Question regarding redox process

In summary: Since the oxidation number for sulfur must be 5, you have not correctly calculated the redox reaction. Take oxygen 2- and hydrogen 1+ and recalculate.
Mathman23
Hi

I got the following redox-process:

[itex]IO_3^{-} (aq) + HSO_3^{-}(aq) \rightarrow I_2(aq) + SO_4^{2-}(aq)[/itex]

How do I balance it?

Any hits will be apriciated :)

Sincerely

Fred

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not hard, provided that you correctly find the oxidation states of all atoms involved in the process. You can easily assume that hydrogen is almost always 1+, while oxygen is almost 2-. The remaining atoms are the ones involved in the redox reaction.

In iodate, as oxygen is 2- and the total charge is 1-, you can calculate iodine's oxidation state. Do the same for iodine, bisulfite, and sulfate. Find how many electrons are exchanged between atoms.

Show your work, and we'll go on from there.

chem_tr said:
It is not hard, provided that you correctly find the oxidation states of all atoms involved in the process. You can easily assume that hydrogen is almost always 1+, while oxygen is almost 2-. The remaining atoms are the ones involved in the redox reaction.

In iodate, as oxygen is 2- and the total charge is 1-, you can calculate iodine's oxidation state. Do the same for iodine, bisulfite, and sulfate. Find how many electrons are exchanged between atoms.

Show your work, and we'll go on from there.

Hi

Here is what I have been able to come up as far:

[itex]IO_3^{-} (aq) + HSO_{3}^{-}(aq) \rightarrow I_{2}(aq) + SO_4^{2-}(aq)[/itex]

Step1.

[itex]IO_3^{-} \rightarrow I_2[/itex]

[itex]HSO_3^{-} \rightarrow SO_4^{2-}[/itex]

Step2.
[itex]IO_3^{-} + 4H^{+} \rightarrow I_{2} + 2H_2O[/itex]
[itex]HSO_3^{-} + H_2 O \rightarrow SO_4^{2-} + 3H^+[/itex]

Step3.

[itex]IO_3^{-} + 4H^{+} + 4e^{-} \rightarrow I_2 + 2H_2O[/itex]
[itex]HSO_3^{-} + H_2O \rightarrow SO_4^{2-} + 3H^{+} + 3e^{-}[/itex]

From here I'm stuck. How do I proceed?

/Fred

Now just balance the e- and H+ ions and add the two reactions together.

Then what I have done until now is correct?

/Fred

so-crates said:
Now just balance the e- and H+ ions and add the two reactions together.

So-crates is right, maybe you can try one additional step before writing the actual ions: Write them in their plain ionic type (like I5+ and I0) to see how many electrons are leaving exactly. Then convert them to the actual ions.

[tex]I^{5+} +5e^-\longrightarrow I^0[/tex]

As you know that I5+ is IO3-, you can write it now. But iodine is diatomic, so ten electrons must be processed:

[tex]2IO_3^- + 10e^- \longrightarrow I_2[/tex]

Now that we balanced the electrons, only atomic balance is left to complete this half redox reaction. Reaction proceeds in acidic medium, so we must include H+ on the left side; as oxygen is no longer present in the right side, and we put H+, you can easily conclude that water will be present on the right side:

[tex]2IO_3^-+10e^-+12H^+\longrightarrow I_2+6H_2O[/tex]

At last, you must be sure that both electrons and atoms are balanced. Do the same for bisulfate-sulfate redox and show your work.

chem_tr said:
So-crates is right, maybe you can try one additional step before writing the actual ions: Write them in their plain ionic type (like I5+ and I0) to see how many electrons are leaving exactly. Then convert them to the actual ions.

[tex]I^{5+} +5e^-\longrightarrow I^0[/tex]

As you know that I5+ is IO3-, you can write it now. But iodine is diatomic, so ten electrons must be processed:

[tex]2IO_3^- + 10e^- \longrightarrow I_2[/tex]

Now that we balanced the electrons, only atomic balance is left to complete this half redox reaction. Reaction proceeds in acidic medium, so we must include H+ on the left side; as oxygen is no longer present in the right side, and we put H+, you can easily conclude that water will be present on the right side:

[tex]2IO_3^-+10e^-+12H^+\longrightarrow I_2+6H_2O[/tex]

At last, you must be sure that both electrons and atoms are balanced. Do the same for bisulfate-sulfate redox and show your work.

Hi

I guess the second reaction must then be:

[itex]HSO_3^- \rightarrow SO_4^{2-}[/itex]

[itex]S^{5+} + 5e^- \rightarrow S^{4+} + 4e^-[/itex]

[itex]HSO_3^{-} + 5e^- \rightarrow SO_4^{2-} + 4e^-[/itex]

Correct?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely
Fred

I'm afraid these are incorrect; in redox reactions, you place the electrons in one side, not two. If an ion is to be reduced, electrons go into this ion, so electrons are included in the left side of half reaction. The same can be said for oxidations, you write the electron(s) on the right side.

It seems that you have not determined the oxidation states correctly. Take oxygen 2- and hydrogen 1+ and recalculate.

If I understand it correctly, you first convert the ion to be oxidized into its neutral state by reduction, then oxidize. This is not logical, subtracting just two electrons are enough.

Recheck the oxidation number of S in the bisulfite!

pack_rat2 said:
Recheck the oxidation number of S in the bisulfite!

Thanks for Your answer.

Then the correct balance must be since its an oxidation:

[itex]H_{2}O + HSO_{3}^{-} \rightarrow SO_{4}^{2-} + 3H+[/itex]

But why isn't the oxdidation number for [itex]HSO_{3}^{-}[/itex] 5 since Sulphur is group number 6 and the as You write the oxidation number for O is -2 and for Hydrogen 1 ?

/Fred

Last edited:
Your redox is incorrect again :smile:

If this is an oxidation, where is your electron? The correct one should be like this:

[tex]H_2O + HSO_3^- \longrightarrow H_2SO_4 + 2e^- + H^+[/tex]

In bisulfite, put 1+ for hydrogen, and 2- for oxygen. You will find 4+ for sulfite sulfur. Do the same thing for sulfate to find 6+. Two electrons must leave bisulfite ion.

Suggestion: Determine the oxidation number for each element that is oxidized or reduced, ie, S and I. Remember that O is (almost) always -2 and H is (almost) always +1. Then write the half-reactions for those elements...don't bother including H and O in them.

1. What is a redox process?

A redox process, short for reduction-oxidation process, is a chemical reaction in which one substance loses electrons (oxidation) while another substance gains electrons (reduction).

2. What is the importance of redox processes?

Redox processes play a crucial role in various biological and chemical processes, including metabolism, energy production, and the formation of compounds. They also have practical applications in industries such as electronics, batteries, and water treatment.

3. How do you determine if a redox reaction has occurred?

To determine if a redox reaction has occurred, you can use the oxidation number method. This involves assigning oxidation numbers to each element in the reactants and products and comparing them to see if any have changed. If there is a change in oxidation number, a redox reaction has occurred.

4. What is the difference between oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation is the process in which a substance loses electrons, while reduction is the process in which a substance gains electrons. Oxidation and reduction always occur together in a redox process.

5. Can you give an example of a redox reaction?

One example of a redox reaction is the combustion of methane gas (CH4) in the presence of oxygen (O2). In this reaction, methane is oxidized to carbon dioxide (CO2) and water (H2O), while oxygen is reduced to water.