If Mass can be turned into energy, can enegry be turned to Mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of converting mass into energy and vice versa, with the example of creating particles through the collision of protons. It is also mentioned that the form of energy applied can determine which type of particle is created. Additionally, it is noted that adding energy to an existing particle or system can increase its mass. However, it is clarified that this does not create new particles, but rather increases the inertia of the existing ones.
Bobbie Dae
Also what form would this Mass take?
And if this was possible would this not shine a bit of light on the plausibility of the big bangtheory?
Probably a bit of a stupid question but I am but a young buck.

Physics news on Phys.org
If Mass can be turned into energy, can enegry be turned to Mass?

Yes, this is where the mass of particles such as the photon comes from.

You will have to ask others about the 'big bang' I have no interest there.

Years ago I was told "equivalent". I attended a Lecture from a Italian Physicist, "Maconi". He suggested a large solenoid, with enormous amounts of current would have a field density that would have it's own "gravity", "approximating "mass".

That's the best I can do, I'm sure others can give better examples.

Mass can be of some other type which you can think of rather than SOLID

If we can store energy by any means, certainly, it will attain the shape of some mass

Converting energy into mass happens when you smash protons together so hard that it knocks the quarks out. The quark flying off stores energy in the bond being stretched like a rubber band, until it has stored enough energy that it can create more quarks.

Photons with high enough energy can create matter particles.

Bonding energy and potential energy within atomic and subatomic structures show up directly as measurable mass of the resulting system.

What "form"? If you create brand new particles, you get a balance of particles and anti-particles (though some particles are their own anti). Which particle you create is limited by the mass of the particle: you need enough energy to create it. And, it has to be a kind of particle that relates with the form of energy being applied. Within those rules, it's totally random.

If you add energy to an existing particle or system of particles, it just gets heavier.

Google"pair production"

If you take 1 kg of water and raise its temperature by 50°C, you will end up with 1.000000000002 kg of water i.e. you have "converted" 0.2 megajoules of heat energy into 2 nanograms of water.

Note that you have not created any new molecules of water, but the collection of molecules has a little more inertia than it had before.

1. Can energy be turned into mass?

Yes, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, energy and mass are interchangeable. This means that energy can be converted into mass and vice versa.

2. How is energy converted into mass?

Energy can be converted into mass through a process called pair production. This occurs when a high energy photon (such as a gamma ray) interacts with a nucleus, producing an electron and a positron. These two particles have a combined mass that is equal to the energy of the original photon.

3. Is it possible to turn any form of energy into mass?

In theory, yes. However, the amount of mass that can be created from a given amount of energy is dependent on the speed of light, which is a very large number. This means that the amount of energy needed to create a significant amount of mass is also very large.

4. Can mass be turned into energy without a nuclear reaction?

Yes, mass can be turned into energy through other processes such as chemical reactions or combustion. However, these conversions are not as efficient as nuclear reactions and the amount of energy produced is much smaller.

5. How does the conversion of mass into energy affect the mass of an object?

When mass is converted into energy, the mass of the object decreases. This is because a portion of the object's mass has been converted into energy. However, this change in mass is extremely small and only becomes significant when dealing with extremely large amounts of energy.