Are there any similarities between GR tensorial

• Thread starter physicquest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr
In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between the forces that prevent the universe from collapsing and the forces that prevent a soap bubble from collapsing. The question is whether these two phenomena are absolutely incomparable and if someone can explain in simple terms why. A suggestion is made to look into the concepts of "minimal surface" and "general relativity" as a starting point. The original poster also asks for a simplified explanation of the topic and whether the two systems are fundamentally impossible to compare.
physicquest
forces (Ricci tensor etc.) which prevent universe from collapsing and
the tensorial forces of surface tensions which prevent a soap bubble from collapsing?

Are these two phenomena absolutely incomparable?
Could someone explain in simple words why?
I'm new, and a student in quest for knowledge
Thank you, everybody

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
atyy said:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1101.5549 might be a place to start looking.

Thank you Sir, I downloaded the suggested file, but on the face of it it'll take me months (if ever) to digest it.

Could anyone be so kind and anticipate the answer:
Are the two systems absolutely incomparable?why?

My naive view of the problem is that
soapbubble and universe are like a fully spherical vault ( a vault is semi spherical, an arch is semicircular), in which every element is a Keystone
and surface tension and gravitation prevent collapse.

I realize this is silly and not true. My question is " untrue, silly but impossible in principle?"

1. What is a GR tensorial?

A GR tensorial, also known as a General Relativity tensorial, is a mathematical object used in Einstein's theory of General Relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime. It is a key component in understanding how gravity works in the universe.

2. How does a GR tensorial differ from other types of tensors?

GR tensorials are different from other types of tensors in that they are specifically designed to work within the framework of General Relativity. They have a different mathematical structure and properties compared to tensors used in other areas of physics.

3. Are there any real-world applications for GR tensorials?

Yes, GR tensorials have many real-world applications in astrophysics and cosmology. They are used to model the behavior of black holes, the expansion of the universe, and the bending of light by massive objects.

4. Can non-scientists understand the concept of GR tensorials?

It may be challenging for non-scientists to fully grasp the mathematical intricacies of GR tensorials, but the concept itself can be understood with some effort. There are many popular science resources available that explain the basics of General Relativity and tensor mathematics.

5. Are there any similarities between GR tensorials and other mathematical objects?

There are some similarities between GR tensorials and other mathematical objects, such as tensors used in other areas of physics and mathematical objects used in other fields of study. However, GR tensorials have unique properties and are specifically designed for use in General Relativity, making them distinct from other mathematical objects.