Coordinate Distance Calculation

• Thread starter bignum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinate
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance between two points in \Re3 by subtracting their corresponding components. The distance formula can also be used, but subtracting components element by element is equivalent and makes intuitive sense when thinking about vectors. This method is also used in the textbook Mathematical Methods in Physical Science by Wiley.
bignum

Homework Statement

When you have a point in [tex]\Re[/tex]3, like for example let J(3, 7, 3) and Q(1, 2, 3). What is the distance in terms of coordinate between them? Like can you just subtract the corresponding components?

Homework Equations

I am not sure if it only works for the formula distance formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

Like what I meant was if I should try subtracting from J to Q to find (...)

J - Q = (2, 5, 0)

Does that work?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
J-Q is the vector from Q to J. The distance between Q and J is the magnitude of J-Q, which is sqrt(2^2 + 5^2 + 0^2)

eok20 said:
J-Q is the vector from Q to J. The distance between Q and J is the magnitude of J-Q, which is sqrt(2^2 + 5^2 + 0^2)

I know how to use the distance formula, but I am wondering if I can just subtract the corresponding components. Because I am reading Mathematical Methods in Physical Science by Wiley and they subtracted the components like so

Yes, in order to get the displacement vector, you can just subtract components element by element. This makes sense if you think about J and Q as vectors from the origin and the displacement vector going from the head of J to the tail of Q. To find the distance, as mentioned above, you need to get the length of that vector. This procedure turns out to be equivalent to the distance formula.

Tedjn said:
Yes, in order to get the displacement vector, you can just subtract components element by element. This makes sense if you think about J and Q as vectors from the origin and the displacement vector going from the head of J to the tail of Q. To find the distance, as mentioned above, you need to get the length of that vector. This procedure turns out to be equivalent to the distance formula.

Thank you! I was really having qualms about this.

What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical system used to identify the position of a point in space. It consists of a set of axes and a unit of measurement.

What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates, also known as rectangular coordinates, use a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis to locate a point on a 2-dimensional plane. Polar coordinates, on the other hand, use a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line to locate a point on a 2-dimensional plane.

How do you plot points on a coordinate plane?

To plot a point on a coordinate plane, first locate the x-coordinate on the x-axis and the y-coordinate on the y-axis. Then, draw a line from the x-axis to the y-axis and mark the point where they intersect. This point represents the coordinates of the point.

What is the formula for finding the distance between two points on a coordinate plane?

The formula for finding the distance between two points on a coordinate plane is:
d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2)
Where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

What is the slope of a line on a coordinate plane?

The slope of a line on a coordinate plane is a measure of its steepness. It is calculated by dividing the change in y-coordinates by the change in x-coordinates between any two points on the line. The formula for slope is:
m = (y2-y1) / (x2-x1)
Where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of two points on the line.