Linear Algebra: Proving A+A' Has Infinite Solutions

In summary, the homework equations do not have a solution when using the invertible property of the matrix.
ThankYou
linear algebra A' is A when two of A lines switched,A Invertible prove (A+A')x=0...

Homework Statement

A is a n*n matrix
A' is the matrix A when two two lines i,j are switched.
(switch two random lines is A and you get A')
If A Invertible Prove that the system (A+A')x=0 has infinite solutions

Homework Equations

linear algebra including Determinant

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that A+A' has two identical lines so when subtracting them I get a line of 0 and then Because I know there is a line of 0 I know that there are infinite solutions...
But I did not used the fact that A is Invertible...
How do I solve it while using this fact? , I try to use Determinant but I do not mange to.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

let Det(A)=k
then Det(A')=-k (two rows are switched)

Det(A+A')=?

Thank you very much

sakodo said:
let Det(A)=k
then Det(A')=-k (two rows are switched)

Det(A+A')=?

That logic doesn't work because det(A+A') is not equal to det(A)+det(A'). You need to think of something else ThankYou. Might it be that A+A' has two identical rows? How can you use that? You don't need the premise that A is invertible.

Dick said:
That logic doesn't work because det(A+A') is not equal to det(A)+det(A'). You need to think of something else ThankYou. Might it be that A+A' has two identical rows? How can you use that? You don't need the premise that A is invertible.

My bad.

Ha...
I've just got the Homework result back...
I got -6 for this question..
I know about the two identical lines but it did not used the fact that A is invertible...

Actually they just put the invertible fact to confuse because the teacher solution was the same as Dick without using the invertible Fact

Thanks anyway.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations to solve systems of linear equations and understand geometric concepts.

2. What is the purpose of proving A+A' has infinite solutions?

The purpose of proving A+A' has infinite solutions is to show that the matrix A is singular, meaning it does not have an inverse. This is important in linear algebra because a non-invertible matrix can lead to inconsistent or underdetermined systems of equations, which can make it impossible to find a unique solution.

3. How can A+A' have infinite solutions?

A+A' can have infinite solutions if the matrix A is symmetric and has at least one zero eigenvalue. This means that there is at least one linearly independent vector that satisfies the equation Ax=0, resulting in an infinite number of solutions for A+A'x=0.

4. What is the relationship between A+A' and the eigenvalues of A?

The eigenvalues of A are related to A+A' because the eigenvalues of A+A' are the sum of the eigenvalues of A and A' (the transpose of A). Therefore, if A has at least one zero eigenvalue, then A+A' will also have at least one zero eigenvalue.

5. How does proving A+A' has infinite solutions impact linear algebra applications?

Proving A+A' has infinite solutions has practical implications in linear algebra applications because it can help identify when a matrix is singular and cannot be inverted. This can help avoid errors and ensure that the solutions obtained are valid and unique. Additionally, it allows for a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of matrices in various systems and equations.