Solving Second Order Differential Equations with Initial Value Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation for the values of y(0) and y'(0). The solution involves plugging in y(0) to find C=1 and then taking the derivative to solve for C2. The final solution involves two different constants, C1 and C2.
rbailey5

Homework Statement

I have got the diff equ problem solved out to

y(t)=Ce^-t*cos4t+Ce^-t*sin4t

Homework Equations

now I have to solve for the IVP and the values are y(0)=1, yprime(0)=-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe for the first part I just plug in the y(0)=1 which results in the e^-t dropping out
coming out to be C=1 but I am not 100% on it.

Then I am assuming I take the derivative and solve for the next value.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure those shouldn't be two different constants, as in y(t) = C1 e-t cos(4t) + C2 e-t sin(4t)

Then, you found that C1 = 1.

Now find y'(x) , then set y'(0) = -1 & solve for C2 .

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces.

What is the process for solving a second order differential equation?

The process for solving a second order differential equation involves finding a solution that satisfies the equation. This can be done by using various techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, or using a particular solution method such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters.

What are the initial conditions for a second order differential equation?

The initial conditions for a second order differential equation are the values of the dependent variable and its first derivative at a specific point. These conditions are necessary to uniquely determine a solution to the equation.

What are the applications of solving second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model the motion of objects, electrical circuits, population dynamics, and more. They are also important in understanding the behavior of systems over time.

What are the common methods for solving second order differential equations?

Some common methods for solving second order differential equations include the method of undetermined coefficients, variation of parameters, and power series solutions. The choice of method depends on the specific equation and initial conditions.