Discover the Best Solid State Physics Textbooks: A Guide for Beginners

In summary, the best introductory book for solid state physics is Kittel, but other books are also worth considering.
Bevels
Hi I am looking for some good solid state physics textbooks. Can anyone who has taken courses in solid state physics direct me to a good introductory book?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can atleast say "stay away from Kitell" :)

Standard texts are:
Kittel -- Introduction to Solid State physics
Ashcroft, Mermin -- Solide State Physics

But not everyone appreciates these books, and they are a bit dated (so no treatment of modern research topics). Some books which might be worth checking out as well:

Omar -- Elementary Solid State Physics (introductory)
Chaikin, Lubensky -- Principle of Condensed Matter Physics (introductory)
Marder -- Condensed Matter Physics (introductory)
Philips, Phillips -- Advanced Solid State Physics (bit more advanced)

After that you either need turn to books that cover a subfield (e.g. magnetism, transport theory, superconductivity, semiconductors) or take on a more technical approach (Green's functions)

Just for clarity: solid state physics is a subbranch of condensed matter physics, so you probably get a little more than you bargained for.

Kittel is abstract and not so gentle, I was able to use it after learning the basics of crystallography from another book (a large number of books cover the basics).

Aschroft & Mermin would be suitable for the basics.

For more specialized treatment of specific topics, there is this new series from Springer (translated from Hungarian, Vol. I & Vol.II are already published, Vol.III is yet to come):

Vol.II: http://books.google.com/books?id=XSo-a2n43xEC&lpg=PR2&dq=jeno solyom&pg=PR2#v=onepage&q&f=false

xepma said:
Chaikin, Lubensky -- Principle of Condensed Matter Physics (introductory)

I would not call Chaikin and Lubensky an introductory text... They say in the preface that the problems range from elementary to too advanced for a seasoned professional. Any text dealing with the renormalization group isn't for a rookie.

Yes, you're right.. I was a bit hasty on that part.

Why are there too many textbooks on quantum field theory and they are no good book on solid state physics ?

I've also found it very frustrating that the best solid state books are very outdated. On one hand, you have a plethora of QFT books, or some version thereof for condensed matter systems (Fradkin, Wen, Tsevelik). But I don't know of good modern solid state books that gap well the bridge between a QM book like Sakurai and those QFT for many-body books. In particular, I found it very hard myself to find good treatments of second-quantization, entanglement entropy, QHE and FQHE, tight-binding in second quantized notation, Peirls substitution, Berry phase/Polarization, Wannier function in tight-binding lattices in second quantized notationconstruction in solid state books. And those topics always show up in research papers.

The Physics of Solids---Essentials and Beyond by Economou. I've read some of Kittel and A&M, nothing compared to this book. Crystal clear and very systematic in its exposition. Very new (2010). Lots of physical intuition. Starts with estimations of physical quantities with the most basic QM. An extremely nice pedagogical work. I'm surprised this book has gone unnoticed by the solid state professors.

1. What is Solid State Physics?

Solid state physics is the study of the physical properties of solid materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It focuses on understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in a solid state and how they interact with each other.

2. Who is the author of the Solid State Physics book?

The author of the Solid State Physics book varies depending on the specific book being referenced. Some popular authors in this field include Neil W. Ashcroft, N. David Mermin, and Charles Kittel.

3. What are some real-world applications of Solid State Physics?

Solid State Physics has a wide range of applications in technology, including the development of electronic devices such as transistors, computer chips, and solar cells. It also plays a crucial role in materials science, as it helps us understand the properties and behavior of different materials.

4. Is Solid State Physics a difficult subject?

Solid State Physics can be a challenging subject for many due to its complex mathematical and theoretical concepts. However, with a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, it can be a fascinating and rewarding field of study.

5. How can I use the Solid State Physics book to improve my understanding of the subject?

The Solid State Physics book is a valuable resource for students and researchers in this field. It provides a comprehensive overview of the key principles and theories, along with numerous examples and exercises to help deepen your understanding. It is also helpful to supplement your reading with hands-on experiments and practical applications of the concepts learned in the book.