Can Anyone Share a Digitized NTSC and PAL Stream File at 27MHz?

• Thread starter chroot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Software
In summary: WarrenIf you are only interested in decoding the color burst, then you do not need to worry about the timing or accuracy of the chroma location. Just process the color burst as you would any other signal. If you want to decode the entire NTSC signal, then you will need to find a way to sample the signal at a faster rate than 14.31818MHz.
chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Does anyone know of any (open-source) software that can decode a digitized NTSC signal?

- Warren

Engineering news on Phys.org
All sorts of stuff out there.
What kind of source do you have and what do you want to do with it.

Imagine that I have a digitized NTSC signal, sampled at 14.31818MHz @ 8-bit, stored in a file on my disk. I want to be able to produce images from it for display.

- Warren

>14.31818MHz @ 8-bit

Maybe a better question would be -- WHY do you want to do that?
And where do you plan to get a digitizer that CAN do that?

If you actually have such a thing then black & white rendering would just be a few lines of code. NTSC color would require a FFT and I don't think you could get real time out of that.
Finding color capable source code would be most unlikely.

Normal video capture cards use a PLL to extract color. Then digitize the result at somewhere between 2 to 4 Mhz using 3 channels.

It's for a demonstration, actually.

14.31818 MHz is very slow by today's ADC standards. Many ADCs are running at or beyond a gigahertz. 14.31818 MHz is, in fact, a standard sampling rate for NTSC, giving about 4 points per cycle on the color burst, enough to extract reasonably accurate chroma.

An FFT is no problem. I would venture that I can easily get real-time on a GHz+ PC.

I was only wondering if source already existed -- if it does not, I have no problem writing my own.

- Warren

Last edited:
>Many ADCs are running at or beyond a gigahertz.

I took a quick look. Seems you are right.
Are you designing the hardware?

How fast can you do 1024 points with that FFT?
Roughly the number of points you have per line.
Might not be the best way to do this anyway.
Try hunting up info on comb filters. That might help.

I know this thread is pretty old, but I happen to have a similar need. Did anyone ever find software to perform this function. Thanks in advance.

TimeStamp,

I ended up writing the code myself in C, based largely on information from the book Video Demystified. It ran very competently on a GHz+ PC, but I ended up reimplementing it on an FPGA, because it became very difficult to get >10 MB/s of data into a PC in the first place. Don't believe for a second that 480 Mbit/s USB 2.0 can really achieve 480 Mbit/s into RAM. :wink:

I regret that I cannot give you the source code, as my company owns it, but most of what you'd need is in the Video Demystified book. Note that chroma decoding requires only a digital PLL and a mixer -- no FFT is required.

- Warren

Hi Chroot,

Thanks for replying to an old thread. What I was originally looking for was a single video frame decoder - no continuous high speed on-the-fly execution required. I have software in place now that reconstructs an interlaced video frame from a simple digitizer and creates a black and white bitmap image (luma only). I know only the basic concepts involved for NTSC and have found numerous places on the net discussing quadrature and chroma :confused: . I have actually seen the Video Demystified book but most of it was over my head - being mostly a software guy.

I respect your wish to not release source code (DARN!), but if you could hint at some kind of functional procedure, it would really be greatly appreciated. If not, that is repected also.

Thanks,
Bill

If you have the Video Demystified book, everything you could possibly need to understand the NTSC signal is in there. The appropriate digital decoding circuitry (which you could emulate in software) is also right there, laid out in block diagrams.

What are the requirements of your application? Do you need to decode color (chroma)? A black-and-white decoder is probably just a couple days' worth of work, if you understand the signal thoroughly. A color decoder is, in my estimation, about five times as difficult.

- Warren

As I said, I was successful with deriving a blank and white image from the video signal and have a good understanding of all the H/V line components and their timing and functionality. My next task is to add color to the image. I am familar with implementing digital filters in the frequency domain via FFTs and iFFTs - I was just looking for some insight from someone that has been down this road once before. For example, how should the color burst be processed and how stringent is the need to accurately locate the first sample of the burst and/or the active region of the line? Mainly just practical problems that I should be aware of. I guess I will try and hunt down a copy of the book.

Bill

All you really need to do, in the software domain, is fit a sine wave to the color burst. You can use a least-mean-square technique for this. The first sample of the burst is not significant -- you just want to minimize the phase difference between your synthesized sine wave and the color burst. Most implementations discard a portion of the beginning and end of the color burst anyway.

- Warren

Ok, that's good information. I assume that this must be done on every line (i.e. the results of the best fit cannot be applied to all lines based on the result of one). Thanks.

Bill

TimeStamp said:
Ok, that's good information. I assume that this must be done on every line (i.e. the results of the best fit cannot be applied to all lines based on the result of one). Thanks.

You don't necessarily have to check your fit on every single line, but you should check it often enough that drift does not become an issue.

- Warren

Well its an old thread, I was wondering if anyone can send me digitized NTSC and PAL sampled at around 27@MHz stream file.? It will be great.
thanks and regards
prag79@gmail.com

1. What is software NTSC decoding?

Software NTSC decoding is a process used to convert analog NTSC signals into digital signals that can be read and interpreted by a computer. It is commonly used in video recording and playback devices, such as DVD players and television tuners.

2. How does software NTSC decoding work?

Software NTSC decoding works by analyzing and interpreting the analog NTSC signal, which is made up of three color components (red, green, and blue) and a synchronization signal. The software converts this signal into a digital form and then separates the color components to create a digital image.

3. What are the benefits of software NTSC decoding?

The main benefit of software NTSC decoding is its ability to convert analog signals into digital form, making it easier to store, edit, and distribute. It also allows for better quality images and sound compared to analog signals.

4. Can software NTSC decoding be used for other video formats?

Yes, software NTSC decoding can be used for other video formats, such as PAL and SECAM, by adjusting the decoding process to accommodate the different color systems and frame rates.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to software NTSC decoding?

One limitation of software NTSC decoding is that it requires a powerful computer to process the large amount of data in real time. It is also not able to improve the quality of the original analog signal and may introduce artifacts or errors in the decoding process.