Estimate how fast he should be moving

• Thread starter WillParadigm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Estimate
In summary, the conversation is discussing a kinematics problem involving Superman jumping over a tall building. The individual needs help finding the initial velocity (v(i)) in order to solve for the time (t) needed to clear the building. Through the use of equations and hints provided, it is determined that the final time (t_f) can be found by dividing the initial velocity (v_i) by the gravitational acceleration (g). This can then be substituted into the distance equation to solve for the initial velocity. The conversation ends with the individual thanking the expert for their help.
WillParadigm
Kinematics Problem. How do I get T to solve for V(i). PLEASE HELP

9.Superman is supposed to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Suppose that he obeys the normal laws of physics in this feat. Estimate how fast he should be moving when he leaves the ground so that he just clears the top of Disque Hall. (Hint # 1: how fast would he be moving if he just fell off the top? Hint #2: you have to estimate how tall Disque Hall is.)

Disque Hall is I estimate about 160 feet tall.

with hint #1, I mean, I know g=9.8 m/s^2 but how do I use that to help me figure out how fast he should be going to over leap the building?

Please help me!

*edit, alright, I mean, I know this equation is

d=v(i)t + 1/2at^2

so I have d, which is 160 feet, I have a, which is 9.8 m/s^2, but I converted that into feet to match the building, so a, is now 32.2 ft/s^2. and I know I'm trying to solve for the initial velocity, which has to be great enough so that he can jump over the building, but how do I find t? am I supposed to just guess how long it'll take him?! because then I would know all the variables, but that doesn't seem right

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok reedited, so I know what I'm looking for, but the question is, how do I determine how to find them, what equation am I missing?

1. Find out when superman reaches maximum height (what must his velocity be then?)
2. Use the time found here in your distance equation.
This yields an equation for the initial velocity

ok, I can understand that part for finding time, superman's final height

g = 9.8 m/s² and upward velocity is negative, since the gravitational acceleration, which acts downward, is always positive. so when superman reaches his maximum height, his velocity should be zero. right? So, vf = 0.

vf = vi + at
0 = vi + (9.8 m/s²)t

and that's all I got, do I already start estimating how fast he should be going at vi to get t? but then that doesn't make sense, since you need t in the other equation to get vi, so this is what is confusing me

You have, with correct sign:
[tex]0=v_{i}-gt_{f}[/tex]
whatever initial velocity ([tex]v_{i}[/tex]) is, and whatever the "final" time is.
Hence, you have:
[tex]t_{f}=\frac{v_{i}}{g}[/tex]
Substitute this expression for the final time into the "t"-place in your distance equation.

are you a physics professor/major? because you should be... =)

thank you very much, that makes 100% sense now.

1. What is the meaning of "estimate how fast he should be moving"?

Estimating how fast someone should be moving refers to calculating the ideal or expected speed at which an individual should be moving in a particular situation, based on various factors such as distance, time, physical capabilities, and safety.

2. How do you calculate the speed at which someone should be moving?

The speed at which someone should be moving can be calculated by dividing the distance they need to cover by the time they have to cover it. This will give you the average speed needed to reach the destination in the allotted time.

3. What factors should be considered when estimating how fast someone should be moving?

Some factors that should be taken into consideration when estimating how fast someone should be moving include the distance they need to cover, the terrain and obstacles they may encounter, their physical abilities and fitness level, the mode of transportation, and any time constraints.

4. Why is it important to estimate how fast someone should be moving?

Estimating how fast someone should be moving is important for a variety of reasons. It can help ensure that they reach their destination on time, avoid accidents or injuries due to moving too quickly or too slowly, and optimize their physical exertion to conserve energy and avoid fatigue.

5. How can estimating how fast someone should be moving be useful in scientific research?

In scientific research, estimating how fast someone should be moving can provide valuable data for studying human movement and performance. By measuring and analyzing the speed at which individuals move in different situations, scientists can gain insights into human behavior, physical capabilities, and potential limits.