Selecting the Right Water Pump for 1500mm x 30m Hollow Pile

• Thread starter BertSmurf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump Water
In summary, the person needs to find a pump that can remove salt water from the inside of a hollow driven pile. The pile is 1500mm diameter and is 30m in length. They need help selecting the right pump.
BertSmurf
I need to select a pump that will remove all the salt water from the inside of a hollow driven pile. The pile 1500mm diameter and is 30m in length probably containing around 20m sea water.
does anyone have any ideas on how i go about choosing the right pump for the job?
I have no experience with pumps so any help at all would be apprectiated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, Bert;
Unfortunately, I know just about nothing in regard to this subject. It does seem to me, however, that more information would be helpful.
Is this a one-time deal, or a continuous operation? What sort of drive mechanism do you have in mind (electric of what wattage, gas, diesel, goats on a treadmill...)?
Does the term "salt water" mean raw seawater, or something with even higher salinity? That might make a difference when choosing materials for your equipment.
How far, and at what angle, do you have to move the efflux?
There are more considerations, but this is just a bit of a "heads up" to get you prepped.

I'd google salvage pump manufacturers and talk to their technical sales people

I would guess that you have over 1000 cubic feet (7500 U.S. gallons) of water in the pile, and because of its depth, you will have to lower an electric pump down into the pile. The pump has to be roughly 5 meters or less above the water surface. The pump could be operated either off the local utility, or off an alternator. So if you pumped 7.5 gpm, it would take ~100 hours. What is your timescale?

Some more info,
We are going to have to do this over and over, thesea water in the pile needs to be pumped vertically up the pile and out into the water.
We will be using a submersible pump, we can supply power from a generator we have nearby.
I suppose what I need to know is what calculations do I have to do to chose the right pump (ie a big enough one 10kW, 5 kW etc)
When I calculate the pressure head how do i know that my chosen pump will be able to perform the task effectively a number of times.

look up "sump pump". Not sure whether they have any problem w/ salt water.

OK
Here is a very crude estimate of the power required to pump 10 gpm (gallons per minute) up 30 meters (worst case).
Assume 60% pump electrical to mechanical efficiency
Assume pump 60% hydraulic efficiency
10 gallons = 38 kg
W =38 x 30 x 9.81/(0.6 x 0.6) = 31,000 joules per minute = 520 watts

You can scale from this.

1. What are the important factors to consider when selecting a water pump for 1500mm x 30m hollow pile?

The important factors to consider when selecting a water pump for 1500mm x 30m hollow pile include the flow rate, head pressure, power source, and durability of the pump. The flow rate should match the required volume of water needed to fill the pile, while the head pressure should be able to overcome the height and resistance of the pile. The power source should be compatible with the available power supply on site, and the durability of the pump should be able to withstand the demands of the project.

2. What type of pump is suitable for this type of project?

A submersible pump is the most suitable type of pump for this type of project. It can be easily lowered into the pile and can handle high flow rates and head pressures. It is also more durable and can withstand the harsh conditions of being submerged in water for a long period of time.

3. What is the recommended flow rate for a water pump for 1500mm x 30m hollow pile?

The recommended flow rate for a water pump for 1500mm x 30m hollow pile is around 10-15 cubic meters per hour. This will ensure that the pile is filled with water efficiently without causing any overflowing or backflow.

4. How do I determine the head pressure needed for the water pump?

To determine the head pressure needed for the water pump, you will need to calculate the total height of the pile and add an additional 10-20% to account for any resistance or friction. This will give you the total head pressure that the pump should be able to handle.

5. Can I use a regular pump for this project?

No, a regular pump is not recommended for this project. Regular pumps may not have the required flow rate and head pressure to fill the pile efficiently. They are also not designed to be submerged in water for a long period of time, and may not be durable enough to withstand the demands of the project. It is best to use a submersible pump specifically designed for this type of project.