Heat capacity and its relation with internal energy

In summary, the thermodynamic equation for calculating the heat capacity in constant volume is Cv=dQ/dT. However, at isothermal condition, they came up with another equation Cv=dU/dT which is different from the equation at constant volume. The reason behind this is that at isothermal condition, the internal energy is only a function of T, not Q.
cooper607
hi everyone,
in thermodynamics, when we calculate the heat capacity in constant volume, we assume Cv=dQ/dT..

well, but at isothermal condition suddenly they came up with Cv=dU/dT...
so i am getting stuck with this concept how they replace dQ with dU?

i know U= internal energy is only a function of T, but what is the explanation behind it? please help with the derivation and clarification...

advanced regards.

Science news on Phys.org
You have to be careful with that "dQ" - there is no such thing as "Q" so there is no such thing as "dQ". Usually it is written "[itex]\delta Q[/itex]", which is an abbreviation for "T dS" to emphasize this fact. You only use the "d" in front of state variables, and there is no "Q" state variable. A state variable X obeys [itex]\oint dX=0[/itex]. In other words the integral around a closed path of a state variable is zero, and the integral between two points is not dependent on the path. [itex]\oint \delta Q[/itex] is really [itex]\oint T dS[/itex] and that's not necessarily zero.

The correct way to define the C's are [itex]TdS=C_V dT[/itex] at constant volume and [itex]TdS=C_P dT[/itex] at constant pressure.

You can write the fundamental equation (at constant number of particles) as [tex]dU=TdS-PdV[/tex] and since, by the chain rule, [tex]dU=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V dT + \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial V}\right)_T dV[/tex] you can see that at constant volume, [tex]TdS= \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V dT[/tex] so that [tex]C_V=\left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial T}\right)_V[/tex]

You can also write the fundamental equation (at constant number of particles) as [tex]dH=TdS+VdP[/tex] where H is the enthalpy (H=U+PV) and since, by the chain rule, [tex]dH=\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_P dT + \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial P}\right)_T dP[/tex] you can see that at constant pressure, [tex]TdS= \left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_P dT[/tex] so that [tex]C_P=\left(\frac{\partial H}{\partial T}\right)_P[/tex]

i know U= internal energy is only a function of T, but what is the explanation behind it? please help with the derivation and clarification...

I think you are mixing up several things you have been told.
Don't worry this is not uncommon there is a lot to get hold of in thermodynamics.

So firstly your statement about U is only true for ideal gasses. It is one of the possible definitions of an ideal gas and was proved experimentally by Joule. However it is not relevant here.

[tex]{\left( {\frac{{\partial U}}{{\partial V}}} \right)_T} = 0[/tex]

As regards your query about Cv,

It is not necessary to invoke entropy and considering your definition of Cv you may not have met entropy anyway.

Since your version of the first law probably reads something like

dU = δQ - pdV and your definition of Cv is

[tex]{C_v} = {\left( {\frac{{\delta Q}}{{\partial T}}} \right)_V}[/tex]

(RAP is correct it is not a good idea to use dQ)

So δQ = CvdT

Substituting into the first law

dU = CvdT - pdV

But at constant volume dV = 0

dU = CvdT

rearranging

[tex]{C_v} = {\left( {\frac{{dU}}{{dT}}} \right)_V}[/tex]

oh now i got it... i was mixing up the things really.. thanks for the great help and explanation rap and studiot...

regards

oh now i got it... i was mixing up the things really.. thanks for the great help and explanation rap and studiot...

regards

Glad you got it sorted

:wink:

1. What is heat capacity and how is it related to internal energy?

Heat capacity refers to the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a substance by one degree. It is directly related to the internal energy of a substance, which is the total energy possessed by its molecules. As the internal energy of a substance increases, so does its heat capacity.

2. How does heat capacity vary among different substances?

The heat capacity of a substance depends on its molecular structure and composition. Substances with stronger intermolecular forces, such as metals, typically have higher heat capacities than substances with weaker intermolecular forces, such as gases. Additionally, the heat capacity of a substance can vary with temperature and pressure.

3. What is the difference between specific heat and molar heat capacity?

Specific heat refers to the heat capacity of a substance per unit mass, while molar heat capacity refers to the heat capacity per mole of a substance. They are related by the molar mass of the substance, so specific heat can be converted to molar heat capacity and vice versa.

4. How does heat capacity affect the temperature change of a substance?

The heat capacity of a substance determines how much its temperature will change when it absorbs or releases heat energy. A substance with a higher heat capacity will experience a smaller temperature change for a given amount of heat energy, while a substance with a lower heat capacity will experience a larger temperature change.

5. Can heat capacity be measured experimentally?

Yes, heat capacity can be measured experimentally by determining the change in temperature of a substance when a known amount of heat energy is added or removed. This can be used to calculate the heat capacity of the substance using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature.