Can you throw a knife that doesnt even rotate or spin

In summary: But you can do it with any other movie! In summary, Integral's advice is to not take what you see in the movies as anything more than entertainment. However, there is a combative method of "spear-style" knife throwing that keeps the tip pointed towards the target without rotation.
AnthreX
Specially in the movies... i see people throw knives at enemy's neck or the head
instantly killing them... some of the knife i saw.. fly straight without any rotations...

how can you throw a knife that doesn't even rotate or spin... and travel straight
with high velocity ? ( and the mass is not balanced in the knife, ofcourse metallic part would be heavier.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can do ANYTHING in a movie.

spear-style knife throwing

As Integral reminds us, don't take what you see in the movies as anything more than entertainment.

But there is a combative method of "spear-style" knife throwing that keeps the tip pointed towards the target without rotation. The advantage of spear style throwing is that it is less dependant on having exactly the right distance to the target: much more useful when you or your target is on the move. Compared to the conventional (and amazing) methods of circus knife throwers, it is a more realistic way to throw a knife under "combat conditions". (That is, if one were foolish enough to throw your knife in a life or death struggle! My advice: Hang on to that knife! :smile: )

Like anything else, it requires practice.

.. and to prove that what Integral has said is true, here is the Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics website:

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/index.html

I would hate to think there are people who pay serious attention to the "physics" seen in movies.

Zz.

I love that site! Any teachers out there, here's a great activity: show one of these movies ("Eraser" is my favorite) and stop the movie whenever an egregious error occurs. The movie cannot be restarted until the error is explained (by the students).

Unfortunately, you can't do this with "The Core" because it would involve stopping the movie every three minutes.

1. Can you throw a knife that doesn't rotate or spin?

Yes, it is possible to throw a knife that doesn't rotate or spin. This is known as a "no-spin" or "straight throw" technique.

2. How do you throw a knife without it rotating or spinning?

To throw a knife without it rotating or spinning, you need to grip the knife with the blade facing forward and the handle pointing towards your target. Then, with a smooth and controlled motion, release the knife towards the target without rotating your wrist.

3. Is it difficult to throw a knife without rotation or spin?

Throwing a knife without rotation or spin requires practice and proper technique, but it can be mastered with time and patience. It may be more difficult for some people compared to others, but anyone can learn with enough practice.

4. What is the purpose of throwing a knife without rotation or spin?

The purpose of throwing a knife without rotation or spin is to increase accuracy and precision. It is often used in target throwing competitions and can also be a useful skill in certain survival situations.

5. Can any knife be thrown without rotation or spin?

Most knives can be thrown without rotation or spin, but some designs may be more suitable for this technique. Generally, knives with a center of gravity towards the handle and a balanced weight distribution are easier to throw without rotation or spin.