What are the challenges faced by female engineering students?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of studying engineering and facing potential sexism as a female student. The initial speaker expresses their interest in math and science, but fears encountering mean male classmates who will make sexist comments. Others in the conversation offer encouragement and advice, with some sharing their own experiences in the field. The conversation also touches on the comparison between engineering and nursing as potential career paths.
@OP, do you think that you can handle the emotional demands of nursing? You can spend weeks and weeks calculating the water demands for a cooling system with no emotional baggage. If you have to spend that same time caring for some patients (some of which may be terminally ill), I'd bet that you'd be carrying home some emotional baggage after every shift.

Physics news on Phys.org
VikFloyd said:
Hahahahaha! I'm just a little paranoid. Let's just say high school years were hell for me and some of that is still with me. I am contemplating nursing as well which is another problem. I don't know which one to choose.

From my experience, high school and college are night/ day difference. People seem to be more liberal and accepting in college...or they basically don't care as much.

Because of this, a lot of...um, "interesting" people come out of the closet in college...crazy colored hairstyles, vampire people, etc. Some of them would make Lady Gaga blush. If they can handle it, being a woman engineer should be a walk in the park.

That, and quite honeslty you probably WILL be one of a small percentage of girls in the school. Just becasue of that fact you should ideally receive more positive attention than otherwise.

I didn't have many women in my engineering classes. One...maybe two. But I don't recall her being harassed. One of my engineering professors was also a woman...

If the threat of sexism worries you, it worries you and there's nothing you can do about it. However, although you can't control how you feel, you can control how you ACT. Don't let your transient emotions deter you from entering a degree that you'd enjoy.

Just like a woman, getting all emotional over nothing...

Kidding, of course... :p

My mother is a civil engineer. Because of the job market flux, near Detroit, she is doing road/bridge construction inspection to bide time until retirement - but she never has any issues with the guys. It may be different because she has 30 years experience and knows enough people, but she's succeeded across all that time.

I think you may have more of an issue with nursing because of the heirarchy that is everpresent in nursing with MDs above and MAs below. While a male Doctor may not mean to offend your gender, the role in which you are taking as a nurse may cause more 'incident'. Also, patients may be more demeaning than perpetual, professional coworkers in an engineering environment.

Of course you should do what feels right, but if you're to the point of flipping a coin over it, I would suggest going the engineering route.

I thought this topic would be about a guy who wanted to become a "female engineering" student :rofl:

I think to some extent there is a degree of reverse sexism and affirmative action towards females in engineering. When applying for a program (or a job) in Engineering or other STEM fields, diversity is desired, so often times if all other things being equal, the female will have a slight edge in getting into the program or job. Obviously this effect is rather small and getting smaller every year as more females are going into STEM fields.

sexist comments no. its not like we're in the 60s..
my mom is a chemical engineer..i never knew how difficult it was until i got into college. of course being engineer for me, aint going to happen as i am too dumb.

i was in an assembly class once and i was the only female there. i had to drop the class. not for any reason but the teacher didnt want me there as it wasnt part of my prospectus (i really wanted to join though i was interested in it).

as for asking what's better engineering or nursing. are you kidding ..

im a nurse, and it really depends if youre "made" for this. this is a lot of work..and i mean labor intensive. graveyard shifts, etc.

i need to warn you of the people you need to work with, they are like no other. it makes me mad just thinking about it. everyone is snappy. the whole environment is toxic.

the pay is just the same. look it up. engineers sit there and do stuff and get paid the same..and nurses need to clean bedpans, mucus, be elbow deep in blood, secretions..one mistake and you can get fired. i was in deep trouble for writing on the wrong chart. and i mean deep sh$%..

money isn't everything. if i had the brains i'd be an engineer instead :)