Does anyone have any experience with computer vision?

In summary: Over all, it seems that the person is considering two options for their undergraduate degree: a BSc in Computer Vision or a BSc in Physics. They are leaning towards Physics because it interests them more, but they are worried about the job prospects after graduation. They also mention possibly pursuing a Master's degree, but not a PhD due to their age. They are also considering doing a double major in Computer Science and Physics, which would take an extra year but may make them more employable. They mention that the Computer Vision program is highly regarded and more difficult than a regular CS degree, with a focus on advanced math courses. They also mention the possibility of doing a double major program, which can be beneficial for job prospects.

A lot of graduate study in physics and astronomy is numerical modelling.

The main industrial use is probably Wall St (quants) - so you should probably be able to find a job if you know how to solve massively complex problems on a computer efficently.

Physics news on Phys.org

dacruick said:
hi tamtam, what do you mean by engineering physics? Like mechanical engineering?

In my opinion this is the biggest barrier engineering physics faces - many employers have no idea what it is, and are more comfortable just grabbing an engineer, or physics student with the relavant background.

You can get around the problem with experience and good communication, but you need to be aware it exists.

Locrian said:
In my opinion this is the biggest barrier engineering physics faces - many employers have no idea what it is, and are more comfortable just grabbing an engineer, or physics student with the relavant background.

You can get around the problem with experience and good communication, but you need to be aware it exists.

Well what am I supposed to do with my life then? :(

My goal is to work in R&D with interesting technology, OR to work on challenging problems (twofish comes to mind, his job in finance looks like something I would find challenging and fun). However, I'll be 24 when I start undergrad and I can't really get a PhD, I feel like that will make me start "real life" too late; I settled for a masters degree.

Maths and physics interest me a lot, and I have been around computers since I was a child. However, I've never programmed. I think Computer Science would be interesting, especially the kind of jobs you can get with a master's degree (it's more than grunt programming, right?), BUT I don't see myself being able to compete with all the self-taught programmer kids who have been doing the stuff for 10 years.

Would there be something for a not-so-hands-on kind of guy in engineering? Would getting a master's degree open me doors for R&D positions that would better fit the theory guy?

In research and development you hit an interesting barrier. If you are researching, that means you are not producing. If you are not producing, that means you are not making the company money. That means that there isn't always a huge budget for R&D, especially to fork out the kind of money that people with their masters and PhD usually get. R&D is also the first government sector to fall when there is economic issues.

That being said, I work in R&D, I am a physics student on a co-op term, and I almost exclusively program. I've been writing in python for about 6 months and I'm getting fairly advanced already. And I had never done programming before last year, so don't rule that out as an option. If you have ethic and a good mind for programming then you will be able to bring yourself to levels that others are at.

What about the "code monkey factor" though? I'm pretty sure programming *could* interest me, but only if I get to use mathematics and problem solving logics daily.

The way I see it, programming is the most "accessible" way to use a fair amount of maths in the real world, but would I really use mathematics?

I'm the kind of guy that would take all the math courses possible if I ever went into Comp. Science. However, I've been reading and from what I could find, you rarely use mathematics in your "real job" as a comp sci. graduate. Anyone mind sharing some opinion/experience here? Drone jobs bore me to death, I know some smart people than can endure them to some extent but I'm not one of these guys. If I'm not challenged, I get bored FAST.

The University of Maryland has a program in Computational Physics, and I'm sure they're not the only one.

Is there anything for a math/problem solving guy in EE?

Hello! First of all I must say I would be starting as an EE undergrad at 24 years old. I've been debating a lot about going the physics or the engineering route, and I had to settle with engineering since I'm older than the average student and I need a certain job security once I'm done with school.

I plan to get a master's degree, but a PhD might be too long for me (I'd be 32 by the time I get one, and chances are I'll want to start "real life" before then). This is another reason why I chose engineering over physics; a PhD is pretty much required to do anything physics related.

Now, I have absolutely no experience with electrical devices, circuits, etc. All I know is that I LOVE maths and solving problems. If maths could be part of my daily job I couldn't be happier ("hard" math, of course. Something that required thinking). Is there a field of EE that could be good for someone like me? I'm not really a hands-on person. Is that a big issue if I go the engineer route? I don't want to be a mediocre engineer that went in it for the money; I work very hard and I consider myself a fast learner.

I'd love to have a few recommendations on EE sub-fields that might be appealing to someone like me. Also, if you have other suggestions in other fields, feel free to list them!

Signal analysis uses a lot of math. I think anything related to EE in any way uses a considerable amount of math. You don't necessarily need to be a hands on guy though it does help, and in some cases is absolutely required.

