Exploring Infinite Pairwise Coprime Sets: Examples and Possibilities

• Thread starter sutupidmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinite pairwise coprime sets and provides examples such as the set of all primes, Sylvester's sequence, and Fermat numbers. The group also discusses the possibility of finding pairwise coprime sets of any desired length and offers suggestions such as using the first k primes, partitioning distinct primes into disjoint subsets and taking the product of each set, and using a recursive relation to generate sequences of pairwise coprime integers.
sutupidmath
Hi all,

I am looking for examples of infinite pairwise coprime sets.

A set P of integers is pairwise coprime iff, for every p and q in P with p ≠ q, we have gcd(p, q) = 1. Here gcd denotes the greatest common divisor.(Wikipedia)

Also from wikipedia the following are some examples of infinite such sets:

The set of all primes, {2, 3, 5, 7, 11, …} is of course pairwise coprime, as is the set of elements in Sylvester's sequence, and the set of all Fermat numbers(Wikipedia).

However, the set of all primes is trivial and two broad of a set for my purpose, and the last two seem to be too restrective, in the sense that their terms get very big very fast, which is something i would not like to deal with.

So, i guess what i am looking for is something in beetween. Also, i believe that a finite set of integers that is pairwise coprime would work, as long as it is a relatively large set.

Also i am wondering, whether there are pairwise coprime sets of any desired lenght? That is, for any given k in Z, is it possible to find a pairwise coprime set P with exactly k elements in it?

Thanks to all of you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sutupidmath said:
Also i am wondering, whether there are pairwise coprime sets of any desired lenght? That is, for any given k in Z, is it possible to find a pairwise coprime set P with exactly k elements in it?

The first k primes. Or any k distinct primes. Or partition n distinct primes into k disjoint nonempty subsets (n>=k) and take the product of each set. I don't know how else you'd do it.

Tinyboss said:
The first k primes. Or any k distinct primes.
I figured this one out.
Tinyboss said:
Or partition n distinct primes into k disjoint nonempty subsets (n>=k) and take the product of each set.

What do you mean with 'take the product of each set' here? I am assuming cartesian product, but still, i don't see how that helps, since the resulting set would have pairs of primes(ordered pairs) rather than primes alone.
Or am I missing something here?! :redface:

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
What do you mean with 'take the product of each set' here? I am assuming cartesian product, but still, i don't see how that helps, since the resulting set would have pairs of primes(ordered pairs) rather than primes alone.
Or am I missing something here?! :redface:

I mean, for each set, take the product of all its elements. So if your sets were {2,5,11} and {13, 31} then your numbers would be 110 and 403.

I think that Tinyboss has already given you the best advice: If you don't want sets that consist of individual primes, then create sets that consist of products of distinct primes. However, if you're looking for an algorithm to produce sets of pairwise coprime numbers, try this:

Choose integers a and [itex]S_0[/itex] such that [itex]S_0[/itex] > a [itex]\geq[/itex] 1 and [itex]S_0[/itex] and a are relatively prime. Then define [itex]S_n[/itex] recursively by

[tex]S_n = a + S_{n-1}(S_{n-1} - a)[/tex]

Then a and the [itex]S_n[/itex] will be a sequence of pairwise coprime integers. For a = 2 and [itex]S_0[/itex] = 3, you get the Fermat numbers.

Petek

Petek said:
I think that Tinyboss has already given you the best advice: If you don't want sets that consist of individual primes, then create sets that consist of products of distinct primes. However, if you're looking for an algorithm to produce sets of pairwise coprime numbers, try this:

Choose integers a and [itex]S_0[/itex] such that [itex]S_0[/itex] > a [itex]\geq[/itex] 1 and [itex]S_0[/itex] and a are relatively prime. Then define [itex]S_n[/itex] recursively by

[tex]S_n = a + S_{n-1}(S_{n-1} - a)[/tex]

Then a and the [itex]S_n[/itex] will be a sequence of pairwise coprime integers. For a = 2 and [itex]S_0[/itex] = 3, you get the Fermat numbers.

Petek

I believe this is what i was looking for. I tried to construct various recurrence relations that would produce sequences of pairwise coprime integers, but yeah, this is good to know! Do you know whether this recursive relation has a specific name (how's it called), because it looks quite familiar, and i might have seen it before!

Tanks to both of you!

I found the relation on page 7 of Ribenboim's The Little Book of Bigger Primes. He says that it comes from the paper Infinite Coprime Sequences, Edwards, 1964, Math. Gazette 48, 416 - 422. No specific name, though.

Petek

Petek said:
I found the relation on page 7 of Ribenboim's The Little Book of Bigger Primes. He says that it comes from the paper Infinite Coprime Sequences, Edwards, 1964, Math. Gazette 48, 416 - 422. No specific name, though.

Petek

Thanks again, this is very helpful!:approve:

1. What are pairwise coprime sets?

Pairwise coprime sets are sets of numbers that do not share any common factors except for 1. In other words, the greatest common divisor (GCD) of any two numbers in a pairwise coprime set is 1.

2. Why are pairwise coprime sets important?

Pairwise coprime sets are important in number theory and cryptography. They are used in the Chinese Remainder Theorem, which is a fundamental tool for solving linear congruences. In cryptography, pairwise coprime sets are used to generate public and private keys for secure communication.

3. How do you determine if a set of numbers is pairwise coprime?

To determine if a set of numbers is pairwise coprime, you can use the Euclidean algorithm to find the GCD of each pair of numbers. If the GCD is 1 for all pairs, then the set is pairwise coprime.

4. Can pairwise coprime sets have more than two numbers?

Yes, pairwise coprime sets can have any number of elements. As long as every pair of numbers in the set is coprime, the set is considered pairwise coprime.

5. What is the significance of the term "pairwise" in "pairwise coprime sets"?

The term "pairwise" in "pairwise coprime sets" refers to the fact that the coprimality is checked between every pair of numbers in the set. This is to ensure that there are no shared factors between any two numbers in the set.