Need help with Matlab's Mapping Toolbox

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter MartinV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mapping
In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of plotting earthquake positions on a map using Matlab's Mapping Toolbox. The person is confused about how to load a high resolution map and is seeking advice from someone who has used the Toolbox before. However, it is later discovered that the Mapping Toolbox was not necessary for this task.
MartinV
I'm trying to plot positions of earthquakes on a map. The primary goal is to make Matlab plot a map so I can put the positions of earthquakes on it. I've read through the help section for Matlab's Toolbox but to be honest I'm still confused about it.

Has anyone used Mapping Toolbox to know how to get a high resolution map loaded into Matlab? So far all I've been able to plot were shape files which only show continents or country borders. I need something more precise.

Physics news on Phys.org
someone with a similar problem

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/163617

Huh. I guess I didn't need the Mapping stuff after all.

Thanks, jedishrfu.

1. What is Matlab's Mapping Toolbox and what does it do?

The Mapping Toolbox is a collection of tools and functions in Matlab that allow for the creation, manipulation, and visualization of geographical and geospatial data. It is commonly used for tasks such as creating maps, analyzing spatial data, and performing geospatial calculations.

2. How can I install the Mapping Toolbox in Matlab?

The Mapping Toolbox is typically installed by default with newer versions of Matlab. However, if it is not already installed, it can be easily added by going to the "Add-Ons" tab in the Matlab toolbar and selecting "Get Add-Ons". From there, you can search for and install the Mapping Toolbox.

3. What types of data can be used with the Mapping Toolbox?

The Mapping Toolbox is designed to work with a variety of geospatial data, including shapefiles, GeoTIFFs, GPS data, and other common formats. It can also work with data from web-based mapping services, such as Google Maps or OpenStreetMap.

4. How do I create a map using the Mapping Toolbox?

To create a map, you will need to first import your geospatial data into Matlab using the appropriate function from the Mapping Toolbox. Then, you can use functions such as "geoshow" or "mapshow" to display the data on a map. You can also customize the map by adding features such as legends, titles, and labels.

5. Can the Mapping Toolbox be used for more than just creating maps?

Yes, in addition to map creation, the Mapping Toolbox also has functions for performing geospatial calculations, such as distance and area measurements, as well as tools for analyzing and visualizing data on a map. It can also be used for tasks such as geocoding and georeferencing images.