Solve Ordinary Differential Equation: ln(y)=xy

• Thread starter vanceEE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffeq
In summary: The z-substitution method does not require the equation to be homogeneous in order to work. It is a method used to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve by substituting a new variable. In this case, z=x*y is substituted in order to eliminate the y^2 term and make the equation easier to integrate.
vanceEE
I've come across this problem while self studying Ordinary Differential Equations and I really need help. The problem asks me to simply eliminate derivatives, I do not need to separate. The book shows the answer, but not the steps.

problem:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{y^2}{1-xy}[/itex]

answer:
ln(y)=xy

So far, I'm here...

y' = [itex]\frac{y^2}{1-xy}[/itex]
y' = [itex]\frac{y}{\frac{1}{y}-x}[/itex]
y = y'([itex]\frac{1}{y}[/itex]-x)
y = [itex]\frac{y'}{y}[/itex] - y'x
[itex]\frac{y'}{y}[/itex] = y+ y'x
now integrating both sides we get..
ln (y) = ∫(y + y'x dx)

But how do I integrate y+y'x?

Physics news on Phys.org
vanceEE said:
I've come across this problem while self studying Ordinary Differential Equations and I really need help. The problem asks me to simply eliminate derivatives, I do not need to separate. The book shows the answer, but not the steps.

problem:

answer:
ln(y)=xy

So far, I'm here...

y' = [itex]\frac{y^2}{1-xy}[/itex]
y' = [itex]\frac{y}{\frac{1}{y}-x}[/itex]
y = y'([itex]\frac{1}{y}[/itex]-x)
y = [itex]\frac{y'}{y}[/itex] - y'x
[itex]\frac{y'}{y}[/itex] = y+ y'x
now integrating both sides we get..
ln (y) = ∫(y + y'x dx)

But how do I integrate y+y'x?

CAn't you use the product rule x'y + y'x

We want to integrate.
xy must be the solution to ∫(y'x+y dx) because the derivative of xy = y'x+y(1). I just need to know how to integrate this -> ∫(y'x+y dx)

vanceEE said:
We want to integrate.
xy must be the solution to ∫(y'x+y dx) because the derivative of xy = y'x+y(1). I just need to know how to integrate this -> ∫(y'x+y dx)
∫(y'x+y dx) is a non-sens.
∫(y'x+y) dx is correct.
(y'x+y) = (xy)'
∫(y'x+y) dx = ∫(yx)' dx = ? (obvious)

Likes 1 person
JJacquelin said:
∫(y'x+y dx) is a non-sens.

∫(y'x+y) dx is correct.

(y'x+y) = (xy)'

∫(y'x+y) dx = ∫(yx)' dx = ? (obvious)
(y'x+y) = (xy)'
Can you please explain
Thank you!

vanceEE said:
(y'x+y) = (xy)'
Can you please explain
Thank you!

given two function f(x) and g(x) then the derivative of the product f*g is:

(fg)' = f'g + fg' i.e. the product rule so you look at your integral notice that it fits the right hand side and rewrite it to be

the indefinite integral: integral( (f'g+fg')dx) = integral( (fg)'dx) = fg

Last edited:
Is this how you came to this conclusion?

(y'x+y)
= xy'(1+y)
= x([itex]\frac{d(1+y)}{dx}[/itex])
= x(0 + y')
= x(y')
= xy'
= (xy)'
so, ∫(xy)' dx = xy
Therefore,
∫[itex]\frac{y'}{y}[/itex] dx = ∫(xy)' dx [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ln(y) + C = xy
Correct?

Last edited:
vanceEE said:
Is this how you came to this conclusion?

(y'x+y)
= xy'(1+y)
= x([itex]\frac{d(1+y)}{dx}[/itex])
= x(0 + y')
= x(y')
= xy'
= (xy)'
so, ∫(xy)' dx = xy
Therefore,
∫[itex]\frac{y'}{y}[/itex] dx = ∫(xy)' dx [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] ln(y) + C = xy
Correct?

I think you're over complicating this. Have you learned the product rule when you took calculus 1? Just by inspection y + y'x you can see that there are two functions x and y with x' =1 and y' = y'

Hence integrating it just means you replace the y+y'x term with (xy)' then you can conclude that the integrated answer is simply y'x via the fundamental theorem of calculus right?

So is your problem going from integral(xy)' to get the ln(y) ?

jedishrfu said:
I think you're over complicating this. Have you learned the product rule when you took calculus 1? Just by inspection y + y'x you can see that there are two functions x and y with x' =1 and y' = y'

Hence integrating it just means you replace the y+y'x term with (xy)' then you can conclude that the integrated answer is simply y'x via the fundamental theorem of calculus right?

So is your problem going from integral(xy)' to get the ln(y) ?

How so? By using the product rule of differentation, we would be solving the equation backwards. I did not ask for the answer, I asked how to integrate y+y'x. It is clear that the derivative of xy is indeed (dy/dx)x+ y(1), but not every problem involving y in the integral will be as obvious as this problem. From the product rule of diff, sure y'(xy) = y'x+y, but I wanted to know how to integrate y'x+y, which would in fact be the way shown above, not over complicating it but simply using as a learning experience. Thanks for the help :-)

Equation made exact.

