Permanent Magnet vs. Electromagnet: What's the Difference?

In summary: Just to be clear, permanent magnets do not have current flowing through them. Take a screwdriver or other piece of iron/steel and repeatedly stroke along the length of it with a permanent magnet. The more often done, the more the piece of metal will become... magnetized.
Sedilclue said:
Same sign repulsion and different sign attraction doesn't explain WHY.
That can be the main problem here. No one is giving a nice answer.
A nice Mechanistic would ask for a mechanic model that can explain magnet properties. Instead of that Magnetic phenomena are explain as a quasi magic force.

In 100+ posts there have been 'nice answers', 'easy answers', 'academic answers' and others. Unfortunately none has proved to be satisfactory.

In as far as it can't be explained without resorting to a force which cannot be seen then it could be looked upon as "quasi magic". There is not a 'mechanical' answer to the question any more than there is a 'mechanical' answer to why this table is solid. Why expect things to have answers that are easy and accurate at the same time?

Physics news on Phys.org
When a magnet is broken into pieces, each piece is found to be a magnet with two poles.

image003.jpg

N===============S
N======S N======S

Why Does this Happens If We Broke Only South Pole then Why Does it is Automatically Converted To Both South And North Pole ?

Those other poles were there all along.

Xidike said:
When a magnet is broken into pieces, each piece is found to be a magnet with two poles.

image003.jpg

N===============S
N======S N======S

Why Does this Happens If We Broke Only South Pole then Why Does it is Automatically Converted To Both South And North Pole ?

You can view the top single bar magnet as made up of lots and lots of tiny small magnets
creating an overall large bar magnet

D

Why Does Magnet Become Demagnetized On Heating ??

davenn said:
You can view the top single bar magnet as made up of lots and lots of tiny small magnets
creating an overall large bar magnet

D

How does the tiny small magnets form north pole at one end and the same tiny small magnets form south pole at other end ? Very odd .. huh..

Xidike said:
How does the tiny small magnets form north pole at one end and the same tiny small magnets form south pole at other end ? Very odd .. huh..

nope, not odd at all.

the individual "particles" of iron that make up the magnet each have their own magnetic dipoles ( N and S) that when all combined and all aligned the same way, make up an overall larger magnet

and to answer your other Q about heat.
Excessive heat ( when the Curie Point) is reached, that alignment gets disrupted and the magnetic field can be weakened or even totally destroyed.

Dave

It's "very odd" that you are still asking these questions. I can hardly believe Xidike is real. You are failing the Turing test, I think.

davenn said:
nope, not odd at all.

the individual "particles" of iron that make up the magnet each have their own magnetic dipoles ( N and S) that when all combined and all aligned the same way, make up an overall larger magnet

and to answer your other Q about heat.
Excessive heat ( when the Curie Point) is reached, that alignment gets disrupted and the magnetic field can be weakened or even totally destroyed.

Dave

minor nitpick: the Curie point is a phase transition same as boiling or freezing. Its either all ferromagnetic, or its not.

chill_factor said:
minor nitpick: the Curie point is a phase transition same as boiling or freezing. Its either all ferromagnetic, or its not.

Phase transitions are at a fixed temperature for pure substances but, in many mixtures, the transition can be over a wide range of temperatures - consider what happens in engine coolant mixtures. I would expect the same to apply to magnetic materials.

Can magnetic lines of forces be seen ??

Yes. When they vibrate at optical frequencies.

sophiecentaur said:
Yes. When they vibrate at optical frequencies.

yup or indirectly when you place a bar magnet under a sheet of paper and sprinkle iron filings over the paper they will display the field lines :)

Dave

PS thanks for the backup, sophiecentaur

I've given up on giving sensible answers. Looking at this guy's personal profile, I would suspect he's playing with an AI program for his contributions to this thread. He'll be asking whether magnetism ever affected your relations with your Mother next.

if a conductor is placed in magnetic field then How can magnet cause the flow of current in that conductor ?

Xidike said:
if a conductor is placed in magnetic field then How can magnet cause the flow of current in that conductor ?

GOOGLE IT!

You are really starting to annoy people

Dave

Xidike said:
It will cause his ticket machine to burst into flames.
You are sussed my boy.

I think we're done here.