Magnetic Field measurements: Weird FFT signals I cannot explain.

In summary, a user is seeking help in identifying the source of discrete peaks in their magnetic field measurements. They used a sensor to measure the field and saved the data using a multimeter. The sampling rate was 1 data per second and they used the FFT algorithm to analyze the data. They are wondering what could cause these signals and are looking for suggestions from experienced physicists. Some possible explanations include interference from nearby experiments or the proximity of a computer. The user is also considering using an anti-aliasing low-pass filter and testing the measurements in a quieter location to determine the source of the signals.
tboh
Hi all!

First off: I don't know which forum to post this. I'm no grad student or PHD so academic forum seemed wrong, and it's not really just math, since it was the result of a measurment and the signals can come from environment, etc.

Ok. I measured the magnetic field using a sensor (HMC2003 of Honeywell) that gives me an analog output voltage dependent on the magnetic field. I have used a Agilent 34411A Multimeter to save the data on the computer.

Most important: Sampling rate was 1 data per second! 86400 measurements were made. Of the result I got I used the FFT algorithm (traing also different Windows just in case) of Origin 8.6. The result I got is shown in picture below.
http://postimage.org/image/j8jra66kl/

So my problem is basically this distribution of discrete peaks under an envelope. What can produce such a signal in my measurment? Also the number of peaks is different for the two envelopes at 0.2Hz and 0.4Hz and the difference of frequency the same, so the second should be no harmonic wave of the first. I found no signals of that frequency around my measurment location.

So at all those experienced physicists out there: What can cause these signals? Physically? Or some mathematical property?...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Could be higher frequencies (above 1Hz, that you are not filtering) ailiasing as a frequency component in your band of interest.

I also analysed the spectrum in other frequency ranges. The only real peaks I found for the harmonic waves of 50Hz, the power line frequency here. They should not be visible in a 1Hz sampling frequency... Especially not like that :)

Some thoughts:

Maybe it is real. What is the thing that you are measuring? A refrigerator? The Earth? Do the spurs go away when you remove the source (good luck if Earth)?

Maybe the magnitude of these spurs is not significant. What would be the field strength of these spurs (in gauss, not "dB") ?

You should be using a battery to power the sensor.

Too bad you can't power your Agilent with a battery.

Maybe it's the proximity of your PC? Try data logging without being connected to PC.

You should still be using an anti-aliasing low-pass filter on the output of your sensor.

I'm measuring the magnetic field in a lab. So basically everything, from Earth to some remaining signals from neighbor-experiments.

The strength of those signals is not so high with 250muGauss. But still its not completely insignificant (high precision experiment) and I don't know where it comes from. Identifying a source would help because I have to discuss the signal.

50Hz Signals from sensor are also there with Battery, I tested.
And I never heard of an anti aliasing low-pass before ^.^ Should it be used in general for measurements like that with sampling rates unter 1kHz?

You should do some level of AA filtering, depending on your band of interest and what amount of non-interesting signals are present outside your band of interest. For background read:
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3016/en#toc4

Try transporting your measuring system to a "quiet" place away from your lab. If you see the same thing, then the source of the mystery spurs is likely your measuring system, itself.

2^(100 / 6) = 104032
(~6 dB per bit in A/D)
noise

1. What is a magnetic field measurement?

A magnetic field measurement is the process of using specialized equipment to detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field in a specific area or location.

2. What is an FFT signal?

FFT stands for Fast Fourier Transform, which is a mathematical algorithm used to convert a signal from its original domain (such as time or space) to a representation in the frequency domain. In the context of magnetic field measurements, an FFT signal can provide information about the frequency components of the measured magnetic field.

3. Why are the FFT signals in my magnetic field measurements strange or unusual?

There could be several reasons for unusual FFT signals in magnetic field measurements. It could be due to interference from nearby electronic devices, changes in the magnetic field caused by external factors, or errors in the measurement equipment or technique.

4. How can I interpret or explain the weird FFT signals in my magnetic field measurements?

Interpreting unusual FFT signals in magnetic field measurements can be challenging, and it is essential to consider all possible factors that could be contributing to the strange signals. It may be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or perform further experiments to validate the results.

5. What steps should I take to ensure accurate magnetic field measurements?

To ensure accurate magnetic field measurements, it is crucial to use high-quality equipment, calibrate the equipment regularly, and perform measurements in an environment with minimal interference. It is also essential to carefully analyze and interpret the data and consider any potential sources of error.