Need advice on dropping a class.

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore physics student who is struggling with a heavy course load and has taken on too many obligations this semester. They are considering taking a W in a computer programming class to alleviate stress, but are worried about the impact on their transcript. They have been spending a lot of time studying but have not been seeing the desired results. They are seeking advice on what to do. Another person in the conversation suggests that taking a W is understandable in this situation and encourages the speaker to not be too hard on themselves. The speaker then reveals that they have also had to withdraw from another course and expresses relief and gratitude for the advice given.
Agent M27
I am currently a sophomore physics student taking a pretty rough course load and am struggling quite more than was expected. I took computer programming as a class "for fun" but it is totally blowing me away. I think I currently have a C in the class and it does not appear to be getting easier, especially since my obligations to my core classes are beginning to stack up. My problem is I took on too much this semester, 17 credits and outside research with a presentation coming up in January at the AMS, and I feel like I'm drowning. I don't know which would appear better on a transcript, a W or a C which would bring down my gpa. It is not just the C from it, the amount of time required for the work is interrupting my other course work. For example, I have spent the last 4 weeks straight either in the library or my home, from 7am to 9pm studying. I have no problem putting in the work, it's fun actually, but when I do, I expect results, results which as of late I have not been enjoying. Sorry for the rant, stress is wearing on me, so my question is, what should I do? Thanks in advance, and hats off to those who didn't crack at a point like the one I seem to be at.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
Taking a W, if for good reasons, doesn't hurt you that much down the line. In your situation I'd say it's merited, especially if it's an elective and affecting your physics coursework.

If you have just one W by the time you graduate, it won't be too big of a deal.

Don't be too hard on yourself; everyone has a breaking point. Good thing you recognized that it was too much, and are making plans to rectify it. Hang in there!

Ya this is a hard moment for ones pride, but being ignorant about things will get me into worse trouble. Just reading your advice is alleviating some of the building stress. Thanks.

Joe

I had to withdraw from history of all courses.

Who knew 15 page papers are hard to write?

imo, if a W perserves your sanity, then it's well worth it.

1. How will dropping a class affect my GPA?

Dropping a class may affect your GPA depending on the policies of your school. If the class is not a required course for your major and you drop it early enough, it may not have an impact on your GPA. However, if the class is required or you drop it late in the semester, it may result in a lower GPA.

2. Will dropping a class affect my financial aid?

Yes, dropping a class may affect your financial aid. If you are receiving financial aid, it is important to check with your school's financial aid office to understand how dropping a class may impact your aid. In some cases, dropping a class may result in a reduction or loss of financial aid.

3. Can I drop a class at any point during the semester?

The ability to drop a class may vary depending on your school's policies. Some schools have specific deadlines for dropping classes, while others may allow you to drop a class at any point during the semester. It is important to check with your academic advisor or registrar's office to understand your school's policies.

4. Will dropping a class show up on my transcript?

Yes, dropping a class may show up on your transcript. However, depending on when you drop the class, it may not impact your GPA. Many schools have a deadline for dropping classes without it appearing on your transcript. It is important to check with your school to understand their policies.

5. What are the consequences of dropping a class?

The consequences of dropping a class may vary depending on your school's policies and the timing of when you drop the class. In some cases, dropping a class may result in a lower GPA, loss of financial aid, or a delay in graduation. It is important to consider these consequences before making the decision to drop a class and to consult with your academic advisor for guidance.