Expansion of the Universe, Dark Energy and Conservation of energy.

In summary, the expansion of the universe does not necessarily defy conservation of energy from a general relativity point of view. The FRW metric, which describes the expanding universe, is time dependent and therefore there is no global conservation of energy. However, local energy conservation is still enforced by the equation \nabla_{\mu}T^{\mu\nu}=0, and the addition of a term for dark energy does not change this. From a Newtonian point of view, the increase in energy from dark energy is canceled out by the negative work done by sources of pressure, resulting in a conservation of energy. The equation \nabla_{\mu}T^{\mu\nu}=0 involves tensors, which may be
xdrgnh
Doesn't the expansion of the universe defy conservation of energy, as the universe expands more dark energy is being created. That means the total energy in the universe isn't stable and is increasing.

Physics news on Phys.org
GR point of view: There is no global conservation in the universe, because the FRW metric is time dependent. In GR there is only local energy conservation enforced by [tex]\nabla_{\mu}T^{\mu\nu}=0[/tex], and adding a term to the stress tensor of the form [tex]\Lambda\,g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] doesn't change that.

Newtonian point of view: As the universe gets bigger, there is more energy from dark energy. However, as the universe gets bigger, PdV work is done on it by sources of pressure. Since dark energy has a negative pressure, this work is negative, and so the two energies exactly cancel out to conserve energy.

nicksauce said:
GR point of view: There is no global conservation in the universe, because the FRW metric is time dependent. In GR there is only local energy conservation enforced by [tex]\nabla_{\mu}T^{\mu\nu}=0[/tex], and adding a term to the stress tensor of the form [tex]\Lambda\,g_{\mu\nu}[/tex] doesn't change that.

Newtonian point of view: As the universe gets bigger, there is more energy from dark energy. However, as the universe gets bigger, PdV work is done on it by sources of pressure. Since dark energy has a negative pressure, this work is negative, and so the two energies exactly cancel out to conserve energy.

Thanks for clarifying that up for me, I really appreciate it. I'm interesting that tensor equation you showed me. I'm not really familiar with tensors, I do know partial derivatives though can you explain that equation more throughly for me.

1. What is the Expansion of the Universe?

The Expansion of the Universe refers to the observed phenomenon that the distance between galaxies in the universe is increasing over time. This was first discovered by Edwin Hubble in the 1920s and has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations since then.

2. What is Dark Energy?

Dark Energy is a theoretical form of energy that is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe. It is thought to be the force responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. However, its exact nature and properties are still not fully understood.

3. How does Dark Energy affect the Expansion of the Universe?

Dark Energy is thought to be the driving force behind the accelerated expansion of the universe. It is believed to counteract the gravitational pull of matter, causing galaxies to move further apart from each other at an increasing rate.

4. Does the Expansion of the Universe violate the Conservation of Energy?

No, the Expansion of the Universe does not violate the Conservation of Energy. While the total energy in the universe may be increasing due to the expansion, energy cannot be created or destroyed. The law of Conservation of Energy still holds true in this case.

5. How do scientists study the Expansion of the Universe and Dark Energy?

Scientists study the Expansion of the Universe and Dark Energy through various methods, including observations of distant galaxies and their redshift, measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and experiments using gravitational lensing and supernovae. These methods provide valuable data and insights into the nature of the universe and its expansion.