[itex]{\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2}{1-xy}}[/itex]
[itex] (y^2)dx+(xy-1)dy= 0 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{∂M}{∂y} = 2y [/itex]
[itex] \frac{∂N}{∂x} = y [/itex]
[itex] 2y ≠ y[/itex]
[itex]h(y) = \frac{∂N/∂x-∂M/∂y}{M} = \frac{-1}{y}[/itex]
[itex]\mu(y) = e^∫h(y) dy[/itex]
[itex]\mu(y) = 1/y [/itex]
[itex] \frac{1}{y}[(y^2)dx+(xy-1)= 0] [/itex]
[itex] (y)dx+(x-\frac{1}{y})dy= 0 [/itex]
[itex] \frac{∂M}{∂y}= 1 = \frac{∂N}{∂x} [/itex]
[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂x} = y[/itex]
[itex] f(x,y) = xy + \phi(y) [/itex]
[itex] \frac{∂f}{∂y} = x + \phi'(y) [/itex]
[itex]x- \frac{1}{y} = x + \phi'(y) [/itex]
[itex] \phi'(y) = -1/y [/itex]
[itex] \phi(y) = -ln(y) [/itex]
[itex] f(x,y) = xy - ln y + d [/itex]
[itex] xy - ln y + d = c [/itex]
[itex] xy - ln y = \tilde{c} [/itex]
[itex] xy - ln y [/itex] [itex]\equiv 0[/itex]
[itex] ln y = xy [/itex]

Last edited:
How about substituting [itex]z=x y[/itex]? Then you get
[tex]z'=y+x y'.[/tex]
Then
[tex]y'=\frac{z'-y}{x}=\frac{x z'-z}{x^2} \stackrel{!}{=} \frac{y^2}{1-xy}=\frac{z^2}{x^2} \frac{1}{1-z}.[/tex]
After some algebra you find
[tex]\frac{1-z}{z}z'=\frac{1}{x},[/tex]
which is solvable by separation of variables:
[tex]\int \mathrm{d} z \frac{1-z}{z}=\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{x}[/tex]
or
[tex]\ln |z|-z=\ln|x|+C \; \Rightarrow\; \ln \left |\frac{z}{x} \right| = z+C \; \Rightarrow \; \ln |y| = x y +C,[/tex]
which shows that your (implicit) solution is indeed solving the equation with the special integration constant [itex]C=0[/itex] and restricted to [itex]y>0[/itex].

vanhees71 said:
How about substituting [itex]z=x y[/itex]? Then you get
[tex]z'=y+x y'.[/tex]
Then
[tex]y'=\frac{z'-y}{x}=\frac{x z'-z}{x^2} \stackrel{!}{=} \frac{y^2}{1-xy}=\frac{z^2}{x^2} \frac{1}{1-z}.[/tex]
After some algebra you find
[tex]\frac{1-z}{z}z'=\frac{1}{x},[/tex]
which is solvable by separation of variables:
[tex]\int \mathrm{d} z \frac{1-z}{z}=\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{x}[/tex]
or
[tex]\ln |z|-z=\ln|x|+C \; \Rightarrow\; \ln \left |\frac{z}{x} \right| = z+C \; \Rightarrow \; \ln |y| = x y +C,[/tex]
which shows that your (implicit) solution is indeed solving the equation with the special integration constant [itex]C=0[/itex] and restricted to [itex]y>0[/itex].

Is this how you would go about the alegebra for the z-sub?
[tex]y' = \frac{y^2}{1-xy} [/tex]
[tex]z = xy \Rightarrow y' = \frac{z'-y}{x} [/tex]
[tex]y'=\frac{xz'-z}{x^2} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{y^2}{1-xy}=\frac{xz'-z}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{z^2}{x^2-zx^2}=\frac{xz'-z}{x^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{z^2}{1-z}= xz' - z[/tex]
[tex] \frac{z^2}{1-z} + z =\frac{xz'}{1}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1-z}{z}=\frac{1}{xz'}[/tex]
[tex] \frac{1-z}{z} * z' =\frac{1}{x}[/tex]
*Also, must an equation be homogeneous in order for z-substitution to work? Kinda confused because I don't see any homogeneity properties and this one's clearly solvable by making this substitution.

1. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation is an equation that contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function with respect to one independent variable. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. How do you solve an ODE?

To solve an ODE, you need to find the function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically or numerically. Analytical methods involve using techniques such as separation of variables or variation of parameters. Numerical methods involve using algorithms to approximate the solution.

3. What is the natural logarithm (ln)?

The natural logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is written as ln(x) and is the logarithm with base e. It is commonly used in differential equations as it simplifies expressions involving exponents.

4. How does the natural logarithm relate to solving ODEs?

The natural logarithm is often used in solving ODEs because it helps to simplify the equations by reducing exponential terms to linear terms. By taking the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation, we can often transform the equation into a more manageable form.

5. What is the solution to ln(y) = xy?

The solution to ln(y) = xy is y = e^(x^2/2 + C), where C is a constant. This can be found by taking the antiderivative of both sides of the equation and solving for y. The constant C accounts for the different possible solutions that satisfy the equation.