Logic of the set analyzer

• Thread starter Max0526
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic Set
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of logic in a set of numbers and the use of statistical estimation software to determine the probability of a number following the logic of the set. The software mentioned includes Limdep, SAS, Stata, EViews, Mathematica, and Maple. The application of this concept in number theory, specifically prime numbers, is also mentioned. The conversation ends with someone asking for assistance in using EViews.
Max0526
"logic of the set" analyzer

Hi;
I'll start from an example.
There's a given set of positive integers: {2, 4, 6, 8, 10}. The problem is to estimate a (relative) probability for any number (not included into the set) to follow the logic of the set. For the example above, the probable logic is: even numbers only. Following this conclusion one can say that numbers 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 have the same and higher probability (=1) to follow set's logic, then numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 (probability=0).
But the problem can be not so simple for a different set of data. E.g.: the set is {1, 3, 7, 11, 19, 21, 28, 31, 47, 53, 62, 69, 75, 76, 82, 98}. The problem is to estimate the relative probability for numbers 700, 800 and 900 to follow the logic of the set.

Now, my question is:
Does anybody know about existing piece of software (computer algebra of any kind - Mathematica, Maple, Mathcad, etc., Excel add-in, graph analyzer, some stand-alone product) that can perform that kind of estimation?

I would be very grateful,
Max

P.S. The application of this is number theory, specifically prime numbers. Examples of crazy unpredictable sets are available for example here: http://www.prothsearch.net/riesel2.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could throw in the numbers you have into a statistical estimation routine and run a probability estimation program like LOGIT or PROBIT. Examples of this kind of software are Limdep, SAS, Stata, EViews, Mathematica, Maple, etc. The model I would use would be:

Binary 0 or 1 = Probit(char1, char2, ..., charN)

where each "char" is a distinct characteristic of the numbers in the set. In your even numbers example, N=1 and char1 = 1 if the number is even, char1 = 0 if it is odd.

For the set {1, 9, 25, 49, 81}, N=2 and char1 = 1 if the number is a perfect square, char = 0 if it is not a perfect square, char2 = 1 if the number is odd, char2 = 0 if it is even.

Thanks a lot, EnumaElish.
The keywords were LOGIT and PROBIT. And I found a lot of software in the Inet (e.g.: http://www.oswego.edu/~economic/econsoftware.htm). I'll try to test the soft on my data. Hopefully, some of it will return a good result.
Thanks again,
Max.

Hi...
I am A new one ...and I want someone hlep me in eviews ..how can I get this assisstance,...
thank

What is the "Logic of the set analyzer"?

The "Logic of the set analyzer" is a tool used in mathematics and computer science to analyze and manipulate sets, which are collections of objects or elements. It allows for the evaluation of set operations, such as union, intersection, and complement, and helps to identify patterns and relationships within sets.

How does the "Logic of the set analyzer" work?

The "Logic of the set analyzer" uses logical principles and algorithms to perform operations on sets. It follows the rules of set theory, such as the commutative and associative properties, to manipulate and compare sets. It can also use Venn diagrams and other visual aids to represent and analyze sets.

What are the benefits of using the "Logic of the set analyzer"?

The "Logic of the set analyzer" provides a systematic and efficient way to analyze sets, which can be helpful in various fields such as mathematics, computer science, and data analysis. It can also assist in identifying patterns and relationships within sets, which can lead to further insights and discoveries.

What are some common applications of the "Logic of the set analyzer"?

The "Logic of the set analyzer" is commonly used in mathematics and computer science, particularly in fields such as set theory, combinatorics, and database management. It can also be useful in data analysis and decision-making processes, as it allows for the manipulation and comparison of large sets of data.

Are there any limitations to the "Logic of the set analyzer"?

While the "Logic of the set analyzer" is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to handle extremely large or complex sets, and it relies on the accuracy and completeness of the input data. Additionally, it may not be suitable for analyzing non-numeric or non-binary sets, such as sets of words or images.