Show that a uniformly continuous function on a bounded, open interval is bounded

In summary: I don't know, interval maybe? Anyway, I am still struggling to see how you can use that to prove f is continuous.In summary, if f is uniformly continuous, it is bounded.
krissycokl

Homework Statement

Suppose that the function [itex]f|(a,b)→ℝ[/itex] is uniformly continuous. Prove that [itex]f|(a,b)→ℝ[/itex] is bounded.

Homework Equations

A function [itex]f|D→ℝ[/itex] is uniformly continuous provided that whenever {un} and {vn} are sequences in D such that lim (n→∞) [un-vn] = 0, then lim (n→∞) [f(un) - f(vn)] = 0.

A function [itex]f|D→ℝ[/itex] is bounded if there exists a real number M such that |f(x)| ≤ M for all x in D

Every bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]f|(a,b)→ℝ[/itex] is uniformly continuous. Then for all sequences un and vn in (a,b) such that lim (n→∞) [un - vn] we have lim (n→∞) [f(un) - f(vn)] = 0.

Suppose that f is not bounded. Then for all real numbers M, there exists a number x in (a,b) such that |f(x)|> M. Further, for all natural numbers n, there exists an xn in (a,b) such that |f(xn)|> n . Then {xn} is a sequence in the bounded, open interval (a,b). Thus {xn} has a convergent subsequence {xnk}.

Aaand...I'm not even really sure where I was heading with that. Direction would be greatly appreciated. This is a basic real analysis course, we haven't talked about metric spaces, Cauchy-continuity, or any of that stuff. So, whatever proof the text wants should use rather simple concepts. Thanks in advance for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you think you can extend f to a continuous function on [a,b]? That is, can you define f(a) and f(b) in a continuous way??

Another approach, similar to Micromass'ss idea: you know if f is continuous, it is bounded in [a-1/n,b+1/n] , for some integers n, or just in [a-e,b+e], for e>0. Now , use uniform continuity at a+e, and at b-e, to find a bound in an e-interval about each. As Micromass said; think of what happens with, e.g., f(x)=1/x in (0,1).

Don't mean to upstage you, Micromass, just to give a related version.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with this assertion: if f is continuous, it is bounded in [a-1/n,b+1/n]
For instance, f = 1/x is continuous in (0,1) but is unbounded and discontinuous in the closed interval [0,1].

[STRIKE]But, let me try to follow other than that...

For the lower endpoint:
Since f is continuous in the interval (a,b), f is continuous at a+e for some ε>0, ε<(b-a). Thus if lim (n→∞) xn = a + e, then lim (n→∞) f(xn) = f(a+e)

Then it follows that for all ε1>0, there exists a natural number N such that |xn-(a+ε)|<ε1 for all n≥N
and there exists a natural number N2 such that |f(xn-f(a+ε)|<ε1 for all n≥N2.[/STRIKE]

Uhm. I'm stuck again.

Oh, wait! Maybe, rereading what you've said...

Can I simply turn f|(a,b)→ℝ into a piecewise function f|[a,b]→ℝ, and
define a sequence {xn} such that a = lim (n→∞) xn and
define a sequence {yn} such that b = lim (n→∞) yn and I then set
f(a) = lim (n→∞) f(xn) and
f(b) = lim (n→∞) f(yn)

My problem with this last step is visualizing it. For example, I really can't see what value I could assign to f(0) in the case f(x) = 1/x such that the function would be continuous at x = 0. But I will continue despite my doubts...

Then f is continuous at a and b by definition. Then f is continuous on the closed, bounded interval [a,b].

Then, by the Extreme Value Theorem f has both a maximum and minimum value in [a,b] and thus f is bounded in [a,b].

Is that right? If any of it is wrong, I think it might be the piecewise definition part. It just smells too easy. But thanks for the help!

Careful, krissy:

If f is continuous in (a,b) implies f is continuous in [a+1/n,b-1/n], does not imply that

f continuous in (0,1), then f also continuous on [0,1]; read carefully.

Bacle said:
you know if f is continuous, it is bounded in [a-1/n,b+1/n] , for some integers n, or just in [a-e,b+e], for e>0.

This is what you previously said.

Did you perhaps mean it is bounded in [a+1/n,b-1/n]? The signs on the 1/n terms are different between your first post and your more recent one.

I did not use that logic in my proof, however. Aside from that, then, does my work make sense?

You're right, I made a mistake; it should be [a+1/n, b-1/n], altho the statement is true for _some_, tho not for all n.

The thing that confuses me about your proof is that I do not see where you used the fact that f is u.continuous on (a,b). And, remember that 1/x is not uniformly continuous on (0,1). My idea was to use the fact that for all ε>0 there exists a fixed δ>0 , so that |f(x)-f(y)|<ε
for |x-y|<δ , once you know that f is bounded on a compact interval.

1. What is a uniformly continuous function?

A uniformly continuous function is a function where the change in the output values is always proportional to the change in the input values, regardless of how small or large the input values are. This means that for any two points on the function, there exists a single value (delta) that determines the maximum difference between their outputs.

2. What does it mean for a function to be bounded?

A function is bounded if there exists a finite number that serves as an upper or lower limit for all of its output values. In other words, the function does not get infinitely large or infinitely small as the input values increase or decrease.

3. Why is an open interval important in this statement?

An open interval is important because it means that the endpoint values of the interval are not included in the domain of the function. This allows for more flexibility in defining the function and allows us to prove that the function is bounded on the interval.

4. Can you provide an example of a uniformly continuous function on a bounded, open interval?

One example is the function f(x) = 1/x on the interval (0,1). This function is uniformly continuous because for any two points on the interval, there exists a delta value that determines the maximum difference between their outputs. It is also bounded because it approaches infinity as x approaches 0 and approaches 1 as x approaches infinity, but never exceeds those values.

5. How is the uniform continuity of a function related to its boundedness on a bounded, open interval?

The uniform continuity of a function is directly related to its boundedness on a bounded, open interval. This is because the uniform continuity ensures that the function does not have any sudden jumps or discontinuities, which could cause it to become unbounded. Therefore, on a bounded, open interval, a uniformly continuous function must also be bounded.