Nano- Vs. Bio-, Technology Vs. Engineering

In summary, the speaker has two questions regarding their interest in nanoscience and biotechnology. They are curious about the future developments and projected growth of these fields, particularly in terms of employment opportunities. They are also seeking clarification on the differences between technology and engineering in these fields and how it may impact job prospects and career growth. They are currently considering a college major in physics, chemistry, or biology.
GRB 080319B
I have two questions:

1.) I am interested in nanoscience, specifically in the future development of nanobots and nanofactories. However, from what I've gathered from researching the field, this technology is apparently far off. Nanotechnology at the present seems to be focused on designing nanoparticles to be used in pharmaceuticals and other products, which doesn't interest me as much. Biotechnology, on the other hand, is an emergent field that is experiencing tremendous growth at the moment. I am interested in biomimicry, which I thought was part of biotechnology, and where there is the potential to build artificial systems reverse-engineered from exist biological ones, such as artificial neurons for a brain/computer interface or artificial plant leaves for solar power. However, biotechnology seems to be primarily focused, one again, on pharmaceuticals and designer medicines to cure diseases, something that doesn't necessarily pique my interest. I'm wondering what the projected growths are for these two fields (if nanotechnology won't be booming for another 10-15 years, I probably won't enter that field), and if biotechnology is the better option at the moment in terms of employment and growth. At this point in time, physics intrigues me, and has drawn me to nanotechnology, but this is subject to change pending on what the opportunities/costs are for each field. I'm attempting to pin down a college major, and am interested in physics, chemistry and biology. Any help will be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who has worked/studied in either of these fields.

2.) I can't seem to find a satisfactory description of the differences between technology and engineering for the two fields mentioned above, and was wondering if anyone knew of one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are there any significant differences that would make one more attractive than the other in terms of the job prospects and career growth?

1. What is the difference between nanotechnology and biotechnology?

Nanotechnology focuses on manipulating materials at the nanoscale (1-100 nanometers), while biotechnology involves using living organisms or their components to create products or processes.

2. How do nanotechnology and biotechnology intersect?

Nanotechnology can be used in biotechnology to enhance the delivery of drugs, manipulate DNA, and create new medical devices. Biotechnology can also be used to produce materials or structures at the nanoscale.

3. Is nanotechnology or biotechnology more advanced?

Both fields are constantly evolving and have their own unique applications and advancements. However, nanotechnology has been around for longer and has a wider range of current applications compared to biotechnology.

4. What is the role of engineering in nanotechnology and biotechnology?

Engineering plays a crucial role in both fields, as it involves designing and creating the tools and devices used in nanotechnology and biotechnology. It also involves developing processes and systems to efficiently utilize these technologies.

5. What are the potential risks associated with nanotechnology and biotechnology?

Some potential risks include the toxicity of nanoparticles, unintended consequences on the environment, and ethical concerns surrounding the use of biotechnology in genetic engineering. However, extensive research and regulation are in place to address these risks and ensure the safe use of these technologies.