Finding Mass and Distance using apparent Weight

In summary: Apparent Weight = mg(1+a/g)It seems you've done that part correctly. Please write the formulas for distance and velocity at 2 s, and then at 10 s, and then at 12 s, so we can see how you determine the cumulative distance.k well i did for t=0 to t=2x = (0)(2) +1/2 (1.962)(2)^2x = 3.924mVf^2 = (0)^2 +2(1.962)(3.924)Vf = 3.924is that correct so far?
iHate Physics

Homework Statement

Henry gets into an elevator on the 50th floor of a building and it begins moving at t=0s The figure shows his apparent weight over the next 12s.

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8404/knightfigure0530ry3.th.jpg

What is Henry's mass?
How far has Henry traveled at t =12s

Homework Equations

F=ma
w=mg
weight apparent = w(1+ a/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well so far, all I know is that the elevator is moving down since the apparent weight has gone up. I have no idea how to approach the problem and I have tried using the third formula that I have listed but no luck. Do I even use the apparent weight equation? Because I need the acceleration, and no information has been given on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the way I would read that, is that the elevator accelerates downard initially for 2 seconds, since Henry is lighter, then descends at constant speed (from which one can get Henry's weight), then decelerates (Henry is heavier), and then stops (from which one again get's Henry's weight).

One needs to determine when to apply W = m(g-a) and W = m(g+a).

Oh, I see, so you would you would use 750 N as his weight when determining the mass. Thanks for explaining the graph to me. Even our prof never explained this kinda graph to us. To me this is new material. k, Lemme try to find the distance now. I would need to find the acceleration first right?

Last edited:
ouch, ok nevermind... Anyone have any tips on how to approach this when finding distance?

For an approximation, one could assume constant acceleration.

Then there are three parts of the problem to find distance - the initial drop at constant acceleration, the descent at constant velocity, and the descent during deceleration.

See this reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html

but wouldn't i need the velocity as well? i have acceleration as 1.962 m/s.

Start with an initial velocity of zero at t = 0s.

Use the acceleration to find the distance and velocity at t = 2s. That velocity is the initial velocity and constant velocity for the period t =2 s to t = 10 s.

Determine the distance for that period.

Then use that intial velocity and deceleration for the final period 10 s to 12 s, when velocity goes to zero because the elevator stops.

Do i add all the distances up?

iHate Physics said:
Do i add all the distances up?
Sure, why not?

Argh, i don't know what I am doing wrong but the answer i keep getting is wrong. Is my acceleration correct?

About 1.96 m/s2 is correct. Here I'm assuming a step change in acceleration. From the curve, it looks like it changes rapidly from 1.96 to 0 between 2 and 2.2 s, so that could be a source of error, but it should be relatively small.

Please write out the formulas one is using.

Last edited:
ok well i got 62.784 m as the total distance traveled after 12 secs. Is that correct?

oh well I used the formula i mentioned in the beginning

Apparent Weight = mg(1+a/g)

Basically for t=0 to t=2 i got 3.924 m
t=2 to t=10 i got 31.392m
t=10 to t=12 i got 27.468m

and i got the total to be 62.784m

whoops i should start editing my posts instead of continuously posting. Sorry.

iHate Physics said:
oh well I used the formula i mentioned in the beginning

Apparent Weight = mg(1+a/g)
It seems you've done that part correctly.

Please write the formulas for distance and velocity at 2 s, and then at 10 s, and then at 12 s, so we can see how you determine the cumulative distance.

k well i did for

t=0 to t=2

x = (0)(2) +1/2 (1.962)(2)^2

x = 3.924m

Vf^2 = (0)^2 +2(1.962)(3.924)
Vf = 3.924

is that correct so far?

then for t = 2 to t = 10 Constant Velocity so a = 0

x = 3.924 (8) + 1/2 (0)(8)^2 Took t=8 since 10-2 = 8

x = 31.392m

then for t=10 to t=12

x = (3.924)(2) + 1/2 (-1.962)(2)^2

x = 3.924m

and the total i got was 39.24 m ( Realized i had an error in there so i changed it)

oh cool it was right. Thanks Astronuc.

1. How is apparent weight different from actual weight?

Apparent weight is the weight that an object appears to have when it is measured on a scale in a non-inertial frame of reference, such as when it is accelerating or decelerating. Actual weight is the true weight of an object when measured in a stationary frame of reference.

2. What is the relationship between mass, distance, and apparent weight?

The apparent weight of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. As the mass or distance increases, the apparent weight also increases.

3. How can apparent weight be used to find the mass of an object?

Using the formula F=ma, where F is the apparent weight, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration due to gravity, we can rearrange the equation to solve for the mass. This can be done by dividing the apparent weight by the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does the distance between an object and the center of the Earth affect its apparent weight?

The farther an object is from the center of the Earth, the weaker the gravitational force acting on it. This results in a decrease in the object's apparent weight. The closer an object is to the center of the Earth, the stronger the gravitational force and the greater the apparent weight.

5. Can apparent weight be used to determine the distance between an object and the center of the Earth?

Yes, if the mass of the object is known, the formula for apparent weight (F=ma) can be rearranged to solve for the distance. This can be done by dividing the apparent weight by the product of the mass and the acceleration due to gravity.