Where do Babies Come From? A Scientific Explanation for Curious Kids

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
In summary: All of them are speaking.In summary, this creeped out the author, and she has mixed feelings about it. She thinks that if fathers try to take home someone else's date, it's not okay. She does not see anything wrong with the dancing contest show or family functions. There is a line that should not be crossed, but she doesn't think it's being crossed here.
I wish I had the reference, but apparently it's not so much the baby talk that infants and young children respond to but the sing-song and higher-pitched tone of voice. You can speak perfectly normal words to them, but it's all about the tone that's comforting and appeals to them.

As to five-year-olds "knowing" about sex, they don't, or won't, even if you explained it to them explicitly. Which you don't need to. But there's no need to lie to them about where babies come from either. Point-blank age-appropriate information is good, as best I can tell. When they're young, they don't want an overwhelming amount of in-depth information anyway. Just give them the basics. They're good with that until more information becomes relevant to their world.

Physics news on Phys.org
GeorginaS said:
You can speak perfectly normal words to them, but it's all about the tone that's comforting and appeals to them.

That's what I call "baby talk." I guess sometimes I also do "mimicking" of her sounds, before saying real things too, just to acknowledge her (she was big into "gee" a few weeks ago, and now she's into "barr, barr, barr" and "ow-boo" with no "gee"s at all). I guess some parents might include some poor grammer and fake words in "baby talk"... but I don't.

GeorginaS said:
As to five-year-olds "knowing" about sex, they don't, or won't, even if you explained it to them explicitly. Which you don't need to. But there's no need to lie to them about where babies come from either. Point-blank age-appropriate information is good, as best I can tell. When they're young, they don't want an overwhelming amount of in-depth information anyway. Just give them the basics. They're good with that until more information becomes relevant to their world.
That reminds me of the old story about the little girl that asked her father where she came from. The father went into a rather detailed talk about the birds and bees. Noticing that his dughter seemed a bit upset he finally stopped and asked her why she asked. She said "my friend Jenny said she was from Milwaukee, so I was wondering where I came from".

Where babies come from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bstmPIIAmlY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bstmPIIAmlY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
Back