Arc Length Confusion: What is the Idea Behind it?

In summary, the arc length of a function f(x) from a to b is defined as the integral of the square root of 1 plus the square of the derivative of f(x), from a to b. This idea comes from Pythagoras and can also be explained using Riemann sums. However, in order to avoid using infinitesimals, the standard Riemann sum definition must be used instead.
Char. Limit
Gold Member
Why is arc length of a function [tex]f(x)[/tex] from a to b defined as [tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+(f'(x))^2} dx[/tex]?

Where they get the idea of squaring the derivative, adding 1, taking the square root, and then integrating it is beyond me.

Physics news on Phys.org
They got the idea from Pythagoras :smile:

√(1 + (dy/dx)2) dx = √((dx)2 + (dy)2) = ds :wink:

But aren't dx, dy, and ds all infinitesimals with no real meaning here?

They're all infinitesimals, but they are the limit of very small increments ∆x ∆y and ∆s with ∆s2 = ∆x2 + ∆y2 :smile:

how would you define arc-length? :wink:

If you don't want to use differentials, which you say are "infinitesimals with no real meaning here" then you will have to use the standard "Riemann sum" definition. Given a curve y= f(x) with x from a to b, divide the x-axis from a to b into n intervals, each of length [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. We can approximate the curve from [itex](x_i, f(x_i))[/itex] to [itex](x_i+ \Delta x, f(x_i+ \Delta x))= (x_i+ \Delta x, f(x_i)+ \Delta y)[/itex] where I have taken [itex]\Delta y= f(x_i+ \Delta y)- f(x_i)[/itex], by the straight line between those points. It's length, by the Pythagorean theorem, is [itex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2}[/itex]. Now, factor [itex]\Delta x[/itex] out of that:
[tex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2}= \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex]

So the Riemann sum is
[tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex]
which, in the limit, becomes
[tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2} dx[/tex]

I would be surprised if your textbook didn't give all of that.

awww, you gave him the answer! :redface:

Well, since this isn't a homework problem, I think giving the answer is all right...

I honestly have never seen the derivation before.

Thanks for the help, both of you.

HallsofIvy said:
If you don't want to use differentials, which you say are "infinitesimals with no real meaning here" then you will have to use the standard "Riemann sum" definition. Given a curve y= f(x) with x from a to b, divide the x-axis from a to b into n intervals, each of length [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. We can approximate the curve from [itex](x_i, f(x_i))[/itex] to [itex](x_i+ \Delta x, f(x_i+ \Delta x))= (x_i+ \Delta x, f(x_i)+ \Delta y)[/itex] where I have taken [itex]\Delta y= f(x_i+ \Delta y)- f(x_i)[/itex], by the straight line between those points. It's length, by the Pythagorean theorem, is [itex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2}[/itex]. Now, factor [itex]\Delta x[/itex] out of that:
[tex]\sqrt{(\Delta x)^2+ (\Delta y)^2}= \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex]

So the Riemann sum is
[tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex]
which, in the limit, becomes

I would be surprised if your textbook didn't give all of that.

Certainly in the limit [tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex] does not become [tex]\int_a^b \sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)^2} dx[/tex] according to the definition of the Rieman integral.

BUT ,by the mean value theorem we have that:

Δy = f'(ξ)Δx ,where ξ is [tex] x\leq\xi\leq x+\Delta x[/tex] and now ,

[tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex] becomes :[tex]\sum\sqrt{1+ \left(f'(\xi)\right)^2}\Delta x[/tex] .This a Rieman sum which in the limit it becomes:

1. What is arc length confusion?

Arc length confusion refers to a common misconception in mathematics where the measurement of an arc on a circle is thought to be the same as the measurement of the straight line connecting the endpoints of the arc. This is incorrect and can lead to errors in calculations and understanding of geometric concepts.

2. What is the idea behind arc length confusion?

The idea behind arc length confusion is that people tend to equate the length of an arc with the length of a straight line. This is due to the fact that in everyday life, we often use straight lines to measure distance and it is a more intuitive concept for us. However, in geometry and mathematics, the measurement of an arc is based on the angle it subtends at the center of the circle, not the length of the straight line connecting the endpoints.

3. How does arc length confusion affect mathematical calculations?

Arc length confusion can lead to errors in mathematical calculations involving circles and arcs. For example, if the incorrect length of an arc is used in a formula, the result will also be incorrect. This can be especially problematic in more complex calculations involving multiple arcs or circles.

4. What is the correct way to measure arc length?

The correct way to measure arc length is to use the formula L = rθ, where L is the length of the arc, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the angle subtended by the arc at the center of the circle. This formula takes into account the curvature of the circle, rather than just the length of the straight line connecting the endpoints of the arc.

5. How can one avoid arc length confusion?

To avoid arc length confusion, it is important to understand the concept of arc length and how it differs from the length of a straight line. It can also be helpful to visualise the arc as part of a larger circle and to use the correct formula for calculating arc length. Practice and familiarity with geometric concepts can also help to avoid arc length confusion.