Analytical solution of nonlinear ordinary differential equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a first-order nonlinear ordinary differential equation and the search for methods to solve it. The equation involves two variables, x and y, and the goal is to find either an exact or approximate solution. Various methods are mentioned, such as homotopy perturbation analysis and the fixed point analytic method. The conversation also delves into the behavior of the equation at long times and the initial conditions. The importance of the ratio between the variables W and γ is emphasized, and the idea of replacing x with z and solving for z is suggested. The conversation also references a common method for solving such equations and asks for further clarification on its rationale.
nitin7785
Dear All,

I have following first order nonlinear ordinary differential and i was wondering if you can suggest some method by which either i can get an exact solution or approaximate and converging perturbative solution.

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = 2Wx + 2xy - 4x^{3}[/tex][tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = \gamma \, (x^{2} - y)[/tex]

Kindly help me with any methods you that might work and it will be great if you can provide few references where i can read about those methods.

Also If somebody can help me about how I can use fixed point analytic method to solve this differential equations and some references on it, will be very useful too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

PS. I tried homotopy perturbation analysis and simple iteration procedure to try to solve it and it diverges after some time(good only for early short times).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would multiply the first equation by x, then reexpress the equations in terms of z, where z = x2. I would also solve for the long time solution, which is z = y = W. How do W and γ compare in magnitude? The answer to this question is important. Also, consider the behavior at long times, less than t = ∞, by writing z = W+εz and y = W+εy. What are the initial conditions on the problem? This could also be relevant.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I would multiply the first equation by x, then reexpress the equations in terms of z, where z = x2. I would also solve for the long time solution, which is z = y = W. How do W and γ compare in magnitude? The answer to this question is important. Also, consider the behavior at long times, less than t = ∞, by writing z = W+εz and y = W+εy. What are the initial conditions on the problem? This could also be relevant.

Chet

Thanks for your answer.

W is between 0 and 1.

γ is between 0 to ∞.

Initial conditions are close to zero but cannot be zero.

It will be very kind of you if you can elaborate on your answer.

Thanks,
nitin

nitin7785 said:
Thanks for your answer.

W is between 0 and 1.

γ is between 0 to ∞.

Initial conditions are close to zero but cannot be zero.

It will be very kind of you if you can elaborate on your answer.

Thanks,
nitin
What is the ratio of W to γ in typical situations? This ratio controls everything in the solution trajectory. Have you done what I suggested about replacing x by z? You can also reduce the equations to dimensionless form, at least in terms of the dependent variables, by setting z = Wz* and y = Wy* and solving for z* and y*. This will show that the time constant for the first equation is 1/W, and the time constant for the second equation is 1/γ. Please make the substitutions I have suggested, and show us what you got.

Chet

:shy: I think it is usually worth trying to differentiate such equations and hope to be able to eliminate y and y', then get an equation in only x, x' and x'' which may be solvable analytically. It seems to me you get here a second order linear (not constant coefficients) which you can then solve reducing it to a first-order eq. in variables x and p (= x'), ridding it of second derivative by x'' = p.dp/dx.
This idea is explained in para. 70 of Piaggio's DE book (switching around notation) but I think I've just said it. It is rather lengthy calculation by my standards and I have not completed a calculation, so am not yet confident.

I have not yet been able to make out whether this
GregoryS said:
The most common method to solve such equations you may find there: http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/solutions/sysode/sode0303.pdf
is the same method or a better or more general one and its rationale and I too would be grateful for some further elaboration. The quoted text reads like a confusing mistranslation - should 'is' be 'be'?

Last edited:

1. What is an analytical solution of a nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

An analytical solution of a nonlinear ordinary differential equation is a closed-form expression that describes the exact solution of the equation without the need for numerical methods or approximations. It is a mathematical function that satisfies the given differential equation and its initial conditions.

2. How is an analytical solution different from a numerical solution?

An analytical solution is a closed-form expression that provides an exact solution to a differential equation, while a numerical solution is an approximation obtained through numerical methods. Analytical solutions are typically preferred over numerical solutions as they are more accurate and can be obtained quickly for simple differential equations. However, for complex nonlinear differential equations, analytical solutions may not exist, and numerical methods are necessary.

3. What are the advantages of obtaining an analytical solution for a nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

One of the main advantages of an analytical solution is that it provides an exact solution without any errors or approximations, which can be useful in applications where accuracy is crucial. It also allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of the system described by the differential equation, as the solution can be expressed in a mathematical form that can be easily analyzed and interpreted.

4. Is it always possible to obtain an analytical solution for a nonlinear ordinary differential equation?

No, it is not always possible to obtain an analytical solution for a nonlinear ordinary differential equation. In some cases, the equation may be too complex to have an analytical solution, or the solution may involve special functions that cannot be expressed in closed form. In these cases, numerical methods are necessary to approximate the solution.

5. What are some common techniques used for obtaining analytical solutions of nonlinear ordinary differential equations?

Some common techniques used for obtaining analytical solutions of nonlinear ordinary differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and the method of integrating factors. These techniques are based on mathematical principles and can be applied to various types of differential equations to obtain analytical solutions.