Another area could be power systems. Load flow analysis, etc requires a significant amount of math, and EE in general, it seems, is dependent on computational techniques in these areas. Maybe software design? I'm a student myself, so I could be completely off the mark as regards the job scene afterwards.

Pretty much every branch of (electrical) engineering involves math and problem solving on a daily basis. Since you haven't even started your coursework yet, why don't you wait a bit and get your feet wet with the basics before thinking about a subfield to specialize in? There's a lot to be said about crossing bridges when you come to them.

You will definitely need math if you end up programming for the rest of your life. it would be very useful to become good at statistical analysis too.

But the fact of the matter is if you go to university, they teach you to be able to get into grad school, not to go out to a specific job and be successful. so you'll be doing math in dimensions no one will ever hire you for.

fss said:
Pretty much every branch of (electrical) engineering involves math and problem solving on a daily basis. Since you haven't even started your coursework yet, why don't you wait a bit and get your feet wet with the basics before thinking about a subfield to specialize in? There's a lot to be said about crossing bridges when you come to them.

Because I haven't started yet. See, my "true" passions are physics and math. However I already stated I'm 23 and I would need a PhD in either of these fields to *maybe* land a good job. I'm too old to go the physics path, get my PhD and end up developing software in a completely unrelated field.

My dad is an EE but he's been working in, err, I'm not sure how that's called in english but he makes building plans. He doesn't really use math and some technicians at his job do the same thing as him. I've also read a lot of posts about EE/ME that spend an insane amount of time on trivial tasks such as designing parts in CAD, involving no mathematics at all. Of course it takes someone to do that and I bet some people love it (my dad love his job), but I'm not one of these guys. My dad solves problems at his job everyday, but they're not math problems; he has to coordinate a lot of people, solve issues with the electricians on the jobsites, solve issues with architects, etc. That's not what I'm looking for.

Engineering seemed like a "secure" field to get into, which I believe is good for someone a bit older like me. Can I get into engineering expecting to do a job involving math and mathematical problem solving though? Will I find such as job if that's what I want? I plan to get a master's degree if that changes anything. Am I the wrong type of person for engineering jobs? I'm not looking for money, I'm looking for a job that will keep me interested, which in turn will make me want to do it and get better at it.

dacruick said:
You will definitely need math if you end up programming for the rest of your life. it would be very useful to become good at statistical analysis too.

But the fact of the matter is if you go to university, they teach you to be able to get into grad school, not to go out to a specific job and be successful. so you'll be doing math in dimensions no one will ever hire you for.

When I say I'm interested in maths, I don't expect to solve problems in 12 dimensions as a daily job, of course. But, something that would require me to think and "see" what kind of math can be used to solve X problem, even though the math isn't the hardest thing in the world, would be a step above getting told to program X thing using Y way. Can I expect to find a "math" job like that in Comp Sci., or am I better off somewhere else if I want to use my brain daily at a job?

no one is going to baby you through anything. If you are the programmer they are going to tell you to program X, and that it better be good.

As for myself, I want programming to be a tool, not a career. If you told me I had to be a programmer for the rest of my life I would be very upset.

tamtam402 said:
Because I haven't started yet. See, my "true" passions are physics and math. However I already stated I'm 23 and I would need a PhD in either of these fields to *maybe* land a good job.

What gives you this impression?
I've also read a lot of posts about EE/ME that spend an insane amount of time on trivial tasks such as designing parts in CAD, involving no mathematics at all.

Hate to break it to you, but grunt work is a part of almost every job in a technical or scientific field.

My dad solves problems at his job everyday, but they're not math problems; he has to coordinate a lot of people, solve issues with the electricians on the jobsites, solve issues with architects, etc. That's not what I'm looking for.

At a certain point (well, if career advancement is at all important to you) both physicists and engineers become managers in some capacity.

tamtam402 said:
Hello! First of all I must say I would be starting as an EE undergrad at 24 years old. I've been debating a lot about going the physics or the engineering route, and I had to settle with engineering since I'm older than the average student and I need a certain job security once I'm done with school.

I plan to get a master's degree, but a PhD might be too long for me (I'd be 32 by the time I get one, and chances are I'll want to start "real life" before then). This is another reason why I chose engineering over physics; a PhD is pretty much required to do anything physics related.

Now, I have absolutely no experience with electrical devices, circuits, etc. All I know is that I LOVE maths and solving problems. If maths could be part of my daily job I couldn't be happier ("hard" math, of course. Something that required thinking). Is there a field of EE that could be good for someone like me? I'm not really a hands-on person. Is that a big issue if I go the engineer route? I don't want to be a mediocre engineer that went in it for the money; I work very hard and I consider myself a fast learner.

