PF Thread Milestones: Reaching a Million Views and Beyond

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: Which corresponds to ~5% deleted posts.But how many of those posts were actually meaningful or added value to the discussion? That's something to think about when considering the number of posts on a forum or thread. In summary, the Lame Jokes thread on the Physics Forums website is expected to hit one million views today. This thread has been ongoing for several years and has surpassed other popular threads in terms of views. The closest thread to reaching a million views is the one discussing the Fukushima incident, which currently stands at 2.5 million views. The forum administrators have noticed an increase in traffic and popularity in
Evo said:
LOL!

Well, congrats boss! You've created a legacy.

Yep! Congrats!

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Bets for 5 million anyone? :D
It took 685 days to get 1 million posts, and we're a lot busier now than then. I'd estimate 550 +/- 50 days, or around Aug 4, 2014.

Astronuc said:
It took 685 days to get 1 million posts, and we're a lot busier now than then. I'd estimate 550 +/- 50 days, or around Aug 4, 2014.

Then allow me to be the first to guess Aug 5, 2014 :biggrin:

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Then allow me to be the first to guess Aug 5, 2014 :biggrin:

My guess is Aug 18, 2014.

I seem to be wrong on activity (posting that is). It is cyclical, and has trended somewhat down.

It might take around 650 days give or take, or less if the members online increases.

The visitors have certainly gone up. We routinely have 5000 or more guests online.

The next milestone is 400,000 members, 600,000 threads or >10,000 persons online

Attachments

• PFPostActivity.png
    PFPostActivity.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 774
Astronuc said:
I seem to be wrong on activity (posting that is). It is cyclical, and has trended somewhat down.

It might take around 650 days give or take, or less if the members online increases.

The visitors have certainly gone up. We routinely have 5000 or more guests online.

The next milestone is 400,000 members, 600,000 threads or >10,000 persons online

It appears PF is unattractive during the holidays.

micromass said:
I already have two gold memberships though, so can I donate this to somebody?
I donated some years back when I didn't understand anything (actually, I still don't understand anything), but I'd love to have Gold membership again! I'm just broke and jobless with a bunch of textbooks laying around at the moment...
Greg Bernhardt said:
Bets for 5 million anyone? :D
I'll take the next screenshot! :biggrin:

Astronuc said:

January 1 was a saturday, which is a trough in the graph and so I think that people visit PF less in the weekends.

Did something happen around October/November in 2011? There's a peak that goes all the way up to 3000.

mishrashubham said:
January 1 was a saturday, which is a trough in the graph and so I think that people visit PF less in the weekends.

Did something happen around October/November in 2011? There's a peak that goes all the way up to 3000.

Weekends, summers and holidays are low times.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Exactly the time when people aren't doing homework!

Drakkith said:

We need to create the "PF For More Homework" lobby group in Washington! :D

Drakkith said:
I think this is a general trend for internet boards, and not related to homework. I know the same trend (lower activity at weekends, holidays and hot summer months) from a gaming-related board, where you would expect the opposite for the first two factors.

Assuming ~1500 posts per day, my prediction for 5 million existing posts is November 30, 2014.
3:17 AM UTC :D

mfb said:
I think this is a general trend for internet boards, and not related to homework. I know the same trend (lower activity at weekends, holidays and hot summer months) from a gaming-related board, where you would expect the opposite for the first two factors.

I can see that. People are just doing other things during this time.

Doesn't the reduction correlate to when all of those IP bans on spammers were done? Half the known world got blocked IIRC. :bugeye:

Perhaps we should open the PF Dating subforum.

<runs and hides>

Evo said:

<runs and hides>

Dating? What's that again? Which isotope do I use?

Drakkith said:
Which isotope do I use?
Ideally, one with a low decay rate.

phion said:

:rofl:

Greg Bernhardt said:

But what about that peak that goes to 3000 posts?

phion said:

LOL

mishrashubham said:
But what about that peak that goes to 3000 posts?
That was Sept 14, 2011, a Wednesday, and probably the second or third week of university for many students in the US.

