Speed Of Light and Gravitational Force

In summary: The equation you posted, G = (64*pi^10) / c^2, is not dimensionally correct. When you calculate G using K, M, T, and r, it comes out looking like this: F=(4\pi^2KM)/r^2.
GravityNutt
I have been studying gravity for a while on an under graduate level. I have an equation that was derived that uses the speed of light to calculate the gravitational force between two objects. No G needed. Do any of you know of any like equations available that I could compare it with or study?

I know, why not show the equation... well honestly, I do not want to appear an idiot before I do necessary research so any guidance would be appreciated. The only variables are the two masses, distance between them to calculate the force, plus the speed of light and a use of the area of space. (no made up numbers).

Thanks for the guidance.

Science news on Phys.org
Einstein's equation in GR contains the gravitational constant, so there is no way around it unless you want to depart from that theory. Either your formula is not consistent with GR, or you are using units where G=1. I'm assuming G is not somehow embedded into any of your other quantities, e.g. the area you speak of?

There is no need to be afraid of posting your equation here. If it weren't for equations, physics would be a sorry state of affairs!

In Newtonian gravity, the attracting gravitational force between two homogeneous spherical objects of masses M1 and M2, the centres of which are separated by a distance R, is

F = G*M1*M2/r^2

acting on each object along the line connecting them. For small masses and large R, your formula should reduce to this one in order to be consistent with Newtonian gravity.

Torquil

When I reduce it to solve for G from Newton's famous equation, it comes out looking odd, I calculate G = (64*pi^10) / c^2. Hope this helps.

Thanks

There is no equation that relates gravitational force without using G. And your supposed equation, G = (64*pi^10) / c^2, is not even dimensionally correct.

Consider [tex]MT^2/r^3[/tex] with M being a mass, T is the period of an orbiting satellite, r is the distance between the center of mass of M and satellite. Consider this a constant, using Kepler's constant. We will call this constant K for these purposes. There are a lot of cool calculations you can do with this, they are measurable. I suggest using Solar Mass for M, sidereal year in seconds for T, and AU for r. These are all measurable and can eliminate G.

[tex]F=G*M*m/r^2[/tex]

Newton's equation can be calculated without G using K (which is the same for any mass, orbiting period and distance between objects, so you only need one accurate measurement, much like G).

Another concept is that any mass's "Kepler" number (for lack of better naming) can be obtained by K/M written

[tex]M_{k}[/tex]

or

[tex]m_{k}[/tex]

Now use this equation

[tex]F=(4\pi^2M)/r^2m_{k}[/tex]

or you can use

[tex]F=(4\pi^2Mm)/Kr^2m[/tex]

I believe you will find these units are correct, as K has [tex]kg^1, s^2, (r^-3)[/tex] units and is in the denominator, so we match G's units, but with more of a real observable type of units. That is the start of my construct. The equation I had stated above G = (64*pi^10) / c^2 was only to show where c was brought into correlate with G.

Hope this helps see where I started.

Thanks!

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in physics, denoted by the letter "c". It is the speed at which light travels in a vacuum and has a value of approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

2. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light can be measured using various techniques, including the use of a laser or by observing the time it takes for light to travel a known distance. One of the most accurate methods is the use of a device called a Michelson interferometer.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light?

The speed of light is significant because it is the maximum speed at which all matter and information in the universe can travel. It also plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of relativity and is a fundamental constant in many equations and theories in physics.

4. How does the speed of light relate to gravitational force?

The speed of light is not directly related to gravitational force. However, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, the presence of massive objects can warp the fabric of space-time, which can affect the path of light traveling near them. This is known as gravitational lensing.

5. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to current scientific understanding, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is because as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and requires an infinite amount of energy to reach the speed of light. This is known as the theory of special relativity.