I'd love to have a few recommendations on EE sub-fields that might be appealing to someone like me. Also, if you have other suggestions in other fields, feel free to list them!

I've dabbled a bit into electrical in my first year (my degree is a mechatronics degree, so mechanical/electrical/software mix)

From what I've seen so far, the math is quite interesting. However there's a lot of things like circuit design/physically putting together circuits which is fun, but may not be your thing.

But yeah, i think EE is probably a pretty math heavy Engineering field. (far more than mechanical/software at least)

Learnphysics said:
I've dabbled a bit into electrical in my first year (my degree is a mechatronics degree, so mechanical/electrical/software mix)

From what I've seen so far, the math is quite interesting. However there's a lot of things like circuit design/physically putting together circuits which is fun, but may not be your thing.

But yeah, i think EE is probably a pretty math heavy Engineering field. (far more than mechanical/software at least)

What is the purpose of mechatronics engineers? Wouldn't you be too spread out? Also for the previous poster, people are posting left and right that they can't find jobs with their physics PhD's, the only thing they can get is a teaching position in a high school, which wouldn't really be my thing. Guys that are looking to hire a physicist will want a PhD, and even PhD's have troubles getting jobs.

Holy cow I just read a little bit on mechatronics and it sounds awesome; is it as fun as it looks? Is there really a market for the electronics/mechanic engineer hybrid mechatronics seems to create?

Edit: is mechatronics more "hands-on" than EE?

If you like maths, do maths.

Most fields of engineering ( Aerospace, software, major electrical power engineering, oilfield engineering...) require heavy duty computational and applied maths and employ (applied) mathematicians, such as myself.

I have done such work for surveying, gas flow engineering, bridge engineering, corrosion engineering, to name a few, during my career.

Studiot said:
If you like maths, do maths.

Most fields of engineering ( Aerospace, software, major electrical power engineering, oilfield engineering...) require heavy duty computational and applied maths and employ (applied) mathematicians, such as myself.

I have done such work for surveying, gas flow engineering, bridge engineering, corrosion engineering, to name a few, during my career.

Hmm interesting, I didn't think such a thing existed. How are the jobs prospects in such a field? Better than physics?

Applied/computational mathematics

Are these jobs in demand? I love maths but I'd like to do something that will land me a job once I graduate. Since I also love programming and computers in general, I figured this could be a good path for me.

Is there a big need for computational mathematics/physics? Are the jobs prospects as good as engineering?

Thanks!

<h2>1. Can computer vision be used in real-world applications?</h2><p>Yes, computer vision has a wide range of real-world applications including self-driving cars, facial recognition, medical imaging, and surveillance systems.</p><h2>2. What are the main challenges in implementing computer vision?</h2><p>The main challenges in implementing computer vision include handling large amounts of data, dealing with varying lighting conditions, and developing accurate algorithms for object recognition.</p><h2>3. How accurate is computer vision in object recognition?</h2><p>The accuracy of computer vision in object recognition depends on the specific application and the quality of the data and algorithms used. In general, computer vision systems can achieve high levels of accuracy, but there is always room for improvement.</p><h2>4. What programming languages are commonly used in computer vision?</h2><p>The most commonly used programming languages in computer vision are Python, C++, and MATLAB. These languages have a wide range of libraries and frameworks specifically designed for computer vision tasks.</p><h2>5. Is computer vision only used in visual tasks?</h2><p>No, computer vision can also be used in non-visual tasks such as text recognition and natural language processing. In fact, computer vision is often combined with other technologies to create more advanced systems.</p>

1. Can computer vision be used in real-world applications?

Yes, computer vision has a wide range of real-world applications including self-driving cars, facial recognition, medical imaging, and surveillance systems.

2. What are the main challenges in implementing computer vision?

The main challenges in implementing computer vision include handling large amounts of data, dealing with varying lighting conditions, and developing accurate algorithms for object recognition.

3. How accurate is computer vision in object recognition?

The accuracy of computer vision in object recognition depends on the specific application and the quality of the data and algorithms used. In general, computer vision systems can achieve high levels of accuracy, but there is always room for improvement.

4. What programming languages are commonly used in computer vision?

The most commonly used programming languages in computer vision are Python, C++, and MATLAB. These languages have a wide range of libraries and frameworks specifically designed for computer vision tasks.

5. Is computer vision only used in visual tasks?

No, computer vision can also be used in non-visual tasks such as text recognition and natural language processing. In fact, computer vision is often combined with other technologies to create more advanced systems.