Trouble with BLAS subroutine dgemv ->vector- matrix product

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using the BLAS subroutine dgemv to compute a vector-matrix product. The code is provided and suggestions are given to check the use of sine and cosine functions, as well as to try a simple test case with known variables. The issue is narrowed down to either using variables for array elements or using degrees instead of radians. The problem is eventually solved by using radians. Additionally, the difference between a matrix-vector product and a matrix-matrix product is briefly discussed.
missfangula
Trouble with BLAS subroutine dgemv -->vector- matrix product

Hello all,

So, I am trying to write some code that will compute the vector-matrix product using the BLAS subroutine dgemv. I have written the code below, but I am getting really wacky numbers! You will see that it takes array "Array" as the known matrix , and vector 'vector' as known vector, and outputs a product vector.

Does anyone know what maybe askew?

Thanks a million,
miss fangula

#import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
#include <Accelerate/Accelerate.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
//#include <math.h>

//*******FINDS X IN MATRIX EQUATION AB = X, WHERE A AND B ARE KNOWN MATRICES*******//
//
// [a a a] [b b b] [x x x]
// [a a a]*[b b b] = [x x x] {x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x} = ?
// [a a a] [b b b] [x x x]
//
//*********************************************************************************//

void printMatrix(char* name, int n, double* b, int lda);

/*Define all subroutine parameters*************************/
#define M 4 //Define 'Array' matrix size and number of rows in 'vector'
#define N 4 //Define number of columns in 'Array' (if a vector, then probably 1)
#define ALPHA 4 //Scaling constant alpha
#define LDA 4 //Leading dimension of 'Array'
#define INCX 1 //Stride value for 'vector' and can have any value
#define BETA 0 //Scaling constant beta
#define INCY 1 //Stride for 'y'
/**********************************************************/

int main()
{
double *vector;
double *y;
int m = M;//Define local variable n to be N
int n = N;//
int alpha = ALPHA;
int lda = LDA; //Define local variable lda to be LDA
int incx = INCX;
int beta = BETA;
int incy = INCY;

//**********
double a = 0.0;
double b = 180.0;
double R = 1.54;
//**********

double Array[16] = //Declare a NxN array 'Array'
{
-cos(a), sin(a)*cos(b), sin(a)*sin(b), 0.0,
-sin(a), -cos(a)*cos(b), -cos(a)*sin(b), 0.0,
0.0, -sin(b), cos(b), 0.0,
-R*cos(a), R*sin(a)*cos(b), R*sin(a)*sin(b), 1.0
};

vector = calloc(4, sizeof (double)); //Declare a vector to as other unknown in equation (see algorithm above)
y = calloc(4, sizeof (double));

*vector = 0.0; //Define first element of vector b
*(vector + 1) = 0.0; //Define second element of vector b
*(vector + 2) = 0.0;
*(vector + 3) = 1.0;

cblas_dgemv(CblasRowMajor, CblasNoTrans, m, n, alpha, Array, lda,
vector, incx, beta, y, incy);
/*cblas_dgemv(CblasRowMajor, CblasNoTrans, 3, 3, 1.0, m, 3,
x, 1, 0.0, y, 1);*/

printMatrix("Answer is: ", n, y, lda); //Print the solution matrix 'x'

free(vector); //free the input vector
free(y); //Free the solution vector

return 666; //since int main function, return some integer
}

void printMatrix (char* name, int n, double* b, int lda) //Function to print the solution matrix
{
int loopNumber;
int numTimes = n;
printf("\n %s\n", name); //Print name of solution matrix 'x'
for (loopNumber = 0; loopNumber < numTimes; loopNumber++) //For each element of vector
{
printf("%6.2f", b[loopNumber]); //Print the respective element at loopNumber position
printf( "\n" ); //Space
}

}

Technology news on Phys.org

i should add that i am running this on a mac. so i am using the accelerate framework for lapack (and blas, too, I believe)

Check your use of sin(b) and cos(b). Those functions are expecting radian arguments.

Also,
What numbers were you expecting? What numbers are you getting?

Be aware, the routine "dgemv" returns a matrix-vector operation

y := alpha*A*x + beta*y,

or

y := alpha*A'*x + beta*y,

depending on the value of "CblasNoTrans". Here, "alpha" and "beta" are scalar.

I suggest you try a simple test case with some know variables.

Hi,

I set beta scalar to be 0.0, and alpha scalar to be 1.0, so now it should output the product of a matrix A and a vector x, correct? A*x = ?

I tested the program with various 2x2, 3x3, and 4x4 matrices, all with constants as elements in the array. I got the correct answers.

Then I tried it as posted in this forum, with variables for elements in the array. I get wrong answers. I checked the results with an online matrix multiplication calculator (joemath.com)

I think I have narrowed down the problem to either one of two things:
1. I cannot use variables for the array elements
2. sine is in radians, and I am putting in degrees

I will now try out the radian version, and see what happens. Otherwise, does anyone know of a rule that you cannot use variables as array elements in c? I thought that was only when allocating the size of the array (need a constant for array size)...

-miss fangula

It shouldn't be a problem using variables to intitialize the array, but it's definitely a problem that you are using degrees instead of radians.

hi,

I just tried it with radians, and it works. mystery solved.

Hi

I had another question, kind of silly maybe. What is the difference between a matrix-vector product and a matrix-matrix product in programming? Aren't they are just a bunch of arrays? If s0, then can I use the dgemv subroutine to multiply two 4x4 matrices, do I have to use another subroutine, like dgemms?

Thanks!

-miss fangula

1. What is a BLAS subroutine dgemv?

A BLAS (Basic Linear Algebra Subprograms) subroutine dgemv is a function that calculates the product of a vector and a matrix. It stands for "double-precision general matrix-vector multiply". This operation is commonly used in scientific computing and data analysis.

2. What does the error message "Trouble with BLAS subroutine dgemv" mean?

This error message means that there is an issue with the dgemv subroutine during the execution of a program. This could be due to a programming error or an issue with the input data.

3. How can I troubleshoot the "Trouble with BLAS subroutine dgemv" error?

To troubleshoot this error, you can check the input data to make sure it is in the correct format and matches the expected dimensions for the vector and matrix. You can also review the code for any potential errors or consult the documentation for the BLAS subroutine dgemv.

4. Can the "Trouble with BLAS subroutine dgemv" error be fixed?

Yes, this error can be fixed by identifying and addressing the underlying issue. This may involve adjusting the input data, debugging the code, or seeking assistance from a more experienced programmer.

5. Are there any alternative subroutines to dgemv for calculating vector-matrix products?

Yes, there are alternative subroutines available for calculating vector-matrix products, such as sgemv (single-precision) and cgemv (complex-precision). These may be more suitable for certain applications or data types.