What is the double integral for a triangle with vertices (1,1),(2,4),(5,2)?

In summary, the double integral for the given region is set up by finding the equations of the three lines that form the triangle and defining the range of x and y limits. However, the correct answer is not obtained and further assistance is needed.
jahlin

Homework Statement

Compute the double integral where the region is a triangle with vertices (1,1),(2,4),(5,2).(please see the attachment)

Homework Equations

double integral((16-2x-3y)1/11)da

The Attempt at a Solution

first i found the equation of the three lines :

(1,1)-->(5,2) y=x(1/4)+3/4
(1,1)-->(2,4) y=3x-2
(2,4)--->(5,2) y=-x(2/3)+16/3

and then i set up the double integral by defining the range of x and y limits.
1<x<2 , x(1/4)+3/4<y<3x-2
2<x<5, (1/4)x+3/4<y<-x(2/3)+16/3

i integrated these 2 integrals but I am not getting the right answer!

Attachments

• double integral.JPG
    double integral.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 331
Physics news on Phys.org
Your set-up sounds correct. Show us what you did when you integrated. Maybe the problem is there.

if the setup sounds good then i will manage to get the right answer by myself. Thanks

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of integral in calculus that involves finding the area between a surface and a coordinate plane. It is a way to calculate the volume under a three-dimensional function.

How is a double integral calculated?

A double integral is calculated by first defining the limits of integration for both the x and y variables. Then, the function is multiplied by an infinitesimal area element and summed over the entire region. This process can be done using various integration techniques such as rectangular, polar, or cylindrical coordinates.

What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve on a two-dimensional graph, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface on a three-dimensional graph. Single integrals have one variable of integration, while double integrals have two.

What is the purpose of computing a double integral?

Computing a double integral is useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, as it allows for the calculation of volume, mass, center of mass, and other important quantities. It is also used in optimization problems and to solve differential equations.

What are some common applications of double integrals?

Some common applications of double integrals include finding the volume of a solid, calculating the average value of a function over a region, determining the mass and center of mass of an object, and solving problems in fluid mechanics and electromagnetism.