Electronic Signal and System problem: Ratio of signal energy

In summary, the frequency response of a perfect lowpass filter with a bandwidth of BHz and a passband gain of 1 is given by |H(ω)| = 1/√(1+(ω/B)^2). To calculate the ratio of output energy to input energy, the squared magnitude of the frequency response must be multiplied by the input energy. This can be done by substituting in the values of B and ω given in the problem.
nidhalc

Homework Statement

x(t) is input into a perfect lowpass filter with frequency response H(ω), having a bandwidth of BHz and a passband gain of 1. For B = (2πT)^-1 Hz, calculate the ratio of the output signal energy to the input signal energy.

Homework Equations

x(t) = Ae^-|t|/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the input energy to be (A^2)/2 but I'm unable to find any equation which links the frequency response to the bandwidth in order to get the output energy. I have that |H(ω)| = gain. I've a feeling I'm missing something very basic here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

You are correct that you need to use the frequency response of the lowpass filter to calculate the output energy. The key here is to understand how the frequency response relates to the bandwidth of the filter.

The frequency response of a lowpass filter is typically given by the equation |H(ω)| = 1/√(1+(ω/B)^2), where B is the bandwidth of the filter. This means that as the frequency ω increases, the magnitude of the frequency response decreases. In other words, the filter attenuates higher frequencies.

To calculate the output energy, you will need to use the input energy and the frequency response. The output energy is equal to the input energy multiplied by the squared magnitude of the frequency response. So the ratio of the output energy to the input energy is given by:

Output energy/Input energy = |H(ω)|^2 = 1/(1+(ω/B)^2)

To calculate the value of this expression, you will need to substitute in the value of B given in the problem (B = (2πT)^-1 Hz) and the frequency ω of the input signal. Once you have done this, you should be able to calculate the ratio of the output energy to the input energy.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the ratio of signal energy in electronic signal and system problems?

The ratio of signal energy is the ratio of the energy of the signal to the energy of the system that is used to transmit or process the signal. It is often measured in decibels (dB) and is used to assess the performance of the system.

2. How is the ratio of signal energy calculated?

The ratio of signal energy is calculated by taking the logarithm of the ratio of the signal power to the noise power. This gives a more meaningful measure of the signal's strength compared to the system's noise level.

3. Why is the ratio of signal energy important in electronic signal and system problems?

The ratio of signal energy is important because it helps us understand the quality and efficiency of the signal transmission and processing in a system. It can also help us identify any potential issues or limitations in the system.

4. How does the ratio of signal energy affect the performance of a system?

The higher the ratio of signal energy, the better the performance of the system. This means that the signal is stronger compared to the noise level, resulting in better signal quality and less interference. A lower ratio of signal energy can lead to a decrease in system performance and may require improvements or adjustments to the system.

5. What factors can affect the ratio of signal energy in electronic signal and system problems?

The ratio of signal energy can be affected by various factors such as the quality of the signal source, the type of transmission medium, and the design and components of the system. Noise, interference, and signal attenuation can also impact the ratio of signal energy and should be considered when analyzing and improving the performance of a system.