Rolling Resistance Equation: Determine at 20 mph

In summary, the equation for rolling resistance for a wheeled vehicle at 20 mph is D = Crr * m * g * V. However, this equation can be simplified to D = Crr * m * g, as speed is often neglected at lower velocities. The coefficient of rolling resistance, Crr, is dependent on many factors and can vary with speed. For level surfaces where the weight and normal forces are equal, the equation becomes D = Crr * N.
Aerstz

Homework Statement

Determine an equation for rolling resistance for a wheeled vehicle @20 mph.

Homework Equations

(1) Drr = Crr * g * m * V

The Attempt at a Solution

(2) Drr = Crr * g * m

My real question: is velocity a valid part of the rolling resistance equation where speeds are slow (~20 mph)? I would like to check this with you because an equation I used in the past (1) includes velocity, yet other equations I found neglect it - most seem to neglect it. Are the two equations above over-simplified; do they have practical worth? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well your first equation can't be correct because the units are not consistent. The rolling resistance force can be approximated by D = Crr*m*g, where Crr is the dimensionless coefficient of rolling resistance which is a function of many factors, including speed, but speed is often neglected at the lower velocities. Even at higher speeds, the coefficient might change from say 0.010 at speeds up to say 20 km/hr to 0.015 at 100 km/hr. Just to give you an order of magnitude.

Circ

e size

Thank you for your clarification. I can now trust in equation (2).

I should have noted that eq 2 is for level surfaces and where the weight and normal forces are equal. In general, D = Crr N, where N is the normal force on the wheel.

Understood. Thanks again.

1. What is Rolling Resistance?

Rolling resistance is the force required to keep a tire rolling at a constant speed. It is caused by the deformation of the tire as it comes into contact with the surface it is rolling on.

2. How is Rolling Resistance calculated?

The rolling resistance equation takes into account several factors including the weight of the vehicle, the tire pressure, the type of tire, and the surface it is rolling on. The equation is: Rolling Resistance = Crr x Weight x Speed.

3. What is Crr in the Rolling Resistance Equation?

Crr, or coefficient of rolling resistance, is a measure of the energy lost due to the deformation of the tire as it rolls. It is affected by factors such as tire construction, tread design, and tire pressure.

4. How does speed affect Rolling Resistance?

As speed increases, rolling resistance also increases. This is because the tire must deform and rebound more quickly, resulting in more energy being lost. However, the increase in rolling resistance is not proportional to the increase in speed.

5. Can Rolling Resistance be reduced?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce rolling resistance, such as using tires with low Crr, maintaining proper tire pressure, and choosing smooth road surfaces. Additionally, reducing vehicle weight and aerodynamic drag can also help decrease rolling resistance.