Did I assume too much in this proof?

• Thread starter IntroAnalysis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the statement is true and can be proven using the definitions of set intersection and union.
IntroAnalysis

Homework Statement

Suppose F is a nonempty family of sets and B is a set. Prove that B U (∩F) = ∩AЄF(B U A).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x Є (B U (∩F)). This means (x Є B) ν (x Є ∩F). x Є F = {x l [itex]\forall[/itex]AЄF(xЄA)}.
Assume AЄF, then xЄA. Therefore, xЄB ν xЄA. This is equivalent to ∩AЄF(BUA).

Let xЄ ∩AЄF(BUA). This means xЄ{x l[itex]\forall[/itex]A(AЄF[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]xЄ(BUA)}. Assume AЄF, then xЄ(BUA). Thus, this is equivalent to BU(∩F).
Therefore, BU(∩F) = ∩AЄF(BUA).

Physics news on Phys.org

To prove this statement, we can use the definition of set intersection and union. The statement is essentially saying that the union of a set B and the intersection of a family of sets F is equal to the intersection of the set B with each individual set in the family F.

First, let x be an element of B U (∩F). This means that x is either an element of B or an element of every set in F. This can be written as (x Є B) ν (x Є ∩F). Using the definition of intersection, we can rewrite this as (x Є B) ν (x Є {x | ∀ AЄF (x Є A)}). This can be further rewritten as (x Є B) ν (x Є {x | ∀ AЄF (x Є B ν x Є A)}). This is equivalent to ∩AЄF(B U A), as x must be an element of both B and each set A in the family F.

Next, let x be an element of ∩AЄF(B U A). This means that x is an element of both B and each set A in the family F. Using the definition of union, we can rewrite this as x Є {x | ∀ AЄF (x Є B ν x Є A)}. This can be further rewritten as x Є {x | (x Є B) ν (x Є ∩F)}. This is equivalent to B U (∩F), as x must be an element of either B or the intersection of all sets in F.

Therefore, we have proven that B U (∩F) = ∩AЄF(B U A).

1. Did I assume too much in this proof?

This question is often asked by scientists when they are unsure about the validity of their proof. It is important to carefully review the assumptions made in a proof to ensure that they are necessary and justified. If you are unsure, it is always best to seek feedback from other scientists or experts in the field.

2. How do I know if I have made too many assumptions in my proof?

If you find yourself using multiple assumptions in your proof, it may be a sign that you have assumed too much. It is important to critically evaluate the relevance and necessity of each assumption to the overall argument of your proof.

3. Can assumptions be helpful in a proof?

Yes, assumptions can be helpful in a proof as long as they are necessary and justified. Assumptions can provide a starting point for the proof and can help simplify complex problems. However, it is important to not rely too heavily on assumptions and to ensure that they are relevant to the overall argument.

4. How can I avoid making too many assumptions in a proof?

To avoid making too many assumptions in a proof, it is important to carefully analyze the problem and identify the essential elements that need to be proven. This can help narrow down the necessary assumptions and prevent unnecessary ones from being made. It is also helpful to seek feedback from others to ensure that your assumptions are valid.

5. What should I do if I realize I have made too many assumptions in my proof?

If you realize that you have made too many assumptions in your proof, it is important to reassess and revise your proof. You may need to rework your argument or find alternative ways to prove your statement without relying on as many assumptions. Seeking feedback from others can also be helpful in identifying and addressing any issues with your proof.