Normal Force of a Puck on a Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the vertical distance a small frictionless puck will descend before leaving the surface of a fixed sphere. The normal force is expressed as a function of height or angle measured down from the vertical, and the solution involves using Newton's second law and centripetal acceleration. A mistake is made in the solution by treating centripetal acceleration as a force, resulting in an incorrect solution. The correct solution is obtained by measuring the angle upward from the horizontal and using sine instead of cosine. The final answer is one-third the radius of the sphere.
Oijl

Homework Statement

Consider a small frictionless puck perched at the top of a fixed sphere of radius R. If the puck is given a tiny nudge so that it begins to slide down, through what vertical height will it descend before it leaves the surface of the sphere?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I recognize that when the normal force on the puck exerted by the sphere is zero, the puck is no longer on the sphere. Therefore, I seek to express the normal force as a function of height, or of the angle measured down from the vertical, from which the height is easily calculated.

I can't find a way to write the normal force. What would the normal force be, at a point? Looking at a solution, someone wrote:

N = mgcosø + (mv^2)/R

where ø is the angle measured down from the vertical, so that it could also be written

N = (mgh + mv^2)/R

Where does this come from? I don't see the truth in this expression of the normal force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Oijl! :wink:

It comes from good ol' Newton's second law … F = ma … in the radial direction.

So long as the puck remains on the sphere, the radial acceleration is obviously the standard centripetal acceleration (that's just geometry).

So put all the forces on the LHS (that'll be N and the radial component of mg), and m times centripetal acceleration on the RHS. :smile:

Hey, that makes perfect sense! Thanks.

BUT, oh no! When I solve for N, using mgR = (1/2)mv^2 + mgRcosø (which is E = T + U) to replace mv^2 in the equation with N, I get

N = mg(2-cosø)

So N = 0 when cosø = 2, which doesn't happen.

I have access to the solution, and the way they do it, they get down to N = mg(2-cosø) as well, but the next line they have written that, for mg(2-cosø)=0,

ø = arccos(1/2)

How can this be? It's algebra that I must be doing wrong, I believe, although for my life I cannot see it.

Hi Oijl! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
Oijl said:
I have access to the solution, and the way they do it, they get down to N = mg(2-cosø) as well, but the next line they have written that, for mg(2-cosø)=0,

ø = arccos(1/2)

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

mv2 = 2mg(1 - cosø) is right, but "the solution" is wrong.

You didn't do the F = ma that I suggested, with forces on one side and centripetal acceleration on the other.

As a result, you got a minus sign in the wrong place (and so, presumably, did "the solution").

This is a fundamental mistake that people keep making, they treat centripetal acceleration as if it was a force, so they get it on the wrong side. :rolleyes:

Try again, and this time write it all out properly! :smile:

F = ma
a = -(v^2)/R
F = N - mgcosø...?

Is that the radial component of the weight, mgcosø?

If it is, then, using
N - mgcosø = -((v^2)m)/R,
I get an answer that N = 0 when ø = arccos(2/3).

Well, you know, I got it anyway. I used a differently-defined angle, it was easier to see what the radial component of the weight was if I measured the angle up from the horizontal. Difference was I used sin instead of cos.

I got an answer of one-third the radius of the sphere for being the vertical distance through which the puck descends before it leaves the surface of the sphere.

Thank you for your help.

I think you were right the first time Oijl--angle=arccos(2/3)

1. What is the normal force of a puck on a sphere?

The normal force of a puck on a sphere is the force that the sphere exerts on the puck perpendicular to the surface of the sphere. It is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the force of gravity acting on the puck.

2. How is the normal force of a puck on a sphere calculated?

The normal force can be calculated using the formula FN = mgcosθ, where m is the mass of the puck, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the surface of the sphere and the direction of gravity.

3. What factors affect the normal force of a puck on a sphere?

The factors that affect the normal force include the mass of the puck, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle between the surface of the sphere and the direction of gravity. Additionally, the radius and curvature of the sphere can also affect the normal force.

4. How does the normal force of a puck on a sphere affect the motion of the puck?

The normal force plays a crucial role in determining the motion of the puck on the sphere. It acts as a support force, preventing the puck from falling through the surface of the sphere. As the puck moves along the surface, the normal force changes direction to always act perpendicular to the surface, providing the necessary centripetal force for circular motion.

5. How can the normal force of a puck on a sphere be measured in an experiment?

The normal force can be measured in an experiment by using a force sensor or a spring scale. The puck is placed on the surface of the sphere and the force sensor/spring scale is attached to the puck. As the puck moves along the surface, the force sensor/spring scale will measure the normal force acting on the puck at different points. These measurements can then be used to calculate the average normal force and compare it to the theoretical value.