Finding Direction: Deciding Majors for 2nd Year Undergrad

• Programs
  • Thread starter wolfie56
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is in their second year of undergraduate education and was originally planning to double major in physics and mathematics and pursue a PhD in physics. However, they are now considering double majoring in physics and engineering or engineering and mathematics, or pursuing a Master's in engineering as a backup plan due to concerns about job prospects in academia and industry. They are seeking advice and have also considered the option of gaining programming experience and working in finance with a physics PhD. Ultimately, their current plan is to continue double majoring in math and physics and potentially minoring in an engineering discipline, and if they decide not to pursue a PhD, they will go for a Master's in engineering instead.
wolfie56
Hello. I am going into my second year of undergraduate education. I was originally planning to double major in physics and mathematics, and afterwards pursue a PhD in physics. However, I am currently undecided due to career prospects since the field is now difficult for both academia and industry, from what I’ve read. I am thinking I might double major in physics and engineering instead, so I can be an engineer as a backup plan. Or engineering and mathematics? Or pursue a Master's in engineering? I am lost right now, and need advice. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore job prospects for a moment. What do you want to do? Math? Physics? Engineering? There's no point in majoring or minoring in something that you're not going to enjoy.

I'm pretty much exactly like you (second year Physics and Math, and was thinking about switching to engineering) so I've thought about this a lot myself. The conclusion I came to was that job prospects for Physics (or math) PhD's are not bad at all, especially if you're willing to relocate to NY and work in finance and I think a very experienced person on this forum (twofish-quant) would agree with me on that. According to him starting salaries for a Physics PhD's working in finance in NY can be upto 130k and within a few years cross the 200k mark. Furthermore, if you can gain a significant amount of programming experience while doing your PhD, jobs as a programmer aren't hard to find either. From what I've heard jobs are poor in academia though, so as long as you're willing to leave academia, I think you should be fine with a Physics PhD.

After you are done with your bachelors and you decide that a PhD isn't for you, you can always go for a masters in engineering and then work as an engineer from there on. So my current plan is to continue double majoring in Math and Physics, maybe minor in an engineering discipline that I may find interesting, and if I don't feel like doing a PhD anymore, get a masters in engineering. Otherwise, I'm going to get a PhD and hopefully it should be fine job-wise.

Edit: For those finance jobs significant programming experience (especially in C++) is highly desirable, right twofish?

Last edited:

What is the importance of choosing a major during the second year of undergraduate studies?

It is important to choose a major during the second year of undergraduate studies because it allows for enough time to explore different options and make an informed decision. It also ensures that you are on track to complete all necessary courses for your chosen major.

What factors should be considered when deciding on a major?

Some factors to consider when deciding on a major include your interests, skills, values, career goals, and job market demand for certain majors. It is also important to research the curriculum and course requirements for each major.

What resources are available to help with choosing a major?

There are many resources available to help with choosing a major, including academic advisors, career counselors, online assessments, informational interviews with professionals in various fields, and campus career fairs. It is also helpful to talk to current students and alumni from different majors.

What if I am still undecided about my major after my second year?

If you are still undecided after your second year, it is important to continue exploring different options through internships, job shadowing, and taking elective courses in different subjects. You can also consider a double major or minor to gain knowledge in multiple fields.

Can I change my major after my second year?

Yes, it is possible to change your major after your second year. However, it may require taking additional courses and potentially extending your graduation timeline. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to understand the implications of changing your major.