Lost in Symmetry and Super Symmetry

In summary: The mathematical symmetry of the equations is a result of the fundamental principles of QM, not some sort of "accidental" property.
1Truthseeker
Not getting symmetry at all. I keep reading over and looking for various materials on the subject, but I still can not seem to fully grasp it. Could someone explain what symmetry means in quantum mechanics in a way that a new learner can grasp?

This question also applies to super-symmetry.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That subject isn't very easy, but this post might be useful. It could at least help you understand what a symmetry is. Chapter 2 of Weinberg's QFT book is also a pretty good place to learn about symmetries.

Fredrik said:
That subject isn't very easy, but this post might be useful. It could at least help you understand what a symmetry is. Chapter 2 of Weinberg's QFT book is also a pretty good place to learn about symmetries.

Thanks a ton!

1Truthseeker said:
Not getting symmetry at all. I keep reading over and looking for various materials on the subject, but I still can not seem to fully grasp it. Could someone explain what symmetry means in quantum mechanics in a way that a new learner can grasp?

This question also applies to super-symmetry.

Thanks!

You need to understand what symmetry means in classical physics first. Try to read post #10 in
www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=145080

then go on and read the other posts in that thread.

regards

sam

After doing some reading, I have found what it essentially means. In a nutshell it means that the mathematical expressions of QM are "precise" to the definition of the phenomenon, unlike classical symmetry, which are approximations.

My question now becomes, what is the reasoning that the the QM equations are symmetrical to nature, apart from statistical proof from experiments? Isn't it going a bit far to say that these equations are 100% exact to nature? This would necessitate infinite precision.

I ask this from a mathematical standpoint, not an ontological one.

What is "Lost in Symmetry and Super Symmetry"?

"Lost in Symmetry and Super Symmetry" is a topic in physics that explores the fundamental principles of symmetry in nature and its relationship to the concept of super symmetry. Super symmetry is a theoretical framework that suggests there is a symmetry between particles with different spin states.

Why is symmetry important in physics?

Symmetry is important in physics because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of particles and systems. It allows us to make predictions and calculations about the behavior of particles based on their symmetrical properties.

What is the difference between symmetry and super symmetry?

The main difference between symmetry and super symmetry is that while symmetry refers to the balance and regularity of physical systems, super symmetry is a theoretical concept that suggests there is an underlying symmetry between particles with different properties.

What are some real-world applications of super symmetry?

Super symmetry has not yet been proven experimentally, but if it does exist, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help explain the hierarchy of particle masses, provide a candidate for dark matter, and unify the fundamental forces of nature.

How is super symmetry being studied and tested?

Scientists are currently studying and testing the concept of super symmetry through experiments at particle accelerators like the Large Hadron Collider. They are also using mathematical models and simulations to explore the implications and predictions of super symmetry in different scenarios.