Calculating Force between Two Identical Particles with Electric Charge in a Frame S

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the force exerted by two identical particles with electric charge q moving in frame S. The solution involves using the Lorentz force law in 4 vector notation and making a Lorentz transformation to the rest frame of the particles. The Coulomb force equation and the equation for the magnetic field are used to find the force. Some uncertainty remains about the validity of the approach.
Nusc

Homework Statement

In a frame S, two identical particles with electric charge q move abreast along lines parallel to the x-axis, a distance r apart and with velocity v. Determine the force in S that each exerts on the other, by use of the force law for a uniformly moving charge.

I would need a lorentz forc e law in 4 vector notation,

what is it? Then where do I proceed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
My first thought would be to make a Lorentz transformation into the frame where both particles are at rest.

We know its just the Coulomb force,

we have the equation for field of a moving charge:

[tex]
e= \frac{Q \bf{r_o}}{\gamma^2 r_o^2 (1-u^2/c^2 sin^2(\theta))^{3/2}}
[/tex]

and we can determine the magnetic field in this case,
[tex]
cb = \frac{\bf{v} \times \bf{e}}{c}
[/tex]

I'm not sure at this point

Last edited:
The above equation was obtained by this:

[tex]
\bf{e} = \frac{Q}{(cr-\bf{r}\bf{u})^3}\frac{c^2}{\gamma^2}(c\bf{r}-r\bf{u})
[/tex]

I'm not sure of I"m on the right track.

1. How do you calculate the force between two identical particles with electric charge in a frame S?

In order to calculate the force between two identical particles with electric charge in a frame S, you can use the Coulomb's Law equation: F = (k * q^2) / r^2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance between the two particles.

2. What is the Coulomb's constant and how is it related to calculating force between two particles?

The Coulomb's constant, also known as the electrostatic constant, is a proportionality constant that relates the force between two charged particles to the magnitude of their charges and the distance between them. It is an essential part of the Coulomb's Law equation and helps in determining the force between two particles based on their electric charges.

3. Can the force between two particles with electric charge be attractive or repulsive?

Yes, the force between two particles with electric charge can be either attractive or repulsive. If the two particles have opposite charges (one positive and one negative), the force will be attractive, pulling the particles towards each other. On the other hand, if the two particles have the same charge (both positive or both negative), the force will be repulsive, pushing the particles away from each other.

4. Does the distance between two particles affect the force between them?

Yes, the distance between two particles has a significant impact on the force between them. According to the Coulomb's Law equation, the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the particles. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases.

5. How does the magnitude of the charge affect the force between two particles?

The magnitude of the charge has a direct relationship with the force between two particles. The greater the magnitude of the charge, the stronger the force between the particles will be. This can be seen in the Coulomb's Law equation, where the force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges. Therefore, particles with higher charges will experience a stronger force between them compared to particles with lower charges.