WHAT IS THIS Phase Spectrum of this function.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding and graphing the magnitude and phase spectrum of a function after performing a complex Fourier series on it. The given series is ##\sum_{i=-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n\pi}\sin\frac{n\pi}{2}e^{jnpit}## and the corresponding phase spectrum is ##\frac{1}{n\pi}\sin\frac{n\pi}{2} + j(0)##. The speaker is unsure about how to find the phase for all values of n and how to choose between 180 and -180 degrees. They also mention previous doubts about the concept of phase spectrum and ask for clarification on the graph
jose_peeter
dear all,

after doing a complex Fourier series on a function. i am asked to find and graph the magnitude and phase spectrum of a function.

now to cut the long story short. let's say we arrived a Fourier series like this.

= [itex]\sum_{i=-∞}^{∞}[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex]exp(jnpit)

so [itex]c_{n}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex]

= the phase spectrum of a function is the phase of [itex]c_{n}[/itex], but notice that this is PURELY REAL like this.

=[itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex] + j *(0)

= phase is found as [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex] ( [itex]\frac{0}{[itex]\frac{1}{npi}[/itex]sin [itex]\frac{npi}{2}[/itex]}[/itex] )

= now is it not supposed to be zero for all n. but this function has a phase plot

= please explain to me how they did this,

my idea is that when we look at the complex plane.POSITIVE REAL part has angle 0 while NEGATIVE REAL part has 180 OR -180(I AM NOT SURE WHICH).

= please explain to me how [itex]tan^{-1}[/itex] 0/anything is accepted. AND which angle to choose 180 or -180

THANKS A LOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT...!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about the term "phase spectrum". If it means frequency spectrum, isn't that just a plot of ##|c_n|## against ##\omega_n##? Or is it something else?

I mean the graph of the PHASE against the frequency what you have suggested is the magnitude against frequency.

when you do it. please don't just show the graph, i know the answer but don't understand how to get it.
my doubts and questions i have asked in previous post above

thanks

What is the phase spectrum of a function?

The phase spectrum of a function is a plot that shows the phase, or angle, of the complex Fourier coefficients of the function as a function of frequency. It is a way to visualize the phase shift of each individual frequency component in the function.

Why is the phase spectrum important in signal processing?

The phase spectrum is important in signal processing because it provides valuable information about the time-varying characteristics of a signal. It allows us to understand how different frequencies are affected by the system that the signal has passed through, and can help us identify any phase distortion or delays in the signal.

How is the phase spectrum related to the frequency spectrum?

The phase spectrum and frequency spectrum are two different ways of representing the same information. The frequency spectrum shows the amplitude of each frequency component in the signal, while the phase spectrum shows the phase angle of each frequency component. Both are important in understanding the characteristics of a signal.

What does a flat phase spectrum indicate?

A flat phase spectrum indicates that there is no phase shift between different frequency components in the signal. This means that each frequency component is arriving at the same time, and there is no distortion or delay in the signal.

How can the phase spectrum be used to improve signal processing?

The phase spectrum can be used to identify any phase distortion or delays in a signal, which can then be corrected using advanced signal processing techniques. It can also be used to design filters that can selectively modify the phase of certain frequency components in a signal, allowing for better control over the signal's characteristics.