Cyclic Voltammetry: Meaning & Lab Results

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, the conversation is discussing about a ferrocene lab where cyclic voltammetry was used to obtain reversible oxidation results of ferrocene and acetylferrocene. The lab also introduced the bulk electrolysis technique, but the results were not reproducible. In addition, there is a discussion about the reactivity of cobaltocene and nickelocene and it is concluded that nickelocene would be more reactive due to its need to get rid of two electrons. The stability of compounds also decreases with increasing electron count from 18.
gravenewworld
I'm trying to do this ferrocene lab, and we did cyclic voltammetry on our purified product and I calculated these results:

E_1/2= 664.6 mV
I_pc/I_pa=-.6221
Delta Ep=29.2 mV

Can anyone tell me what these numbers mean? I don't really understand what voltammetry tells you about your compound.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, I've found http://materials.binghamton.edu/labs/ferrocene/ferrocene.html for your evaluation. In here, it reads the following:
The electrochemistry component of this laboratory was the first time that most students were exposed to cyclic voltammetry and the bulk electrolysis technique. An Amel System 5000 Potentiostat was used for all measurements. For cyclic voltammetry, the electrochemical cell was a 100 mL beaker equipped with a Ag/AgCl reference electrode (student prepared), a BAS (West Lafayette, IN) platinum-disk working electrode (2 mm diameter) and a large (1 cm2) platinum flag counter electrode. After having verified a flat background of tetrabutylammonium hexafluorophosphate (0.01 M) supporting electrolyte in acetonitrile in the range 0.0 to 1.0 V vs. Ag/AgCl, cyclic voltammograms of ferrocene and acetylferrocene (approximately 3.2 x 10-3 M) were obtained at scan rates of 100 500 mV/sec. A typical cyclic voltammogram of ferrocene showed a reversible oxidation at E1/2 = +0.35 V vs. Ag/AgCl with Ep/2 = 0.057V. A typical cyclic voltammogram of acetylferrocene also showed a reversible oxidation at E1/2 = +0.58 V vs. Ag/AgCl with Ep/2 = 0.044V. Small peaks for ferrocene were also visible in the acetylferrocene cyclic voltammogram. These results are comparable to the reported E of acetylferrocene at +0.27 V vs. the ferrocene/ferrocenium couple (6).

A second new electrochemical component that was recently introduced into this laboratory is the bulk electrolysis of ferrocene to ferrocenium. The electrochemical cell was a 100 mL beaker equipped with an Ag/AgCl reference electrode (student prepared), a BAS (West Lafayette, IN) reticulated vitreous carbon (RVC) working electrode and an extremely large platinum flag counter electrode. After having verified a flat background of tetrabutylammonium hexafluorophosphate (0.01 M) supporting electrolyte in acetonitrile in the range 0.0 to 1.0 V vs. Ag/AgCl, the bulk electrolysis of ferrocene (approximately 7.5 x 10-4 M) was achieved on several occasions. As expected, a new peak in the UV-Vis was observed at 620 nm and the solution changed color from orange to blue. Unfortunately to date, these experimental conditions are not reproducible.

Regards, chem_tr

Hey thanks a lot I appreciate your help. Can I just ask 1 more question? When comparing cobaltocene with nickelocene which would be more reactive? I know that Cobaltocene has a 19 e- count and nickelocene a 20 e- count. Both would like to get to a stable 18 e- count. So would Cobaltocene be more reactive since it only has to get rid of 1 e- or would nickelocene be more reactive?

I think nickelocene would be more reactive, since it has to get rid of two electrons to reach the stable 18 electron configuration as soon as possible. However in another viewpoint, giving two electrons requires higher energy than giving only one electron as evidenced with alkali and Earth alkali metal ions.

You may want to check this website for useful information. Your textbooks should give some hints about the stability. Ferrocene is more stable I know it, but I think stability decreases with increasing electron count from 18.

What is cyclic voltammetry?

Cyclic voltammetry is an electrochemical technique used to study the redox behavior of a chemical species. It involves applying a potential to a working electrode and measuring the resulting current, while gradually changing the potential over time.

How does cyclic voltammetry work?

In cyclic voltammetry, a potential is applied to the working electrode, causing a redox reaction to occur. This results in a current flow, which is measured by the instrument. The potential is then gradually changed, and the current is recorded at each potential, creating a voltammogram.

What information can be obtained from cyclic voltammetry?

Cyclic voltammetry can provide information about the redox potential, kinetics, and reversibility of a chemical reaction. It can also determine the concentration and diffusion coefficient of the species being studied.

What are some common applications of cyclic voltammetry?

Cyclic voltammetry is commonly used in electrochemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry research. It can be used to study the behavior of redox-active compounds, as well as to analyze samples for the presence of specific chemicals.

How are cyclic voltammetry results interpreted?

Cyclic voltammetry results are typically analyzed by examining the shape and position of the voltammogram peaks. The peak current, potential, and shape can provide information about the redox behavior and kinetics of the species being studied.