoms" in the dark. Apparently one was alive and would chase me through my nightmares, until it grabbed my neck and I whited out, hopefully to wake up.

Years later, I realized its humility by recognizing that it was now merely insect scat.

Monique said:
That's actually the first thing that came to my mind, people like Mengele.

Well, yes. But we can quite safely regard Mengele and other famous "monsters" as anomalies. The reason why I find Milgram's experiment so unsettling is that it shows that most of us (something like 70-80% according to these experiments) are capable of doing things that we would normally regards as horrible, the only thing needed is that someone who we regard as an authority figure tells us to do it. Note that we are talking about "normal" people, not e.g. people who've had some sort of traumatic experience or have some sort of psychiatric disorder. It seems to be that way our brains work.
Moreover, there doesn't seem to be a clear patter for who are able "resist" this influence meaning none of us can say for sure that we would never do these thing.

It is also entirely possible that if the test subjects were all members of this forum the percentage that would "go all the way" would be even higher than the average, the reason being that the rationale for the "shock therapy" given by Milgram was that it was suppose to help science, meaning people who think science is important (member of this forum) might be more inclined to go along with it.

Well, yes. But we can quite safely regard Mengele and other famous "monsters" as anomalies. The reason why I find Milgram's experiment so unsettling is that it shows that most of us (something like 70-80% according to these experiments) are capable of doing things that we would normally regards as horrible, the only thing needed is that someone who we regard as an authority figure tells us to do it. Note that we are talking about "normal" people, not e.g. people who've had some sort of traumatic experience or have some sort of psychiatric disorder. It seems to be that way our brains work.
Moreover, there doesn't seem to be a clear patter for who are able "resist" this influence meaning none of us can say for sure that we would never do these thing.
I think that results of that experiment would vary greatly depending on where and what era you do the experiment in. You can't conclude all people are like that just from one experiment.

Loren Booda said:
Lying in bed as a young child, I used to see "atoms" in the dark. Apparently one was alive and would chase me through my nightmares, until it grabbed my neck and I whited out, hopefully to wake up.

Years later, I realized its humility by recognizing that it was now merely insect scat.

:bugeye:

The "atoms" your were seeing were insect scat?

What? Floating around above your bed??

Loren Booda said:

I'm trying to think of something funny to say here but I can't do it. Man you said insect scat was floating around your head and I can't think of anything funny what's wrong with me today. :(

This isn't related, but one night when I had a fever I was lying in bed and as clear as day, with my bed lamp on, thought I saw myself walk into the middle of the room with a huge ruck sack in his/my back. He/I turned and stared at me while I was looking right back at him/myself.

He stayed after I blinked and spoke. I think I blacked out but the next morning I woke up and everything was normal. A friend later told me that I had "waking dream". I had always thought that was something for movies, but apparently you can have a dream that is so convincing that you actually have no idea that you are asleep as is the case in most dreams.

That was probably one of the scariest moments I have ever experienced. I still remember it vividly to this day. I imagine a psychologist would have a field day with the contents of the dream.

Pattonias said:
This isn't related, but one night when I had a fever I was lying in bed and as clear as day, with my bed lamp on, thought I saw myself walk into the middle of the room with a huge ruck sack in his/my back. He/I turned and stared at me while I was looking right back at him/myself.

He stayed after I blinked and spoke. I think I blacked out but the next morning I woke up and everything was normal. A friend later told me that I had "waking dream". I had always thought that was something for movies, but apparently you can have a dream that is so convincing that you actually have no idea that you are asleep as is the case in most dreams.

That was probably one of the scariest moments I have ever experienced. I still remember it vividly to this day. I imagine a psychologist would have a field day with the contents of the dream.
That is a hallucination, brought on by fever.

Sorry! said:
I'm trying to think of something funny to say here but I can't do it. Man you said insect scat was floating around your head and I can't think of anything funny what's wrong with me today. :(
Actually, the "atoms" were my retinal rods firing from photons in the near-dark, the one that chased me during my early years might be described as a very threatening "black hole" (or was derived from a stay in a cabin with scary knotholes) and the eventual change of its image into insect scat (while dreaming, now under control in my hand, yuck, but just that of an insect) made it more ridiculous than dangerous.

Molydood said:
The qustion is, are there any scientific concepts/topics that freak you out? What about trying to think about the boundaries of the universe? etc

Gravitation.

DaveC426913 said:
That is a hallucination, brought on by fever.

Yep, one of the many things that make high fevers so much fun. :tongue2:

Thanks for all the comments :-)
I am quite surprised there were not more about time and also maybe other things like particle duality (or more generally the quantum world) or the vastness of space or, or, or...
:-)

DaveC426913 said:
:bugeye:

The "atoms" your were seeing were insect scat?

What? Floating around above your bed??

Loren Booda said:
Actually, the "atoms" were my retinal rods firing from photons in the near-dark, the one that chased me during my early years might be described as a very threatening "black hole" (or was derived from a stay in a cabin with scary knotholes) and the eventual change of its image into insect scat (while dreaming, now under control in my hand, yuck, but just that of an insect) made it more ridiculous than dangerous.

Its funny that this happened to me too. I used to see "static" like on a television (gives you an idea of my generation there) in front of my eyes at night when I was trying to sleep. "They" would not go away and I determined one night in my mind that these "static" entities (I watched too much star trek the next generation probably) were really my friends and not weird oppressive beings that would not leave me alone. I later read that these 'dots' and such are apparently bacteria and other micro organisms floating on the lens of the eye.

Its good to know that I am not a total freak, except perhaps for 'making friends' with the bacteria and microorganisms in my eyes.