Astronuc said:
That was Sept 14, 2011, a Wednesday, and probably the second or third week of university for many students in the US.
Ah, I had searched to see if it was a spam attack, but nothing came up around that time frame.

Astronuc said:

Wow. That's disappointing. Usually, these milestones are exponential. :|

I remember a certain internet board that I visit celebrated how it took years to hit 250k members. And then within the next few months, they hit 1 million. And now they're at 3 million.

Why is the post count under 4 million again ? Where did 10000 posts go ?

Now: Threads: 562,511
Members: 383,651

dextercioby said:

Note that the Threads count was 572,317 when the Post count was 4 million.

dextercioby said:

dlgoff said:
Note that the Threads count was 572,317 when the Post count was 4 million.
We're looking into the situation.

AlephZero said:
Should we get worried if it's actually Feb 2 - Groundhog Day?

dextercioby said:

Maybe we really SHOULD get worried :smile:

Sorry folks I deleted the science jobs forum and that resulted in a 10k post drop.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sorry folks I deleted the science jobs forum and that resulted in a 10k post drop.
Good timing though. So we re-approach the 4 million post milestone.

So, I get yet another chance to make the 4 millionth post!

Does that mean another 4M chat today?

Edit: Or is making up 10K posts impossible, even on a winter weekend?

Last edited:
Evo said:
To increase the number of potential PF-users in 15+ years?

Greg Bernhardt said:
That is a cheap method to increase the frequency of milestones :p.

It should take about 7 days to recover 10 K posts.

Astronuc said:
It should take about 7 days to recover 10 K posts.
OK. I thought that might have been aggressive, but I have no idea at what rate posts accumulate. Of course, if micro is hell-bent on posting #4M, he might flood the forum. :tongue:

mfb said:
To increase the number of potential PF-users in 15+ years?.
:rofl:

Greg Bernhardt said:

Why??

*sigh*... But I guess that means another chat opportunity. :biggrin:

<h2>What is the significance of reaching a million views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Reaching a million views on a PF thread is a significant milestone because it means that the thread has generated a lot of interest and engagement from the community. It also indicates that the topic of the thread is relevant and valuable to readers.</p><h2>How long does it typically take for a PF thread to reach a million views?</h2><p>The time it takes for a PF thread to reach a million views varies greatly and depends on several factors such as the popularity of the topic, the quality of the content, and the level of engagement from the community. Some threads may reach a million views in a matter of days, while others may take months or even years.</p><h2>What are some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread include creating a catchy and informative title, regularly updating the thread with new content, promoting the thread on social media platforms, and actively engaging with readers by responding to comments and asking for their input.</p><h2>Can reaching a million views on a PF thread lead to any opportunities?</h2><p>Yes, reaching a million views on a PF thread can lead to various opportunities such as collaborations with other scientists or researchers, invitations to speak at conferences or events, and potential media coverage for the topic of the thread.</p><h2>What are some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread?</h2><p>Some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread include managing a large number of comments and responses, addressing any misinformation or negative comments, and maintaining the quality and relevance of the content to keep readers engaged.</p>

What is the significance of reaching a million views on a PF thread?

Reaching a million views on a PF thread is a significant milestone because it means that the thread has generated a lot of interest and engagement from the community. It also indicates that the topic of the thread is relevant and valuable to readers.

How long does it typically take for a PF thread to reach a million views?

The time it takes for a PF thread to reach a million views varies greatly and depends on several factors such as the popularity of the topic, the quality of the content, and the level of engagement from the community. Some threads may reach a million views in a matter of days, while others may take months or even years.

What are some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread?

Some strategies for increasing views on a PF thread include creating a catchy and informative title, regularly updating the thread with new content, promoting the thread on social media platforms, and actively engaging with readers by responding to comments and asking for their input.

Can reaching a million views on a PF thread lead to any opportunities?

Yes, reaching a million views on a PF thread can lead to various opportunities such as collaborations with other scientists or researchers, invitations to speak at conferences or events, and potential media coverage for the topic of the thread.

What are some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread?

Some potential challenges that may arise after reaching a million views on a PF thread include managing a large number of comments and responses, addressing any misinformation or negative comments, and maintaining the quality and relevance of the content to keep readers engaged.