A confusion in relationship of buck-boost converter

In summary, on page 73 of the book "Switching power supplies A to Z", it is stated that for the buck-boost configuration, as the input voltage increases, the duty cycle decreases. This is due to the application of the voltsecond law, where an increase in input voltage results in a decrease in on-time and an increase in off-time for regulation. This leads to a decrease in duty cycle.
NexusN

Homework Statement

On book 'Switching power supplies A to Z' page 73 at the bottom, (please kindly proceed to the link below for that page)
http://books.google.com/books?id=cu...A73#v=onepage&q=switching power supply&f=true

It stated that:

"For the buck-boost, the situation can be analyzed as follows:
■ As the input increases, the duty cycle decreases."

The input here should be referring to the input voltage, but I can hardly understand why an increase in input would put a decrease on the duty cycle, which in turns the on-time.

With duty cycle and voltage relationship formula, it should be

D=Vout/(Vout-Vin),
which an increase in Vin would bring an increase to duty cycle.

I have been trying to figure out why but it seems I have missed something important.
May you kindly point out the fault I have.
Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
After some minutes and having read the changed described on the mentioned book,
they are all the same, Vin increases --> Duty Cycle decreases, I think I've found the trick.

I was wrong to use the Duty Cycle - Voltage formula, instead,
I should apply the voltsecond law,
Von-ton = Voff-toff,
with Voff=Vout in this case, upon an increased Vin, we can only reduce ton and increase toff for regulation, thus resulting in a decrease in Duty Cycle.

What is a buck-boost converter?

A buck-boost converter is a type of DC-DC converter that can step up or step down the input voltage to create a stable output voltage. It is commonly used in electronic devices to regulate the voltage level.

How does a buck-boost converter work?

A buck-boost converter works by using a combination of inductors, capacitors, and switches to manipulate the flow of current and voltage in the circuit. It can either step down the input voltage (buck mode) or step up the input voltage (boost mode) depending on the configuration of the components.

What is a confusion in the relationship of buck-boost converter?

The confusion in the relationship of buck-boost converter refers to the difficulty in understanding the behavior and performance of the converter in different operating modes. This confusion is often caused by the complex nature of the circuit and the non-linear relationship between its input and output voltage.

What are the advantages of using a buck-boost converter?

The main advantage of using a buck-boost converter is its ability to provide a stable output voltage regardless of fluctuations in the input voltage. It also has a high efficiency and can handle a wide range of input voltages, making it suitable for various applications.

What are the limitations of a buck-boost converter?

The limitations of a buck-boost converter include high ripple voltage, which can affect the performance of sensitive electronic components. It also requires careful design and selection of components to ensure proper operation, which can be challenging for inexperienced users.