Molydood said:
I am quite surprised there were not more about time and also maybe other things like particle duality (or more generally the quantum world) or the vastness of space or, or, or...

Being consumed by nanobots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo"

TheStatutoryApe said:
Its good to know that I am not a total freak, except perhaps for 'making friends' with the bacteria and microorganisms in my eyes.

haha, i see the static too, but also during light. I must have a lot!

http://www.visualsnow.com

Greg Bernhardt said:
haha, i see the static too, but also during light. I must have a lot!

http://www.visualsnow.com
Very interesting, so it can be a type of "migraine". I have had two opthalmic migraines that have the cool glowing crescent filled with undulating geometric designs. I wish I could have another, it was the most amazing thing.

f95toli said:
Yes, some results from experimental psychology on "human nature". For example Milgram's "torture experiment" or one of its variations, or perhaps the more famous (albeit perhaps scientifically less sound) Stanford prison experiment.
Isn't the holocaust a direct evidence of such a dark nature of humans.? Not just the holocaust, there were several million wars before the WWII and in each of them not just the soldiers but almost equal number of innocent civilians were also murdered and raped. All these rapes and murders were committed by the apparently normal human beings who were ploughing the fields or making jewels before a particular war started.
I think the whole process involves many steps. Maybe initially they had moral issues. Then due to helplessness and the power of the higher authority-as they perceive it-, they give in. Then the second theory of milgram comes into picture. "He says; I do; Who cares" approach.
Then i think a third step is involved.. Which i think Milgram missed. (I just now read the article on his experiment in wiki though i have thought about this nature of humans before) With prolonged obedient working, humans begin to get joy from the work. Like institutionalism in jails (remember Morgan freeman of the Shawshank Redemption). Killing and massacring seems enjoyable.
I am afraid.

are there any scientific concepts/topics that freak you out?

Cloning, Earth's fragility, and my own sentience.

Only a few truly scared me(and still do, when i think about them); of the few:

That we may all be irrelevant in the universe. We have such egos that makes us believe that we do matter and make a difference, but what if we don't. We are not even in the center of the milky way.

Earth, our universe, is a study/ research and we are small particles being watched on by aliens in white coat. Think of Dr Suess's Nortan Hears a Who. I was surprised he had the same idea i did.

In few billion years the sun will expand and destroy the earth...When I learned about that in the 1st grade that scared me

GRBs. I don't like threats for which there is no possible defense.

Spaghettification - what a way to go!

Global Climate Change - perhaps the greatest challenge ever faced by civilization.

Molydood said:

Those would be the sorts of things that motivated me to get a physics degree. "Scary" is not the word that comes to mind. :biggrin:

Borg said:
Being consumed by nanobots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo"

that one got me for a while too, back in the 90's actually when I first got interested in physics

Ivan Seeking said:
GRBs. I don't like threats for which there is no possible defense.

Spaghettification - what a way to go!

Global Climate Change - perhaps the greatest challenge ever faced by civilization.

Those would be the sorts of things that motivated me to get a physics degree. "Scary" is not the word that comes to mind. :biggrin:

Looks like it's just me that has issues with the size of space or duration of 'time'...

As a side note, are you going to have a 'Happy 10,000 Posts' party?

It always seems weird to me when I hear people say things like "cosmology freaks me out" or "I don't like to think about those things". To me, the scarier thing would be if humans only had the capacity to think about proximate trivial things. It would be such a loss.

A note on the dying thing, while a priori non-existence seems like the most likely outcome, it doesn't seem that likely to me from a philosophical perspective. Think of the anthropic principle. We can't perceive non-existence. If there is any outcome to the universe besides a single universe that "ends" (without the possibility for the creation of a new universe) then it would seem eventually "we" would reform at some point. And the single ending universe scenario seems unlikely, since the universe did form from "nothing."

Also, I find the concept of torque scary.

if the ozone layer will be broke and the Earth will be hit by the sun, and we all be burn from that heat coming from the sun...
this really scares me.. so now, we still have time to preserve and save our mother earth.. let's all be aware of this..!

[spam link deleted]

Reverse Universe.

Among the physical laws it is a general characteristic that there is reversibility in time; that is, should the whole universe trace back the various positions that bodies in it have passed through in a given interval of time, but in the reverse order to that in which these positions actually occurred, then the universe, in this imaginary case, would still obey the same laws.

Imagine it; complete craziness. The universe would begin to shrink, resulting in the reversal of time; the reversal of ENTROPY. This is incredible, but quite hard to swallow.

Don't worry though, this will probably happen in more than a trillion years.

Vincit said:
Imagine it; complete craziness. The universe would begin to shrink, resulting in the reversal of time; the reversal of ENTROPY. This is incredible, but quite hard to swallow.

Fiat lux ?

Nothing

The fact that everything I ever know or could ever know will amount not not more than 1 part in trillions and trillions in both the time and space dimensions. That so much of this vast universe is censored from us.

Loren Booda said:

Reminds me of when I was 3-5 years old and noticed "faces" in wood paneling. It always felt like someone was watching me in those rooms.

sganesh88 said:
Isn't the holocaust a direct evidence of such a dark nature of humans.? Not just the holocaust, there were several million wars before the WWII and in each of them not just the soldiers but almost equal number of innocent civilians were also murdered and raped. All these rapes and murders were committed by the apparently normal human beings who were ploughing the fields or making jewels before a particular war started.

What's scary? The idea that maybe we're all hardwired with this type of behavior as a solution to the "too many people, not enough resources" problem.