What is the Relativity of Velocities Formula?

• Thread starter jderm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the two spaceships are approaching each other at a relative speed of 0.89c as measured by an observer on Earth. By using the equation u=\frac{v-u'}{1-\frac{u'v}{c^{2}}}, the speed of each spaceship can be calculated as 1.8326x108 m/s when measured on Earth.
jderm
[STRIKE][/STRIKE]

Homework Statement

Two spaceships approach each other, each moving with the same speed as measured by an observer on the Earth. If their relative speed is 0.89c, what is the speed of each spaceship as measured on Earth?

Homework Equations

u=[tex]\frac{u'+v}{1+u'v/c^2}[/tex]

3. My work
so ship A moves to the right at speed u, (according to an observer on earth)
and ship B moves to the left at speed v, (according to an observer on earth)
within Ship A's inertial frame, ship B is moving at u', known to be .89c
i need to solve for u, the speed on Ship A.
u=-v

substituting -v for u,
u= [tex]\frac{u'-u}{1-u'u/c2}[/tex]

i then get
0=-[tex]\frac{u'u2}{c2}[/tex]+u

I am sure i am thinking of this problem the wrong way, maybe that v does not equal the negative of u?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i accidently posted this before adding my work, ill get it on in a moment

Found my error.
since the ships are approaching each other, the equation was
u=[tex]\frac{v-u'}{1-\frac{u'v}{c^{2}}}[/tex]

then substituting -v = u

[tex]\frac{u'u^{2}}{c^{2}}[/tex]+u'+2u=0

which yields the correct answer of 1.8326x108 m/s

What is the concept of relativity of velocities?

The concept of relativity of velocities is a fundamental principle in physics, stating that the measurement of an object's velocity is dependent on the observer's frame of reference. This means that the same object can have different velocities depending on who is measuring it and their relative motion to the object.

How does relativity of velocities apply to everyday life?

In everyday life, relativity of velocities can be observed in situations such as driving a car. The speed of a car will be different for the driver compared to someone standing on the side of the road. This is because the observer's motion relative to the car affects their measurement of its velocity.

Does relativity of velocities only apply to objects in motion?

No, relativity of velocities also applies to objects at rest. This is because an object's motion can only be described relative to another object. Therefore, even if an object appears to be at rest to one observer, it may be in motion relative to another observer.

What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Relative velocity refers to the measurement of an object's velocity relative to another object, while absolute velocity is the measurement of an object's velocity relative to a fixed point or reference frame. Relative velocity takes into account the motion of the observer, while absolute velocity does not.

How does Einstein's theory of relativity relate to the concept of relativity of velocities?

Albert Einstein's theory of relativity expanded on the concept of relativity of velocities, stating that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the measurement of an object's velocity will be consistent for all observers in different frames of reference, as long as they are moving at a constant velocity.